Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Rattle
I was very unsure about this as I am split down the middle as I use my car and public transport and I live in the middle of Manchester.

However I have recently seen certain types of shops with vote no posters in them, these shops have often annoyed me with their total disregard for the law including parking on double yellow lines etc .

So as longs as GMPTE does what they promise I will be voting yes. As you all know from my many many posts I do love cars but I believe in a crowded country we do need to think about when we use them.

I would even question how many cars in central Manchester are even essential. The only purpose I have used my car for so far is carrying computers and going to my local PCWORLD which used to be a 25 minute walk.

And remember people this charge is only for peak time, so it won't affect that many people anyway. I had a bit argument with a friend last week on the matter, he was saying it would take him too long to get to the city centre by public transport, which I then pointed out but they will be a tram stop at your door which will take less than ten minutes to go get into town. Compare that to driving into town spending £3 a day parking 1 mile from your office etc.

I run my own business, own and run my own car, yet I am voting for the charge :). I am not bad, I just have common sense.

Edit lets please keep this friendly, I think there might have been discusions on here before I can't remember. I would also like to point out that there are still many issues I want to find the answer to before I do vote yes, and there is a chance I might not vote at all, but I certainly will not be voting No.

Edited by Rattle on 17/11/2008 at 14:42

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - rtj70
What I'd like to know is how it will work for people without the necessary transponder device in the car and an account setup to debit from. If there are no ANPR cameras what's stopping you driving into Manchester - or will there also be ANPR.

If someone is visiting Manchester on a one off trip and does not have one of these devices in the car, I wonder what infrastructure will be in place to pay.

I will be voting no. I live little inside the outer boundary so if in the morning I drove to say Stockport train station and back (about 3 miles round trip) it would cost me to get back home! Likewise if I made an early trip to John Lewis and back at Cheadle.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Lud
Three quid a day at the full rate?

Luxury!
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - midlifecrisis
£3 now. Next year how much?? And the year after??

And then it gets introduced into every other town. It's the thin end of the wedge. We get taxed quite enough thank you very much. And our wonderful Government is now threatening the people of Manchester that if they don't vote yes, then they will not get any cash to upgrade public transport. Vote for us or else...democracy at its best!!
This I don't like about it. The package is wondeful but also over the top in some areas. I would much prefer a scaled down version with an reducted of the area covered.
These things need sorting. Personaly I would prefer a much simpler system on a much smaller scale where that you have to pay to enter a city centre zone which may perhaps start at Salford University to West, Hulme in the South, Beswick to the East and Cheetham Hill to the north.

Residents of these zones will be extempt. Atm say if you live in Didsbury at rush hour it can take a good hour to get into town, that is only 4 miles away and there is clearly a huge problem there.

I have also noticed a lot of the cars with the vote no stickers on happily plod along outside the bus lanes beeping at me for driving in it. Yet they clearly state they are not in use at that time.

I am in the first to admit there are flaws in the proposals and that is why I am not voting yes for certain only swaying towards it, but something does need to be done about the city centre traffic and the trunks roads into it.

Stagecoach have done a very very good job of getting people out of their cars, the 86 rotue near me for example is far more frequent than it used to be and most the buses are brand new, for £10 a week that is a lot cheaper than driving into town each day.

I am also favour of more park and ride schemes.
I just cannot see how a system that relies on having a box in the car will work. Because not everyone will have one for fairly obvious reasons. And who pays for the box in the car?
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - midlifecrisis
And what about the people who live outside Manchester. What about someone who lives in Delph or Diggle and has to work in Manchester. How long would it take them to travel on public transport.

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Alanovich
Seems to me the simple answer may be "Don't go to Manchester", which could well be the approach of private individuals (and the contents of their wallets), and also private enterprise when considering location.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - movilogo
I never get the point with Congestion Charge thing (other than raising some income for treasury).

If traffic is too much, people will become frustrated standing at traffic and they will look for alternate solutions. They may start using public transport which will reduce congestion.
So, after certain level of congestion, people themselves will start other options.

What's the point of forcing someone to pay if people don't mind spending time on traffic queue?
At the moment lots of people visit the Trafford Centre - with a congestion charge this will cost because it's inside the outer boundary. People come from quite far to get to it too. So during the weak a drop in trade. An although I live within the M60, if I went to the Trafford Centre I'd go on the M60 so would have to pay no doubt!

This has not been thought out.
But the charge is only peak times, so you would just avoid the TC at those times, and for many people you would drive in against the peak flow so even at peak times you might not have to pay.

