Family car for a horsey type - HorseHusband

Hi

We need a new family car
We are a one car family so it must be a do-it-all

Since we bought the last one we have acquired 2 kids and a horse

The main driver is a keen petrolhead
The rest of the family just want something comfortable to potter around town and go away for the weekend in

The complicating factor is that it now needs to be able to tow as well as traverse a steep muddy rutted rocky farmyard on a regular basis, this is currently destroying our present car

Im at a loss as to what will fit the bill

An Audi Allroad seems obvious but until this month they fail miserably on CO2 emmissions and hence VED

I want a 6-18 month old car to lessen the depreciation shocker
It will be kept for several years so after I buy it Im not massively worried about further losses
On the other hand it must be reliable (bye bye Disco3) because as its our only car we just cant have it laid up for days on end when it breaks down

Budget flexible
30k should buy most things I can think of at 18 months old

The Audi is the safe option if a little dull
A stonking V8 (petrol or diesel) will sort my midlife crisis even if its a 4x4 - I dont care about VED or running costs if its 'cheap' to start with as it will be kept for years

And a knackered Defender and an A6 wagon etc is an option we have considered but we really only want one car :)

Any ideas - Im spoiled for choice in the current market
Anything to a 65k Merc GL or a RR can be had for a stupendous discount at the age Im looking at, the thing with the RR would have to be reliability......
Family car for a horsey type - Screwloose

One limiting factor would be the GTM of the trailer and the max towing weight of the car- what is it?
Family car for a horsey type - davros
30k will also get you a brand new Subaru Outback in any flavour you are you mention (petrol or diesel) with plenty of spare change to replace the awful standard tyres for something with more offroad grip. A far, far better car than an Audi Allroad IMHO. And drives better than any other 4x4 you'd care to mention. You can pick up a 3-litre for penuts at the moment

I've towed a stock trailor with an Outback, but it's certainly not suitable for a double horse box.

OHTO, I know someone who is desperate to get shot of a V-8 AMG M-class thingy, but to be honest, I'd rather walk...... horrid.

Davros
Good point!

GTM 2600 ish

EDIT: what vintage is the AMG?

Edited by HorseHusband on 20/11/2008 at 22:12

Family car for a horsey type - rtj70
If you really do have a budget for upto £30k then I'd not worry about VED cost. With the plummeting costs of big cars you could pick up a nearly new bargain with a powerful diesel engine with 4 wheel drive easily. The AllRoad might be cheaper than you think overall - high emissions and therefore relatively high VED but take a look at used prices.

There was a report earlier that a 2005 Audi A6 3.0 TDi (so 4x4) was up for £8k at auction. Okay you probably need better ground clearance and want newer but you get the idea.

With a double box of that weight, then the only thing that I can think of to fit the bill would be a Range Rover Sport.

Whatever their manufacturer's claim; conventional cars just don't have the weight to cope with that.
Family car for a horsey type - Manatee
If you need to tow 2600kg you are restricted I would think to full size 4x4. Certainly not an Allroad or an A6.

Audi Q7
BMW X5 3.0D
Hyundai Terracan
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Commander
Kia Sorento
Land Rover Discovery/Defender/Range Rover
Mercedes M Class
Mitsubishi L200/Shogun
Nissan Patrol
Porsche Cayenne
Ssangyong Rexton
Toyota Landcruiser
VW Touareg

all have maximum towing weights of 2600 or more.

Edited by Manatee on 20/11/2008 at 22:42

Eeeek

I hadnt actually done the maths on what Im likely to be towing

Many thanks for the heads up - scary!!

It looks like it pretty well has to be a full size 4x4 not an Allroad or an Outback
Which is pretty astounding considering my political beliefs LOL

Ho hum

As it must also be our family car I suppose Im looking at something with a bit of comfort as well
We often travel to see friends/family at the weekend for several hundred miles which Im not sure I could face in a Defender or a Shogun

Much as I loath RR Sports I may have a look
Lets face it a TDV8 on a 57 plate at pretty much half price is worth a shufty
I just find the GL and Q7 far too big, and I cant even begin to dignify a Cayenne.....

