2001 2.0hdi - running problem - Fasteddie155
Ok i have a Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI with running problems so heres my story.
I bought my van and found a wekk later the head gasket had gone as it was pushuing out water from the expansion tank and the low water light kept coming on.
Booked it into a diesel spectialist garage and the comfirmed with a chemical test the head gasket was on the way out.
I booked it into the garage and guess what £350 labour and £350 parts for the pleasure.
I am had the following done:
Head removed
Crack pressure test and skim
Refit head
New head set and head gasket
New head bolts
Full cambelt kit (gates)
New water pump (had this done just incase)
Oil and filter
Anti freeze
4 new heater plugs
Got it back and after a couple of miles down the road the engine management light came on and it went into safe mode.
Took it back to the garage and they said it was coming up with low fuel pressure.
Cleared the light and on i went the light went on and off for the last week until one day i was out and the van was running all over the shop so limped upto the garage and they said try a new filter and this should sort it. So changed the filter and the light was still on .
The next day the light was out all day and i must have done 20 miles with no problems then on the way back home i started to feel a slight miss.
Then took it out today and the engine management light was back on, i did 2 miles down the road and parked up, came back to the van it started ok and then as i pulled forward it stalled. I tried to start it again but to no avail the after a minute tried again and aay it went, half a mile down the road it stopped again no judder or millions of lights on the dash just died and just the engine managment light on.
Waited another minute and off i went did the again on the way home and finally got home and now i am asking for help.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/11/2008 at 18:40

2001 2.0hdi Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI running problem - Screwloose

What was the fault-code found?
2001 2.0hdi Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI running problem - Fasteddie155
hi that was quick thanks.
Not sure i dont have a code reader and all the garage said was it was a pressure problem.

There are probaly 50+ PSA codes that mention pressure - exactly where the fuel pressure was lower than expected and why is all in the code.

Without proper data, there's only guesswork - and that is an expensive process on something as horrendously complex as an HDi.
ok i will ask somebody i know to do a read out.
Any inexpensive things to try.
Thankyou
forgot to mention its running on aswell whn switched the key off

If you mean throw parts at it, try:-

A set of injectors; £1570 fitted and coded.
A tank pump £250 fitted.
A high-pressure pump £900-£2,700 fitted.
A rail sensor £185 fitted.

A code-read; examination of the extensive live-data and an injector leak-off rate test is somewhat cheaper.
2001 2.0hdi Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI running problem - ex-Triumph man
I used to drive for a voluntary group who ran one of these vans. It was a gutless wonder at times. Did not go in to limp home mode or put management lights on, but a non franchised garage diagnosed a blocked catalyst.
May have nothing at all to do with your vehicle but worth a check even if it just eliminates the "cat".
2001 2.0hdi Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI running problem - oilrag
I wonder what the fuel filter was like when replaced - any comments from the garage? Regarding its fuel quality history that is.
I did the filter and it was a bit dirty but nothing unusual

Edited by Fasteddie155 on 21/11/2008 at 20:25

ok diagnostic guy came this morning fter this it the finding

1112 Rail pressure monitoring Malfuction
0340 Sync. camshaft to crankshaft signal improbable
0190 Rail pressure sensor signal too high
1138 Pressure regulator valve output stage error

Some of these may be due to the unpluging off plugs to find problem my me.

So he reset ECU and the van would turn off as usual, one problem solved.

Took it for a spin about 3 miles and 1 code error came back

1108 Speed communication to cooler fan idle

He tested the fan in pulse and it went on and off in both stages

I will now wait over the next couple of days to see it any thing comes up and as soon as they do he will do another reading for me.

Anybody got any suggestion would also help.

Thankyou all and a big thanks to Screwloose in advance as he seems to have his finger on the pulse when it comes to the HDI engine.

Edited by Fasteddie155 on 22/11/2008 at 11:15

Well, you've got both of the terrible twins [P1112 and P1138] but his definitions are way off. These are system-specific codes with multiple meanings. Yours should be Bosch EDC.

P1112: EDC15C2 - Diesel high pressure monitoring function. Pressure lower than the minimum pressure.

P1138: EDC15C2 - Fuel pressure. Stop requested but regulator still active.

P0340: EDC15C2 - Crankshaft synchronisation.

P0190: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor; Circuit Malfunction.

P1108: EDC15C2 - Fan high speed circuit. Open circuit or short circuit to earth.

I'd have liked to have seen an injector leak-off test done too. Cracked injectors can cause nearly all those pressure codes.

Without that crucial test; the remaining signs point to the fuel rail pressure sensor's connexions. Check for chafed/broken wires inside the loom and then obtain the modified connector lead and try it.

Also remove the regulator from the pump [2 screws] and check it's tip for debris.

The cam sensor's reluctor plate is bent too - or they didn't set the, critical, sensor gap when they refitted it.

Cheers all injectors were at the same pressure (cant remember but i think it was 149 if this sounds right) and the bar at tick over was 300 bar.
As for the remaining signs point to the fuel rail pressure sensor's connections it could be something from when the header tank was over heating and runnung water all over the engine.

Edited by Fasteddie155 on 22/11/2008 at 20:55

A leak-off test involves tubes and four measuring bottles; the figures in live-data are the smooth-running compensation figures and won't show excess leak-back.

Idle pressure should have been 298 bar.

Definitely check/clean the rail sensor's plug if it's got wet. Check for coolant inside the loom as well.
ok after getting every thing reset it boroke down again today beep beep...

Call out my mate and got;

1138 Pressure regulator valve output stage error

Took out the regulator and full of crap so cleaned with carb cleaner and so far so good but it has only been turned over on the drive, so time will tell.

I will update as soon as i know but thanks for ya help.

Edited by Fasteddie155 on 24/11/2008 at 17:41

The source of that debris will be the fly in the ointment. If it was steel, it's the HP pump breaking up. That means a whole new fuel system.
I think it was just crap from when they did the head gasket and didn't take enough care .
Been out today and touch wood no problems.