02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - singingsister
I've got a 2002 easytronic Corsa (u can drive manual or auto) and I've had the flashing 'F' happen periodically meaning I can't start the car when this happens. First had the fault codes read by a local garage and they couldn't find anything (this was Tuesday) and they said that it was probably a fluke, and Tuesday nite, on attempting to go home from being out - I couldn't start the car again.

Took the car to my local Vauxhall garage who have told me that the ECU is broken and that it will cost £841.98 to fix. Then they said the ECU could have damaged the clutch and that could need replacing at a cost of between £800 - £1100!!! but they won't know about the clutch until they put the new ECU in and road drive the car.

I'm really not sure what to do. To potentially spend just short of £2000 on a car that cost me £4000 May last year seems a bit much. If I cut my losses, would I get much part ex for it to put towards another car?

I'm also concerned that the local garage told me they can't find a problem but the Vauxhall garage told me there are big problems!

Advice please?
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Screwloose

Ask the garage for the exact code numbers that were stored.
I rang Vauxhall and they said P1607 which was a different fault code to the one the other garage found on Tuesday which was P1722.

What do they mean?

P1607 is one of several defective PCM/communications codes; one source gives it as malfunction warning light circuit inop [I'll wait for TB to confirm that] but it's always worth checking that the oil isn't low before actioning any Vauxhall ECU code.

P1722 is apparently "gear 2 - incorrect ratio."
So do you think this means ECU needs replacing or just repairing?

First check the oil level in the engine.

Then get the numbers off the ECU and ring a reconditioner to see if it's repairable - some aren't
Hi, I would do but Vauxhall have got the car! Collecting it tomorrow and taking to a cheaper "local" garage who told me they would send the ECU off and see it it was repairable. They said if worst case it needed replacing, and my car needed the "super duper" ECU, it would cost £800 plus VAT and labour. Repairing would be just over £300.

Sounds much better than what Vauxhall were saying...especially as they were saying the clutch has gone which both I and the local garage know isn't the case!
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Ben 10
I've owned 3 Corsas previously older than yours and found the management warning light come on too regularly. Always came up as an ECU fault or lambda sensor problem. Either the model/mechanics is inherently faulty or Vauxhall have been working a scam to fleece the motorist. Even the Astras I've had have had the management light illuminate to have a diagnosis done. As I said, either the management system is too sensitive or there is more to Vauxhall than meets the eye. Never had any of this with any Ford I've had. I would'nt touch another Vauxhall again because of it. There were too many cars and coincidences for it to be a one off.
Pull the car out, pay for the diagnosis and get rid. Invest in an equivilent Fiesta for your money.

Edited by scribe on 21/11/2008 at 14:02

Yeh I see what your saying, thing is, with the car "not working", I'm not gonna get much for it if I sell it. And if I use the money I would theoretically have to spend to get it fixed to buy a new one...I'm not really going to get much for £2000.

I got the 52 reg corsa coz I was fed up of "old" cars that kept costing me a fortune!
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Ben 10
You could cut your losses and sell as seen and non runner at auction.
What many miscreants have done in this case, which I don't condone, is make the car "disappear" and claim the insurance.Its just what I've heard. I don't expect you, anyone, myself included to use this example to break the law in this way, but it does happen.
Try my suggestion of the auctions unless you want to fork out £2k to have put right.
Well it's £2k if indeed the clutch is knackered. About £800ish worst case senario if it's just the ECU.

I would never make the car "disappear" but I'm not sure about the auction thing. What kind of money would I get if I put the car at auction?
Rite, after a load of problems on Saturday trying to get the car moved, the car is now at the "cheaper" garage...am waiting to see what they say!
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Sarah88
Hi I have had exactly the same problem with my 04 corsa. Took it to a local non-vauxhall garage and they couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to vauxhall and they said it would need a whole new ECU for £700. What was the outcome of yours?
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - notsoeasytronics
Looks like the problem is widespread. I have had the same problem for over a year now. Have had ECU tested, Gearbox Control unit tested and repaired but the problem persists. I really think we should put this situation directly to Vauxhall as most dealers just say it's the ECU but then will not guarentee replacing the part, at huge expense, will be a fix on it's own. I don't think they have much experience of this model so just change modules until they hit a fix at your expense. Also other versions of the same thing fitted to Fiats and Alfa Romeos seem to misbehave similarly I was told. My car records a CANBUS fault but there is no specific code. The company that tested the ECU & gearbox control unit reckoned the fault was caused by a bad earth and I did find a loose and dirty earthing point under the nearside front of the engine bay. Cleaning this and tightening the nut fixed the problem for 10 months so might be worth a try. I also looked at the workshop manual and there are a number of earthing points associated with the gearbox, am about to check them all so if your mechanic does the same you might find a relatively cheap solution.

Have you made any progress in finding the fault?
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Amir
I have this problem with my Opel Corsa 1.2 comfort . It doesn't start and give F blinking .
My Opel dealer has told me ECU unit has been damaged and will cost me 1500 Euros.
Can some body help me, if I can ask them to solve this problem in cheaper way ???
Please help.................
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - topbloke
p1607 translates to sensor sigal out of range , which is infact the clutch acctuator position control, the other do's indeed mean a can bus error, these are a nightmare to fix as so little info, why the hell anybody would by one of these cars is beyond me cos they aint an auto and not a manual, a mute point as i cant give any more guidance than that has been already suggested,Regards TB
Can anybody tell me , how we can send compalints in this regard to Opel or Vauhual?
I realy fed up with my Opel , it even didn't start yesterday and i asked a car carier to carry my Opel to garage........
02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Dynamic Dave
Can anybody tell me ....

www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/pages/global/contactUs/ind...p

www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/pages/global/contactUs/cor...p

02 1.2 ECU needs repairing - Peter.N.
Horrific isn't it. This is why I only run cars made in the mid 90s that I can repair myself.
Thanks for sending addresses .
I also kindly ask other group memebers who have had problem with their vauxhals to send compleint to company , then they can see the ECU problem is serious.

PS. Has anybody et repeired his ECU ?