How often do you tow and how far? Might an older Defender for the horse box plus another suitable car be better? You might not want to use a full size 4x4 all the time. Just a thought.

Yes two insurance and VED costs per year but maybe an option?
Family car for a horsey type - tawse
Have a look ahe Auction thread and the LR Discoverys mentioned there - should be able to get one 'cheap'.

How can you afford a horse and still worry about VED? :-)
And what about horse emissions causing global warming :-) Might be worse than a small car. Not sure how they compare to cows and sheep.
Family car for a horsey type - cjehuk
Jeep Grand Cherokee from Drive The Deal. Price one up new for ~£22k. Drove one for about four months while in the USA for work this year and it's actually a very nice car, I was surprised just how nice. No it doesn't have an Audi interior or even a Land Rover interior but it's not as bad as people make out.
Family car for a horsey type - Avant
If the Q7 is too big, then the only ones on Manatee's list that might be any good to drive are the X5 and the Touareg - the 3.0 diesel engine is the practical option but.....

Otherwise one of the priorities has to give, and if I were you it would be the 'one car' condition. I agree with RTJ70: go for an old Defender - or better perhaps a Landcruiser, with the rest of your budget on say an A6 Avant quattro - the V6 diesel should do as well as any V8. But as you say you can get a huge discount on a newish V8 as you may be the only person in the country who wants one at the moment. Or in the case of the Touareg, V10.
Family car for a horsey type - Lud
Mustang. Pinto. Bronco. Ferrari.

All Fords near enough...

sorry.
Family car for a horsey type - Paul Robinson
We live in a very horsey area and I can't think of anyone who deals with these needs with one vehicle. They all have a vehicle for the stables and towing, the majority being Shoguns, plus another car for lighter duties.
Family car for a horsey type - Happy Blue!
Finally we meet the one person in the country who actaully needs 4x4! - and he has taste in rejecting the Q7 and Cayenne.

Even has common sense not want to buy two cars where one will do. Alternatively, two cars may work if you get a 4x4 cheap pickup type thing and then a medium sized car? Could get both for less than 30 large.

I received an e-mal yesterday to lease a Nissan Navara for £189pcm + VAT and you can buy a nice Mondeo for £12,000.

Family car for a horsey type - oldnotbold
I'd suggest a sorted, but older Defender SWB for the horse-trailer, and what ever you want for the long-distance jobs.
Family car for a horsey type - ifithelps
Car for a horse husband?

Got to be a Hyundai Pony, or a Deux Chevaux.
Family car for a horsey type - gordonbennet
If reliability is a must Toyo landcruiser, preferably the Amazon, 4.2td or 4.5V8 petrol (many have already been LPG concerted), given your budget you might get the latest model 4.5V8 diesel.

The LC5 3.0td is a little smaller, but still has all the power and towing capability you'll need, but it doesn't have air suspension like the Amazon for that magic carpet ride.

Some of the suggestions above might lead to first name terms at various service desks.

Don't be tempted into a very short wheelbase vehicle for towing heavy loads, too easy for the tail to wag the dog.

If you want a second vehicle for towing and work duties, could i suggest a pick up, relatively cheap van class VED, chosen carefully they are simple and robust, and separate load area you can chuck anything in without filling the passenger space with muck, dust, spiders etc, and the latest twin cab models have proper auto's if thats of use.
Family car for a horsey type - Manatee
Agree with GB about Landcruisers. The Hilux pickup towing limit is onlt 2250 unfortunately. The Navara has been a seriously troublesome beats for many owners. The Mitsubishi L200 and Ford Ranger are both over 2600.
Family car for a horsey type - deepwith
As your budget is good, why not consider buying the car you really want and buying a non-HGV horse box? That way you get your comfortable, greener car for every day driving and long distances while you still have transport for the horse plus masses of storage for its kit.

A box for two horses, with day living accommodation would be £14,000 for new conversion on a mercedes chassis or they are between £2-5K second hand at the moment.

Edited by deepwith on 21/11/2008 at 09:05

Family car for a horsey type - Mapmaker
Get a 5-year-old Isuzu Trooper for the towing. 100,000 horse owners cannot be wrong. But make sure it's lived in the salt-free South East, as they rust, and the usual failure mode is for the trailer to stay standing still, attached to the towball, attached to the towbar, attached to a large chunk of the rear end of the car...