As for Delph, Diggle and them funny Oldham towns the idea would be park and ride, maybe drive some where quite close say a massive car park in Oldham then whizz on a tram straight to the city centre.

I went to the TC the other day by bus and it took 45 minutes (I only live 3 miles away from it!) because of the huge amount of cars trying to get into it.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Jonathan {p}
It won't be possible to avoid going at peak times when they expand the times to be all day, which they will do before too long. Especially if the congestion reduces enough that it isn't generating the revenue they require.

This will affect my family, but we can't vote on it because we don't live in Greater Manchester. There is no way you can get from Cheshire to Stretford on public transport in less than an hour and a half, without changing at least twice, and having to pay 2 different operators. Putting more carriages on the trains won't help, because on main crewe-mcr line there isn't the capacity. I've travelled on this for the last 10 years, and by the time the train gets to stockport its rammed, heaton chapel and levenshulme is squashing room only.

I think that a city centre zone would probably be a good thing and will mean people won't drive into the centre, but having it around the M60 is madness.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - billy25
Really imo, it's totally unfair on residents within the boundary's, these folk are captive government milk-cows, virtually every time they use thier cars they are going to be charged. I think residents who are "trapped" by these schemes by virtue of where they habitate should have a reduction of thier v.e.d to offset the forced charges.

Billy
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - b308
The problem I have with these schemes is that they look good on paper and then when they get the go-ahead they find all sorts of "issues" which means that the final scheme is very different to what you originally voted for, and usually detrimental to the driver, Rattle... I'd think very carefully before you vote Yes!

Thing is, if they made the public transport better now they wouldn't need to bring it in as people would use it as their natural choice... carrot or stick? And I think that CC is the stick but they should use improvements to PT as the carrot first before considering CC!

Edited by b308 on 17/11/2008 at 16:19

Some good replies. I used to do the Wilsmlow to Chorlton trip which is pretty much the same as Stretford. I found the train service to be very very good, even at 6pm when I left the trains were not that busy, though it does get congested between Stockport and Picciddily so I used to get off at Stockport and then get the 23 bus.

It was one of the easier public transport trips I had to make a lot.

What do you think will happen if everybody votes No? I can't see that being the end of it.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Happy Blue!
I am voting No, for several reasons.

1. I live on a main arterial route likely to be one of the routes on which there is charging. Therefore as soon as I leave my house, I get charged. I cannot do my job withut my car (I am a Chartered Valuation Surveyor) and using a bike or public transport would mean I get only 50% of my inspections does each day at best and probably less.

2. My office is within the inner cordon (near Salford University) and yet I am not in the city centre. The inner cordon should be Trinity Way, Mancunian Way, Gt Ancoats Street.

3. Sir Howard Bernstein who really wants this, cannot drive. Several years ago he lived near me, whilst shacked up with his now wife but then girlfriend, during his divorce (I know his family pretty well - it wasn't pretty). He would have a black cab waiting for him every morning to take him into the Town Hall. Heaven forbid he should use public transport - at least Red Ken did. I have no respect for him and can have no respect for him until he either uses public transport or starts driving.

4. The overall result will be a dead city centre, businesses with no staff and Manchester looking like Detroit. A centre hole with a bagel of active economy around it. I would be buying up offices on the M60 ring road if I were you. Unlike London, Manchester does not have a real 'City' but a central business district in which many of the occupiers could relocate. I have advised many clients who were renting in the heart of the city but are now or will be looking to have owner occupied office buildings on the fringe or even some distance away. It will only get worse.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Sandgrown
I don't suppose it will influence the final decision but if you don't live in Greater Manchester you can still complete the survey on www.bbc.co.uk/northwesttonight.

I live in Lancashire and go into Manchester about once a month, usually at weekends but sometimes during the week. I indicated on the survey that I would be going elsewhere if the charge is introduced.
Why the chargre isn't even applicable at weekends. It won't affect you.
Not initially but for how long will that be the case?
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Nsar
Lud the charge would be £6 if it was introduced.

To the OP, great that you won't be affected as you live in the city centre, but if you are like most people who work inside the charging zone but not the city centre you will have a choice - pay the charge or face an exhausting journey via the city on public transport as virtually all the rather scant improvements promised are aimed at getting people into Manchester city centre, not moving them efficiently across the whole of Gtr Manchester.

The claim is that fewer than 1 in 10 journeys will incur a charge but that traffic in the zone will drop by 25%.

Yes, that's what I thought as well.........
I don;t live in the city centre, I am a good 30 minute bus ride/55 minute walk away.

