Buying a new car is nightmare - dxp55
SWMBO X reg Yaris 1.3SR is now due for renewal - so I spent this last week looking around and being a long term Mazda man - we ( I ) decided on Mazda 3 auto - ran down autotrader etc and gleaned prices of 06-07 -08 cars and prices - fine -- today we went to local Ford/Mazda dealer to look and in showroom was a unregistered 1.4 Fiesta Ghia petrol on offer for £9999 (pre facelift)- £3k off list (Yea) this car has everything but auto and heated seats but doing the sums it seems more practical to go for manual than auto and it's cheaper to run than Mazda. Not being a Ford man what are the 1.4 engines like for reliability in fact what is the whole car like to own -- We only cover about 7k miles a year so diesel really doesn't make economic sense unless I could get one for same price - I asked and salesman said no diesels left -- As a cash buyer with no partX would I be able to bargain on price that is asked - I know it can't hurt to ask but realistically would a main Ford dealer move on sticker price. - if I wait till next weekend would the salesmen be jumping.
Buying a new car is nightmare - alex

It would seem best to wait for a few days.

According to the online Daily Telegraph this evening (www.telegraph.co.uk) there are strong rumours that the Government will temporarily cut the rate of VAT.

An announcement will be made on Monday.
Buying a new car is nightmare - smokie
I thought I heard ages ago that VAT rates were determined by the EU and the Govt could not choose what it wanted to charge...

Edited by smokie on 22/11/2008 at 23:35

Buying a new car is nightmare - MikeTorque
The 1.4 is a pretty hardy engine and has been around for some time now. As it's the previous Fiesta version it'll lose value quickly but if you're planning to hold onto it for many years that's not a problem. You can haggle the price down hard, it's a buyers market and Ford will want to shift old stock asap.

Before buying take a test drive in the new Fiesta version and compare it with the 1.4 Ghia you're interested in, and then wait to hear what No.11 says on Monday.
Buying a new car is nightmare - rtj70
The EU controls minimum level of VAT (15%) but maybe they can remove it from some items?

Edited by rtj70 on 23/11/2008 at 00:05

Buying a new car is nightmare - nick
I thought the minimum level of VAT was 5% but I may be wrong.
Buying a new car is nightmare - uk_in_usa
I thought the minimum level of VAT was 5% but I may be wrong.

Definitely 15%. That's as low as they are allowed to go (by the EU)
Buying a new car is nightmare - Another John H
>>The EU controls minimum level of VAT (15%)

That'll be a mind blowing 2 1/2% reduction, then.

£250 less on a £10,000 car .....

Underwhelmed, or what?
Buying a new car is nightmare - Avant
Buying a new car doesn't need to be a nightmare. When I do, I enjoy it - and am truly thankful that I'm in a position to. Think positive.
Buying a new car is nightmare - Optimist
I suppose buying a car is a bit of a nightmare now in that you can't help thinking it might be a lot cheaper in three months.

Maybe. But if you get what you want and enjoy it you just have to accept that risk.

You can't have the penny and the bun!

Buying a new car is nightmare - daveyjp
If you have no part ex get looking on the web for a broker price then go and see your dealer.
Buying a new car is nightmare - Lud
I keep wondering dxp, if buying a new car is such a nightmare, what your wish-fulfilment dreams could be like...
Buying a new car is nightmare - Another John H
my figures above are too good!

the 2.5% is off the VAT component of the price, not the total, IE 2.5% off a total of 117.5%

gives a £212.77 reduction. Not £250

Beyond underwhelmed - might just save the price of a pub pint on a £100 purchase, depending on where you live.

AJH
Buying a new car is nightmare - dxp55
£200 would go a long way towards the towbar which we unfortunately need for small trailer -- anyway it's getting worse -- once you start looking at cars - something I haven't done for over five years you see all different ones you fancy - The Corsa SXi or something was tempting but "towbar"

Lud

I would love a dream - any dream as it would mean I managed to get a nights sleep- something that has eluded me for years.