any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - freddy1
I will be travelling down to toppers sailboats at wootool rd , ashford in kent , from the frozen north (lancs) overnight sunday , aiming to arrive at 08.00 monday morning,

I am collecting a racing dingy and trailer , to be delivered back in manchester by approx 1500hrs monday afternoon , this is my nice monday earner , on a day off work..

although i have got autoroute on the tommyputer , any ideas

toute looks fairly simple , on the m6 and m1 , as far as milton kenzes and chelmsford ,

any major probs from there onwards ,

i,m sorry , i can,t alter the time senario , i must be in ashford by 0830

cheers
alan

PS for my sins , i,m actually driving a pergeot 106 (stop laughing at the back!!) , because of fuel costs etc , max speed down will be 70 , return 55-60mph

auto route shows this

www.2130tj.co.uk/2/PR.htm ,

does this look the best , do i have to use the dartford tunnell? , how much is it?

cheers
alan

any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - drbe
Surely - East of the Medway they will be Men of Kent?
davidszondy.com/future/Thunderbirds/cap028.jpg

can i use this instead of the dartford tunnel?
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - deepwith
drbe, yes, Ashford is in the land of the Men of Kent but he will pass though the land of the Kentish Maids ;-) en route via Dartford!
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - commerdriver
If you try to use the Dartford tunnel southbound you will probably not be popular. M25 between 7 and 8 on a Monday not good I would be aiming to be on to the M20 southbound before 7 and kill time/ have a coffee or whatever at the services on the way down the M20.

ok , thats making sence , get thru the m25 , onto m20 nice and early , then chill out,

what about the return , leaving ashford at about 9,30?

how much are the toll fees , southbound just a car , northbound , with trailer?

many thanks

alan
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - Mapmaker
As you'll be crawling northbound, no point looking for a faster, but longer, route.

However, you might try the A50 from Derby to Stoke. Much less traffic than the M6.

And get to your destination by 7am, have a snooze, a coffee and a bacon roll, and laugh at the other poor devils stuck on the M25.
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - henry k
IIRC previous general advice is to use M40 / M25 Anti clockwise.

Forum search for M40 found

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=64589

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65655

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61671

Have a look at these for starters

I agree with get there very early and have a good rest prior to the return trip.

Say approx ? 0830 / 0900 departure Ashford into part rush hour Mon morning on M25 must be back by 15:00
280 plus miles to go with cruising 55/60 Peugeot 106 with trailer.
Comments from those familiar with the whole route?

any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - ifithelps
Pick up boat, press on to Dover and throw it into the sea.

Turn right, keeping the coast on your right - the Ribble estuary will come up on your right after about three weeks.

Suppose you could always turn left at Dover and trundle around Scotland. in which case home will appear on the left. :)
Pick up boat press on to Dover and throw it into the sea.
Turn right keeping the coast on your right - the Ribble estuary will come up
on your right after about three weeks.
Suppose you could always turn left at Dover and trundle around Scotland. in which case
home will appear on the left. :)

>>

no sorry noy an option , i have to go to work at 17.00hs on monday ,,alas if i had the spare time?
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - ifithelps
Would be quite an adventure, wouldn't it?

If one were seriously doing the journey by sea, I wonder which way around the coast would be best.

Looks further to me going around Scotland, but I could be wrong.
well either turning left , or turning right it woul be the same difference to get back to my car

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/11/2008 at 21:01

any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - deepwith
Adventure is not quite the word I would describe to doing that journey in a Topper!
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - Dulwich Estate
I don't know how much the new bridge (southbound) and tunnel (northbound) charges are now - they've recently gone up.

I do know that anything other than a normal car is either free or £1 if you can get across before 06.00am.
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - Westpig
can confirm clockwise would be quicker...my Old Man did it earlier in the year when he picked up a barge in the Thames and took it to the Mersey, via Lands End...(don't ask he's 70 and still working)... it took 3 days

amusing extra to the story was he had a Polish crew to work with as a one off and the mate was the only one who's English was acceptable..trouble is the mate got food poisoning really bad, so was out of it most of the time... and the cause of the food poisoning, was the 'pate' he said he'd eaten from the fridge....trouble was it wasn't pate, it was a sausage

apologies to OP for a bit of thread drift
any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - NorfolkDriver
Freddy,

Get yourself down to Norfolk on the Sunday, pick me up and I will sail it back for you.

Havent sailed at sea since August, normally trek my way round the Norfolk Broads.

What type of boat is it and will I need my drysuit?

any londoners , or kentish men? directions plz - NorfolkDriver
Seriously,

I have heard that the tolls have increased recently. A car, after 6am is now 1.50. Not sure how much extra the trailer will be though.