NSAR I do agree with what you are saying, I just disagree with a lot of no vote people as they don't seem to know the first thing about it, many of them didn't even know the charge is peak time only and in peak flow. It is very different ot the London one.

There are issues with it though I admit, but there are also more issues with doing nothing.
Sorry, I read your first posting as meaning city centre.

It's very different to London because it's 10 times the size of the original London zone and London has a real density of public transport options which Manchester does not and will not even if this daft scheme is voted through.

The lion's share of the transport improvements go to building about 12 miles of extra tram, much of which will run trams to replace trains!

What's on offer is badly thought out and does not address the needs of hundreds of thousands of people who will be given Hobson's choice of pay up or face an impractical journey to work.

What's really disgraceful is that none of the investment would go to introducing measures that are proven to improve traffic flows such as no-stop zones (red routes) and addressing poor junction design which creates pinch points.

All of this is in the Eddington Report, but seemingly disregarded by the architects of this scheme.

Edited by Nsar on 17/11/2008 at 21:55

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - David Horn
I disagree. Manchester city centre is easily navigable at busy times (and I mean busy - it was bearable at 5pm on December 23rd last year coming out of the Printworks car park). What's the point in using a congestion charge? It'll just stop me and a considerable majority of people from using the city centre, which is actually a very nice place.
The trams would be a lot more frequent than the trains though. I would never have used Stretford railway station to go Bury in the old days, now I often use the tram to go there if I am meeting up with my Rawtanstall mates.

I was on Upperbrook St this evening and the traffic was just laugh, just bumper to bumper stationary cars and I bet it would be like that all the way down Kingsway heading to Wilsmlow. I wonder how many of them people realise there was a 20 minute train they could have caught?
I am well aware of the times that it will operate, initially. But I am suspicious that it is the thin end of the wedge and that it will be extended to other times, especially if the income is below budget because of people "evading" the charge by travelling at other times.

Also, back in 1997 NuLab promised a big expansion of tramway building. The only new system in England approved by them is the one in Nottingham and now they have made the congestion charge a condition of extending Manchester Metrolink; we all know about the current financial situation but there was a marked reluctance previously to invest in improved public transport, which could have acheived modal shift with carrots rather than sticks.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Happy Blue!
I should of course add that the money available is up to £3 Billion". Up to can mean just £1.

Have you seen the adverts for the Yes campaign. Every possible social class is pictured except people who actually work for a living and may just possibly work somewhere within the ridiculously large charging zone.

People will be charged to go to work five miles from the city centre. Bonkers.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Pugugly
Looking to merge the two threads going on on this topic - Rattle any views ?
I was thinking the same thing as this thread isn't a passionate yes, and the other one is not a passionate no (well more passionate than this one) anyway go ahead and merge :).
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Lud
the charge would be £6 if it was introduced.

so 60p for residents if the London pattern was followed...

This system is unfair on small traders inside the zone who live outside it, and need their vehicles to shift goods. They should have a reduced rate like residents.

People just driving to work have to take it though.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Ian (Cape Town)
Some interesting stuff here... and I'll agree with those who say that once the system is in place - the nose of the camel is inside the tent, as it were - then they can bend the rules on times, costs etc to suit themselves.
I can't see a council ignoring the cash-cow of out-of-town visitors at weekends - thousands of folk from Surrey coming to Old Trafford, for example - for long.

Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Nsar
If you live in Greater Manchester use your vote. If you know someone that has a vote, please get them to oppose the plans for a C-charge in the forthcoming referendum

If Manchester says yes, expect a C-charge in your neighbourhood soon.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/3471058/Governme...l

www.stopthecharge.co.uk

Sorry mods if I've over-stepped the mark here.
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Rattle
So are these anti mob going to invest in public transport?
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Nsar
Why are they a mob?
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - malden blue
Yet another stealth tax

And be warned manchester we in London were promised no increase on the £5 a day charge for years, what happened? a 60% rise! to £8 it'll be £20 a day before you know it
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Pugugly
Looking to merge the two threads going on on this topic - Nsar any views ?

now merged

Edited by Pugugly on 17/11/2008 at 23:02

Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - b308
going to invest in public transport?

And that is the key to the whole CC thing... if they invested in an intergrated transport system which was frequent and reliable they would not need CC... and thats why I'd vote No if I had a vote... get PT sorted and then see if there's still a need for CC!

(BTW I suspect that "mob" was just used as a figure of speech!)
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Andy P
Apparently, Mr Hoon has told Manchester that if they vote no, they won't get £1.5 billion pounds to improve public transport.

