02 1.6 Dipstick reading - Rob E
Hi,

My cousin owns a 2002 52 Focus 1.6, with about 60K on the clock. During a recent visit, she told me that the oil light had occasionally started coming on, often after the brake was applied (flashing on, then off... not staying on).

A few enquiries revealed no recent service (ie over 12 months) or oil check (I had to show her the hidden release behind the Ford badge!). I know the importance of annual oil changes and fortnightly checks, and that the oil light isn't a low oil warning light etc, so I don't intend this post to generate polite "told you so"-esque responses.

A few dipstick checks (cold engine) revealed no reading on the dipstick (and still no reading after a short journey). Compared with my Daihatsu, the upper and lower levels on the dipstick are very close. I can only assume that the oil level was very low, but there was clearly oil in it!

A quick trip to Halfords later, and I put in 2 litres (sump capacity circa 6). After an hour, there was still no reading on the dipstick... and no the dipstick has not snapped.

Again, my assumption is that there is simply not enough oil in there to register on the dipstick, and that, because of the dipstick markings being so close, the sump needs to be at least half full before it shows on the dipstick.

Is my assumption correct? I was wary about over-filling it, especially if the dipstick was in fact playing silly beggars, having done this to a friend's Ka in the past with rather smelly and smoky consequences.

Of course I explained about the urgent need for a service and oil change... but (as with many people) they only lift the bonnet when things go wrong.

Any advice appreciated. The car is otherwise running fine.
02 1.6 Dipstick reading - MikeTorque
Best to start from scratch and give it a complete oil and filter change ASAP rather than mess around putting new oil into old stuff, then you'll be best placed to monitor oil levels via dipstick. A garage can give it an oil and filter change while you wait.

Edited by MikeTorque on 16/11/2008 at 23:37

02 1.6 Dipstick reading - Screwloose

It holds 4.25 litres; so, if the light was flashing, it was probably down to it's last litre.

Adding another 2, still makes it at least a litre short; so add some more, half-a-litre at a time, until it shows on the stick.

The engine damage will already have been done; so maybe think of P/X-ing it.

Frankly; she should be walking anyway. If she doesn't even check the oil, what are the tyres, wipers and the inside of the windscreen like.