Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - Rattle
I have done nearly 200 miles in my Fiesta now and used it a lot this week. It does however need some work which i think can't wait till the MOT in May, however this work will probably cost me around £200.

Good bits:-
Engine seems great, no smoke at all, even in this weather just checked with the engine warm and not even a puff out the back.
Dosn't appear to be burning any oil
Not loosing any anti freeze
Gearbox seems fine
Clutch seems ok although its hard tot ell as I am not the smoothest driver yet.
Dosn't overheat
Seems to get around 40mpg which is very close to Fords official figures.
No noise from the suspension strusts
Four good tyres
66k showing on the clock, the alst MOTs state the car has done 2000 miles a year so this is probably genuine.

Bad bits:-
Plugs slightly rusty though I think a bit of WD40/vinigar will sort this out.
Brakes a little noisy (pads)
Arch brake pipes will need doing.
I think from the sound the bushes on the rear roll bar will eventually need doing.
Drivers door does not open from outside
Sometimes makes a buzzing noise coming from a pump.
Had new sills in May.

Now since Fiestas are very easy to sell in this part of town and mine appears to be mechanicaly in good order I am thinking of spending £200 getting the bad bits fixed, but I still think in my head this is a 13 year old Ford.

The car is very easy to drive despite not having PAS. Once I get the above done I feel commited to keeping the car for a good year.

Thanks for any advice. If there was any more serious faults I would have thought I would have noticed by now?

Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - Armitage Shanks {p}
200 miles will give you an indication of major problems but there could be some follow up nasties, oil consumption etc. At 66k miles and 2000 miles a year that makes your car 33 years old - recalculation required ? (Joke!) The problem with the driver's door must be a bit of a pain! Is it a 3 door or a 5 door? How do you get in if it is a 3 door?
Its only a MK4 Fiesta and they are very narrow cars, I even adjust the passanger mirror from the drivers seat if I am stopped at lights etc. It is a pain I climb in from the passanger seat, I have removed the door card ready for my mechanic to fix the lock so that shoul save a bit of labour, he told me how to do it myself but it didn't work. It is a 3 door too, so if the passanger door goes I can only get in through the boot! It is annoying but not a major problem, needs fixing though.

I would imagine like many old cars they do say 10,000 a year when new and the value falls get put ino 'potting around' duties of very low milleage.
Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - FotheringtonThomas
Don't worry about things like rust on the plugs.

Check that the brake pads are OK - oftenplaces like National, ATS, etc. will give them the once-over for nothing (although treat what they say needs doing with a good pinch of salt).

Can't comment on the brake pipes, but a clean and a dollop of Waxoyl will keep them as they are.

Get the door trim off and see what's wrong with the latch, sounds like a nuisance.

Had new sills in May.

Um. If it gets a new MOT in May, treat that as the time to think about getting something new.

If there was any more serious faults I would have thought I would have noticed by now?

Impossible to say. However, if the engine's in one bit, and doesn't use oil, thet's a good plus.
Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - zookeeper
Drivers door does not open from outside

thats an mot failure, and a risk to you surviving a crash as the emergency services wont be able to get to survivors in the vehicle
Thanks :) Yep I am aware the sills can mean long term rust problems, but this car was never a long term prospect anyway, but I do want to keep it for a year. I have had the car on the ramp and it looks quite good underneath, no holes or anything.

The brakes are currently very sharp and no faults other than the noise, so they do need looking at, the only other MOT issue as mentioned is the drivers door.

Thanks for your input, I think I will book it in this afternoon and tell my mechanic the good news (he is probably sick of me!).
Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - Mapmaker
If it passed its MOT 6 months ago, I wouldn't spend a ha'penny on it. It's a knackered old car from the list you gave.

Have you tried liberal quantities of WD40 on the various moving parts of the door lock? If that frees it, then use some grease (Lithium grease from a spray can is my favourite).
Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - Number_Cruncher
>>If it passed its MOT 6 months ago, I wouldn't spend a ha'penny on it.

I agree that there's no need to go to town over-servicing the car, but, the door lock is a safety item, and as stated above could be the difference between life and death. It's the same with the corroded brake pipes.

There's a difference between sensible bangernomics and your advice MM.

And that is the general idea here. I am actually looking forward to having a car with the luxery of a drivers door now :D.

I want to point out that the brakes are currently perfect, very sharp etc but its best to get them fixed before become not perfect which will be very soon if the pads fail.

I've seen some of my mates bangers, and they just leave servicing till MOT time and there are so many safety faults with them it is scary.
Tried WD40, nothing seems to have helped.

It is not as easy as not spending money on it though, as if I sell it I loose money, and will still end up with a tired car (I am limited to small cars due to insurance reasons, and also limiting parking spaces).

The brake pipes are the biggest gamble as they are not too bad, one of them looks worse than the other, but it was an MOT advisory so not sure IF I can ignore it.

It is only the arch pipes that need replacing so it might not be such a big job, the pads are easy, my mechanic reckons he can fix the door without replacing any parts but isn't sure I will give him the list above and see what he thinks.
Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - Number_Cruncher
>>The brake pipes are the biggest gamble

Don't gamble with brake pipes. The consequences of losing your "bet" far outweigh any short term saving you might make.

As is being discussed in another thread. There is specific compunction to act upon MOT advisory notices. But, the safety of your car is always the driver's responsibility. So, if the brake pipes are corroded, and the door lock inoperative, get them fixed quickly.
Is 200 miles enough to get to know the faults? - the swiss tony
Don't gamble with brake pipes. The consequences of losing your "bet" far outweigh any short
term saving you might make.

So if the brake pipes are corroded and the door lock inoperative get them fixed quickly.

I agree...get those and any other safety related items/possible breakdown items sorted as soon as they occur, other than that enjoy driving a banger, knowing your not loosing money hand over fist, as all the people driving new cars are.... £35k new....£25k 6 months old.....£15k 18 months.....etc!
Indeed my friend (see old thread in techical) has been quoted around £400 for a cambelt change more than I paid for the car in the first place.

Anyway I have booked the car in Monday for a full strip down of brakes, replacing the brake pipes, renew brake fluid, fix reverse light and fix the door.

I know its dead money but its cheaper than being fined by the cops or even worse, and I know if I can keep up the maintenance I will be able to sell the Fiesta for £350 easily which should recover the money I paid in garage bills. I have also been very busy atm so I can afford to get things fixed.

I have a banger but I am not skint, I just had to wish to take out a £2k loan at 25% APR which was the altnerative to buying a banger.