06 2.2D Clunking noise - Tidzertornado
The Verso T3 I have owned from new (Jan 06) it's a 2.2 diesel,and has 15.600 miles on the clock,and has about 6 weeks to the end of it's warrenty,and goes for the last warrenty service Dec 1st
During the last couple of months, a "Clunk" has developed, either in the engine or the drivetrain, at least, the clunk seems to be coming from the front of the car.
When parked overnight, or for an hour or so,the clunk occures after driving a few yards from rest, and it only happens once per "driving time" and does not happen when parked for short periods ie traffic lights etc.
Front seat passengers when asked to listen, agree that the noise is mechanical, and "comes from the front".
The car is garaged,and parked in gear, with the handbrake off, I have dismissed a sticking handbrake as the problem.
I once tried parking on a hill, starting up as usual, and coasting down for some yards in silence before engaging gear, the clunk then occured, I will try this again this weekend.
would I be justified in suspecting the gearbox, or Heaven forbid,the dreaded "Dual Mass" flywheel (if this car has one)
Any ideas out there, before I tackle Mr Toyota next week, grateful for any comments. tidzertornado
06 2.2D Clunking noise - yokel38
see above thread... and yes I might be privy to some technical info.... ssshhhhh don't tell anyone!
well, don't keep it to yourself Sunshine!
Sunday eve, I coasted down a very long hill, engine running, after gathering enough speed for comfort, I applied the brakes, and I felt the dreaded clunk thro the brake pedal..therefore, brakes are back in the frame I think...is it something "releasing"? have noticed the thread on ABS, and am wondering..do you think Mr Toyota is aware of the problem (If there is one)..would appriciate any info before chatting him up..many thanks....tidzertornado
Hi Dave, Just read your thread on the main page..ah ha..you could be right!
I reverse into my garage down a pretty steep slope, and obviously go down braking..at first I thought that I was pushing the pads, or the calipers back (or doing something horrid) but crickey! they should manage a 15yd backward slope! my 170,000 mile Omegar did..and so did my 1965 (new) Beetle!!!...Many thanks for your answer..will post when Mr Toyota has finished rubbing me down with an oily rag next week!...tidzertornado...(I'm a Dave too)
06 2.2D Clunking noise - yokel38
As I posted ealier, this noise you are hearing isn't a fault as such, more of a characteristic. It certainly won't damage or impair your brakes, for some reason the noise is more apparant in certain vehicles than others. The special copper grease Toyota brought out (08887-80609) will quieten it down for a while at least, as I said earlier this isn't classed as a fault. and other than applying this grease to the back of the brake pads there isn't a great deal your dealer can do, changing the brake calipers at great expense, in all probability wouldn't even make that much difference.
Regards
Dave
OK..Righty Ho..Many thanks for your reassurance..the verso goes in to Toyota on monday..I,ll try really hard, not to be a smart ass, and tell them the (temporary?) cure! and see what they say and do..will post the result..Thanks again for your imput...Dave
Well..took the Verso to the Toyota Beutique this morn, for it's last warrenty service, told them about the "Clunk" in the brakes,they seemed to be aware of the "problem" and they did indeed grease the back of the pads, excess grease seem to be on calipers, which I shall wipe off, other than that, they said that everything was OK, which I knew already.
The "Bits" for the grease, oil change, and filter, with labour, lashed my wallet for 170 smakeroo's...maybe I'll use my local garage in future.now it's out of warrenty..when I emerge from my darkened room...Thanks Dave, for your advice, it was most appriciated....Dave