98 1.5d starting problems - huntish
Hi I just started to have trouble starting my 106 1.5 diesel yesterday.it allways started ok before.
what happens is the car turns over fine but will not try to fire if you put the key in and out of the ignition and turn it off and on it will eventually start.
the problem as far as I can tell is from the immobilizer or the fuel cut-off solenoid is sticking.

Does anyone know how I can test these to see if they are the problem.
the immobilizer is the type with the chip in the key.

thank you
98 1.5d starting problems - 659FBE
Immobiliser. Remove steering wheel shrouds and unclip transponder aerial assembly from ignition lock barrel.

If competent/brave, open up and clean and straighten the pins connecting the transponder aerial loop to the circuit board. File the housing a little and fix the board with blutack to ensure 2 pin connector is fully mated. Very lightly coat the pins with petroleum jelly - they tarnish.

If not brave, replace transponder receiver unit.

Hi thanks for the reply is there any way to see if the immobilizer is working before taking the transponder to bits.
thank you
is there a way to bypass the immobilizer so you don't have to use it anymore
98 1.5d starting problems - Screwloose

Don't overlook possible glow-plug or tappet clearance issues. When it eventually starts, is there a cloud of smoke?
hi there's no smoke and the problems the same when the engines hot or cold
98 1.5d starting problems - 659FBE
The Valeo transponder receiver unit is rather notorious on these cars. The Bosch fuel shut off solenoids hardly ever fail.

Glowplugs don't all fail at once, although the controller or its connections could be faulty. After a dead crank, sniff the exhaust. If the immobiliser is keeping the fuel off, there will be no smell of fuel or smoke.

Don't contemplate bypassing the immobiliser, the Bosch fuel shut off solenoid is behind a cast iron cover secured with shear head bolts - they really don't want you in there. Fixing or replacing the Valeo bit is dead easy.

Hi thanks for the help I will get one of the receivers next week from the dealers to try if I cant bypass the immobilizer before then.

one of the reasons I was thinking of trying to bypass it is when I got the car there was only one key with it .
I read a few ways you a supposed to be able to bypass it but dont know if they are correct

{info on possible ways to bypass the immobiliser removed. - DD}

has any one tried either of these.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/11/2008 at 20:36

98 1.5d starting problems - oilrag
It would help car thieves to have that sort of information. Not good posted on a forum.
98 1.5d starting problems - Peter D
It may even invalidate your insurance. Regards Peter
Hi I managed to get a receiver coil for the immobilizer and fitted it but still have the same problem.is there any thing else I could try.
does anyone have any idea what the problem could be