Talk about holding the public to ransom.
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Mapmaker
I live in London, but was born and brought up in Manchester (Altrincham).

1. Rattle>>So as longs as GMPTE does what they promise. Yeah, right.

2. The London CC makes no profit. It does employ many people who are all grateful to the Government for their jobs and will consequently vote Labour. It has also made no difference to congestion.

3. And Altrincham wants its own CC too. Soon it will cost you hundreds of pounds in CCs to drive around Britain.

4. Shops in London have really suffered as people don't drive in. Many have closed.

5. Why bother going to a town with a CC when you can shop out-of-town instead. Dead City. And all their own fault.
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - nick
So turkeys do vote for Christmas! I must write to that nice Mr. Darling and ask him to tax me a bit more, I'm sure he'll spend the money wisely.
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - billy25
>>Soon it will cost you hundreds of pounds in CCs to drive around Britain.<<
Oooh! thats a good point! if this spreads to most towns/cities, you could be charged several times a day! soon it will be pointless having a car and going anywhere as wages wont keep pace! - the endeth of the personal car cometh!

Billy

Edited by billy25 on 18/11/2008 at 15:47

Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Altea Ego
2. The London CC makes no profit. It does employ many people who are all grateful to the Government for their jobs and will consequently vote Labour. It has also made no difference to congestion.

really?

Johnson noted that the report showed an increase in congestion despite an overall 16 percent reduction in the number of vehicles entering the city. The reduction in volume was offset by reductions in capacity caused by intentional and unintentional effects of policy decisions. Unintended side effects included construction projects that caused significant delays and backups. Intentional policies included "pedestrian, cyclist and bus priority measures" that Johnson's predecessor, Ken Livingstone, introduced as a means of discouraging motorists. Livingstone's goal was to make it more difficult and expensive to drive in London. In addition to taking lane space away from drivers to create bus only lanes, for example,

The cost to operate the complicated motorist tracking and charging system was 131 million last year. Drivers paid 195 million in congestion charges, leaving a profit of 64 million. On top of this amount, however, motorists paid 73 million in penalty tickets leaving the system with a net profit of 137 million on total revenues of 268 million.

Nearly all of this profit was spent on buses, speed cameras and environmental projects. Only 13 million was spent strengthening bridges or resurfacing roads.

4. Shops in London have really suffered as people don't drive in. Many have closed.

nothing to do with the CC, over zealous parking enforcement did that. Anyway very few people drove into the CC zone to shop.

Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Lud

Johnson noted that the report showed an increase in congestion despite an overall 16 percent reduction in the number of vehicles entering the city.

How interesting AE. The mayor is no slouch. I have said here several times that the CC has reduced traffic volumes (and made parking significantly easier, although still eye-wateringly expensive in many areas) but not congestion, as the road network has been systematically sabotaged by the Livingstone gang both before and, nastily and evilly, after the CC was introduced.

But is young Boris Johnson going to have all these extra kerbs, walls, unused bicycle lanes and so on demolished to restore traffic flow? I am not holding my breath.
Government Bullying Manchester into Road Tolls - Big Bad Dave
"nothing to do with the CC, over zealous parking enforcement did that. Anyway very few people drove into the CC zone to shop."

Remember in Westminster when you could park on a yellow line from 1.30pm on a Saturday? I used to really admire them for that. The day that ended was the last day I shopped in W1. Went to Brent Cross afterwards.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - niceguyeddy
Who do Manchester think they are !!

Its not that good a place to pay for the pleasure of visiting.

I will turn left on the M6 and head towards Liverpool / Chester with my money instead.

Sorry if you are from Manchester no offence meant but it really is not a nice enough place to have to pay for the pleasure of visiting.
Just been announced that the scheme to offer patients a discount on attending medical appointments would have to be administered by the NHS. Nuts
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - leef
Who do Manchester think they are !!

SQ

Well I have taken offence. "Who do Manchester think they are?" "It's not a nice enough place" Who do you think you are!? Where are you from thats so special?. I've lived in Manchester my whole life, been to most places in the UK as part of my job, also travelled most of world and trust me Manchester ain't that bad of place and thats the bottom line!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2008 at 13:48

" Who do you think you are!? Where are you from thats so special?

I dont think Im anybody nor do I come from anywhere special BUT one thing is for sure I know I wont be paying to visit Manchester.

So what you will no doubt say no loss to Manchester however multiply my lack of a visit which equates to about £500 a year spent in shops by a few thousand people then you will see its a big loss.

