2002 2.0 hdi running problems - nrocks
Hi all,
my 2001 (110) hdi xsara was running fine until i went to start it one morning and it wouldnt start, (it would turn over , maybe catch for a second and stop).
Got it recovered to local independant garage where they started with a process of elimination, ie changing the fuel filter & the low pressure pump in the tank, (got it started and idling but still would cut out when driven).Engine management light came on.
Put it on diagnostic and said low fuel pressure and proceeded to replace high pressure pump.
Car ran as normal(any gear , any speed), for 40 miles ...and now cuts out again when coming up to a junction or when pedal lifted (going down a hill).
Now engine management light back on and car will start but not rev over 2200 rpm.
Any help much appreciated as so far repair bill at £939.....
Many thanks Neil Rocks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/11/2008 at 10:25

2002 2.0 hdi running problems - RichardW
Suggest you find someone that's got a decent diagnostic computer, and knows how to use it.... Poke and hope diagnostics on these just costs money.

What have you been running it on?
Thanks for reply.
just normal white diesel, no set filling station but think last fill was BP.
2002 2.0 hdi running problems - richbev
what would happen if these cars were run on red. i was led to believe the two types are the same just with a die added
2002 2.0 hdi running problems - Screwloose
Neil

A process of elimination has a lot of components to eliminate on a common-rail.

What was the fault-code that they got and can their equipment read all the codes on one of these.

Why hasn't an injector leak-off test been carried out?
thanks for reply.
Injector leak off has been carried out, all goog on that front.
small filter tip on side of bosch high pressure pump had some minute dirt particles on in , washed and blown out ,(only 60 miles on car since pump replaced),re-fitted and car is driving well but engine management light is still on.
I will try to find out what fault codes were thrown up.
p.s. When car was cutting out , after sitting for two minutes, the new pump in the tank would start to prime (whirr/buzz), any reason as to why this didnt happen straight after car cut out.
Thanks for your time, Neil
2002 2.0 hdi running problems - Screwloose

"Cutting out when coming to rest" is usually low rail pressure, as the secondary pump slows with revs. Low primary pressure would show more under heavy load.

The two main causes of low rail pressure are a leaking/cracked injector, or a worn HP pump. If the first pump had failed and spread hardened-steel frag throughout the fuel system, then that frag will kill a new pump in short order. [That's why a full system change is done.] I don't like the sound of debris in the regulator's tip!

The primary pump will stop about two seconds after the crank sensor's signal is lost. It may well maintain line pressure by pulsing on an ECU-timed basis.

I need all those codes - and I've got a feeling that P1112/1138 will be among them...
i will try to get the codes for you.

earlier the engine was in "limp mode" and wouldnt rev past 2500rpm....after cleaning the filter tip the car drives like normal...no stalling/cutting out...normal revs....only 10 miles done....but left car at garage to let them drive it and put some miles on it to see if small filter clogs again....and to sort out engine management light.
Thanks again for your help & knowledge.