A Defender is a great idea if you prefer spending your time fixing it.

And then buy yourself a nice car. Remember, the interior of your horse car will be full of sharp metal bits of tack and mud. And more mud, and if this season is anything to go by, yet more mud.

Alternatively, get a lighter horse trailer - a one-horse trailer, perhaps? And a Subaru Forrester sits just a little higher than an ordinary car so will cope with the outdoors better.
"Don't be tempted into a very short wheelbase vehicle for towing heavy loads"

He'll be towing about 1500kg - based on a 900kg two horse Ifor Williams trailer and a 600 kg horse (16.2hh) - that's about the weight of a large-ish caravan.
Family car for a horsey type - billy25
Why get a car? - try a second-hand Landau! use Neddy to pull it, comfortable, ideal for "potterin around town" and going to nearby places for weekends away.
the four-leg drive will cope with the muddy rutted farmyard, and the big wheels will give you plenty on ground clearance. Perfect! ;-)

Billy
Family car for a horsey type - Gromit {P}
Towing 2.6 tons with a margin of error for kit in the car doesn't leave you many options.

As suggested by Gordonbennett, if I was putting my own money into a full-size 4x4 I intended to keep, my first stop would be a Landcruiser. Check the VED and MPG though - I've heard it suggested that the 4.2 actually costs less to run than the 3.0.

Another poster here mentioned a Kia Sorrento for which he was offered next to nothing as a trade-in. These (and their Hyundai cousins) could be worth a look.

Much as I like them, I'd be reluctant to buy anything from the Landrover stable (pardon the pun). The Discovery has a long list of known faults (I considered buying one last year but thought the better of it). When I went to test drive one, I couldn't drive the automatic I'd come to see because the dealer couldn't start it. Neither could he move the brand new Range Rover out of his showroom because he couldn't start it either. Even if its something as simple as the battery going flat over a few days, that's hassle you don't want from your one and only car!
Family car for a horsey type - OldSock
He'll be towing about 1500kg - based on a 900kg two horse Ifor Williams trailer
and a 600 kg horse (16.2hh) -

Always better to plan for two horses - either another family addition or sharing travelling with someone else. That's 2100kg all-up!

I'd seriously consider a horsebox, as mentioned earlier - providing you've got somewhere to keep it. Kept in good nick they're virtually depreciation-proof when more than a few years old.

I'd be a bit wary of towing with a pick-up. They're fine when laden, but hopeless for rear grip when empty - particularly on slippery surfaces.

It's ludicrously easy to jack-knife an empty pick-up and trailer.
Family car for a horsey type - mattbod
Don't know about towing weights for his vehicle but I have friends amongst the "Barbour" brigade and they like the new Freelander a lot. I don't know what towing weight of the Legacy Outback with the Boxer Diesel is but I was having a look at one at a dealer in Ashburton Devon and he said he was selling them like no tomorrow to "traditional"customers. I believe this engine is available in the Forrester as well: the old one was always a favorite tow vehicle amongst the green welly brigade. Used to be a lot of them at the point to point meets I used to go to when at Uni in Devon. Clean engine so lowish tax and a new one should be within your range.

You would have to enquire on towing weights though as I have not got them to hand.
Above someone says your horsebox is a double and you only have one horse? If this is correct, getting a horse box for the one horse would allow you to get a car like the Audi A6 Allroad. Am I missing something?
Am I missing something?

You've maybe not tried getting a recalcitrant horse into a single box as it's getting dark, raining, time's pressing....
No I haven't but if the horse was well behaved then they OP would have more options :-) But probably not a viable solution.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/11/2008 at 17:40

Single horseboxes are not that much lighter, and have a narrower wheelbase, so a potentially less stable. They are not that easy to sell, either, and no good for house moves unless it's just the piano.
Family car for a horsey type - OldSock
Just to clarify, a 'horsebox' is a motorised vehicle, whilst a towed thingy is called a 'trailer'.

Part of my education as a 'horse husband' too :-)