Im happy for you that you think your home town is special just many people wont when it comes to paying a tax to visit.
Remember the charge will not apply at the weekends or outside rush hour.

I'm still against it though.
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - leef
I dont think Im anybody nor do I come from anywhere special BUT one thing
is for sure I know I wont be paying to visit Manchester.

As pointed out, the charge would ONLY be weekdays at PEAK times. So unless you do your shopping at 8am it's not a problem. Entering Manchester at eveing Peak time won't be charged for either, it's leaving Manchester at evening peak you get nailed.
So what you will no doubt say no loss to Manchester however multiply my lack
of a visit which equates to about £500 a year spent in shops by a
few thousand people then you will see its a big loss.

See above!!!
Im happy for you that you think your home town is special just many people
wont when it comes to paying a tax to visit.

Never once in my post does it mention that I think Manchester is "special"??? I said I've been to a lot worse places in this country and around the world than Manchester. For Driving, Shopping and anything else for that matter. We've pretty much got it all, it's not perfect but I won't stand by and listen to crap. Enjoy you're visit to Liverpool etc.

PS. Just for the record, I'll be voting NO to the charge.
>>Never once in my post does it mention that I think Manchester is "special"???

Im glad you think that Manchester is not anything special.

>>As pointed out, the charge would ONLY be weekdays at PEAK times. So unless you do your shopping at 8am it's not a problem. Entering Manchester at eveing Peak time won't be charged for either, it's leaving Manchester at evening peak you get nailed

I wont be dictated to as when I can and cant enter / leave by a congestion charge.... Why should I when there are far better places to visit which dont have a congestion charge.

Driving ... shopping mmm yes most big towns have those facilities these days.

>>Enjoy you're visit to Liverpool ........ Thanks I will and the scousers will get the benefit of my business.

BTW just because my opinion is different to yours does not mean its crap.

As an outsider expected to pay to visit I would think mine is very relevant
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Mr X
Whats the betting that two years after the charge is introduced, the peak hours will run from 6am to 1pm and 2pm to 9pm. After all, thats the sort of thing that Virgin Rail did. They have been extending their peak hours and hence the higher fares, for the last 3 years.
As far as I know the Gov set the "peak times" on the rail network through the DfT, not Virgin.
Just out of interest, Rattle, are you still going to vote Yes?
There are some good posts, some not so good and some that I have avoided replying to as I don't want to cause WW3.

I am still split 50/50. This week I have used public transport and cars 50/50 having a car has saved me a lot of hassle, but getting the bus into town has also saved me so much hassle - no need to worry about parking meters etc.

The concern that what they promise might not be delivered is a very valid one, I support it is as it is, but I am worried the charges might go up to none peak times and a wider area and that will affect us all.

Both sides are manuplating the figures to support their argument and I am trying to make up my mind up and I can't. I am very pro public transport and getting people to their destination very quickly is a passion of mine. I love the instance the metro system in Paris, it is the best system I have ever used, far better than London's underground.

What I want to see in Manchester is something similar where you buy say a £3 ticket that it entitles you to use any train, any bus, any tram in Greater Manchester for that day. It would be so much more simple that this hugely complicated system we currently have.

What I actually support is neither solutions but a scaled down charge, for city centre zone only and a lot more park and ride or even park parks outside the city centre. This will allow those getting out not to be stuck in the usual city centre rush hour but will also mean those living further out can still get back easily without having to pay a charge.

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - AlastairW
I live and work outside the zone, but my favoured supermarket is inside. I will however still be voting yes, as I can see the improvements that will be made to my local transport and parking (park and ride).
At present I drive or walk to work, but the improvements to parking for the scheme will mean the train will become viable for me.
Rattle I'm afraid to say that whilst what you suggest has merit the scheme on the table would penalise the many who work inside the proposed C-Charge zone to benefit the few who work in the city centre. There are about 450,000 jobs inside the M60 and less than a third are in the city centre, but all of the promised transport improvements are aimed at shifting commuters into the centre.

If you work anywhere outside the centre your journey on public transport will involve you in a complex and tiring journey via the centre for a transfer back out again. Few will endure this and so traffic would (after a short drop) !return to current levels - which, according to Greater Manchester Transport Unit are less than 10 years ago.

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Stuartli
My visits to Manchester are very few and far between, so I have very little concerns over the subject.

However, I would take exception as someone who lives in a so called democracy, to New Labour declaring that if the congestion charge vote is a No, then it will not put any money towards improving public transport in the city.

That strikes me very much as Heads we win, tails you lose. No point really in having a vote.

I suspect if the public's answer is yes (and I have my doubts), then many other cities in the UK will receive similar blackmail overtures...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 21/11/2008 at 00:08

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - billy25
>>then many other cities in the UK will receive similar blackmail overtures...:-)<<

Well two can play at that game! if the vote is "no", and they carry out the threat not to upgrade other transport means, then the "no" voters should also vote "no" to Labour at the general election/local elections.
Obviously Labour are forgetting that Dictatorship isn't the same as Democracy.

Billy
Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Dipstick
Same deal was on the table for Cambridge. We voted no anyway.

Manchester congestion charge - Why I am voting yes - Bagpuss
I've noticed here a number of times the point that improving public transport would be a better and fairer way of reducing congestion than a congestion charge.

I live in a city (Munich) where there is no congestion charge and the public transport could hardly be better. You can whizz into, around and out of the city at all times of day and night in a varied mixture of suburban and underground trains as well as trams and buses. All frequent, punctual, clean and reasonably priced. There are free or low cost Park and Ride stops at all the main transport arteries into the city. I never use the car to drive into the city. Ever.

Guess what the traffic congestion is like here? That's right, it's terrible. I know lots of people, mainly company car owners, who would rather spend hours crawling from traffic light to traffic light to overcrowded multi-storey carpark in their climate controlled metal box, than run the risk of a few minutes discomfort whilst walking from the train station to their office.

Based on this you clearly need some sort of stick to eliminate congestion as well as the carrot of public transport. Whether the congestion charge is the right sort of stick is another question...
If they improve transport like they say before they introduce the charge then it should reduce congestion shouldn't it. Lots more would use public transport if it was improved etc. Therefore why a congestion charge - there shouldn't be any congestion then should there???

Therefore this is another tax in my opinion.
The congestion charge will be there to basically pay of that £3billion loan .
If similar to London, the charge won't cover the cost of running the scheme... who pays for all those transponder type boxes in the car?
Who pays for the transponder? I don't think you need to phone a friend for that answer...!
I'll not want to pay for one for sure - two actually. Or does the owner of my car pay (not me).

And how will it work for people coming to Manchester to visit for a one off trip (business or pleasure)? And how does the cost for business trips get billed differently so we can charge back on expenses. None of this has been explained has it.
Congestion charge vote - outrageous propaganda - bananastand
ok folks, briefly, there is a vote going on to introduce a congestion charge in Manchester. The congestion is not THAT bad. A few horrific bottlenecks due to idiotic design of the M60. Junction 13 Worsley is the most dangerous junction ever and is a very scary way to join/leave that motorway.

Without going into the rights, wrongs, the propaganda for a "yes" is EVERYWHERE. It will benefit my part of the world very little - we already have empty buses running up empty bus lanes - but to cut to the chase... we got a big envelope full of how great the new traffic system will be when we have the new charge... postal ballots with an UNBELIEVABLY complex way to send them back - I found it hard and I'm a genius (LOL) and then the propaganda was even on the ballot paper itself!

When I was about to put my cross I was STILL looking at an ad on the actual ballot saying, vote yes for a greener and smoother running Manchester... or some such drivel as I have now posted my NO vote and can't remember what it said exactly.

Believe me round here we live with a bombardment of ads saying vote yes. The campaign must have cost a mint.

Moved into the existing thread where there was already a lively debate.

Edited by Pugugly on 08/12/2008 at 22:10

I looked for a thread but missed it. Cheers - banana

Its a Mod thing

Edited by Pugugly on 08/12/2008 at 22:11

Congestion charge vote - outrageous propaganda - Mr X
It's the usual same old same old. By paying more money to some faceless control freaks, everything will be better and the planet will be saved. Of course there is congestion during the morning and evening peak but so often that is the result of accidents caused by bad driving. So if all those bad drivers are still driving and paying, will they no longer have accidents and thus reduce congestion ?
nice one Mr X I see you have spoken your mind forcefully before! For once I saw a letter in the local rag that made sense - along the lines of, - up to now we have free traffic jams. Afterwards, we'll have to pay to be in them.

Most people I know would NEVER be able to get public transport to work, unless they sat and waited for about five buses.

And anyway can someone enforce the law that says bus drivers girlfriends are not allowed to stand next to them throughout a journey.
Congestion charge vote - outrageous propaganda - daveyK_UK
Vote no.
no to more cctv cameras and further invasion of privacy.