2000 2.0 Hdi With no power/turbo? - ram_machine
Yesterday I bought an X-reg 306 Hdi, 5dr Meridian, which has done 80k. Limited Service history but lots of old mots, the odd receipt etc. It only has one previous owner. It is seriously underpowered from 1500rpm upwards. The engine sounds sweet as a nut, and im very confident the mileage is genuine. It doesn't smoke at all, not even cold, under load or when accelerating. I cant hear the turbo, where as you clearly can on the other 306 HDi's I've owned. And also I've noticed that distinctive 'ticking' and air gushing (sorry crap description!) sound you normally get when you put your foot down in 5th gear is missing altogether? At a guess I'd say the Turbo is not working at all. Could this be an airflow sensor problem, opening the wastegate all the time?

Performance wise, its like driving a naturally aspirated diesel really? The engine is really clean, no sign of oil anywhere I can see. No lights on the dash, (bar the ABS light which came on on the way home but is a red herring i assume!). When its not under load the engine revs quite normally, and easily revs upto 3500-4000 rpm. When under load though, it takes forever to get upto 3000rpm. You can rev it really hard in 2nd, but when you change upto 3rd it takes ages to accelerate up from 1900- 2600.

Im not a complete mug when it comes to mechanicing, and iv always serviced my 306's myself, but Im not sure where to start looking with this problem! It is driveable, and i needed a car urgently, so I knocked him down from £2100 and got it for £1700 hoping this would give me enough room to get it fixed without making it a really expensive car!

I would be really grateful for any help you can give me guys.

Regards,
Sam

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2008 at 19:32

2000 2.0 306 2.0 Hdi With no power/turbo? - Screwloose
Sam

Does the engine management "K-Light" come on and go out when it starts?
2000 2.0 306 2.0 Hdi With no power/turbo? - ram_machine
Hi Screwloose. Thanks for your reply!

By the K-Light, do you mean a lamp with an engine symbol and 'shaped' lines in the middle of it? Because no, that lamp is definately not coming on, although i do rememeber seeing it now you say in the last 306 HDi I had.

The only engine light that comes on when you put ignition on is just an ordinary engine symbol in the top left corner of the orange lamp cluster. That goes out when you start the engine..

Thanks, hope this helps . . .

If the K-light is present, but not working, then it's likely that someone has taken the bulb out to mask the fact that it's permanently on - and the car is in limp-home.

You need to get the fault-codes read before doing anything else.
Just looking in the handbook,seems like the engine light i talked about probably is the 'k light' you're talking about. It doesnt actually have the k shaped symbol you're mentioning but i think its just slightly different on different models.

I will try to get codes read asap. What are your first thoughts though?

Can an electrical fault stop the turbo working properly?

I dont think its in limp mode because it revs upto 4500 rpm no problem?

Sam
Sam

No silly electronic VNT turbo control on an RHY thankfully, they're just a normal Garrett turbo.

The reason that I was asking about the light was that an HDi is very closely monitored by a Bosch self-diagnosis system that actually works.

The system constantly produces real-time "target" values for various parameters - like airflow - and will quickly flag any significant deviation from those expected values. The only exception on an RHY is boost level - there's no MAP sensor on that engine code.

A blocked "diesel cat" is another possibility to consider; has it had lots of short runs?

Hi Screwloose.

I think i just about follow what you're saying on the electrical front!

So you're saying its looking more likely a mechanical fault than an electrical one yes? Is their an air flow sensor which could be faulty or dirty thats opening the wastegate all the time?

As I have only just bought the car its hard to say what journeys its been doing, but its quite possible. Could i try temporarily unbolting the exhaust and see if the turbo kicks in?

A bit radical i know, but i might learn something. .

Where should i start looking from here in your opinion?

Thanks for your help!

Sam
Sam

The MAF sensor has no effect on the wastegate on an RHY. That has a delightfully simple bit of rubber tube that feeds the boost pressure to an actuator.

As the boost builds, it opens the wastegate to vent exhaust past the turbine and thus slow the turbo and drop the boost - elegant, simple, reliable.

This could be a MAF fault; but see above. I'd expect a "low-flow" code and the light on.

You start by looking at the fault-codes. Looking at the awesome amount of live-data available is even better.
Thanks very much for your help screwloose.

I will take it to someone who has some code reading software asap, and see what they come up with, if anything.

I will post more on here when I have more information.

Would you mind me having your email address so i can contact you if i get some error codes etc? Dont worry if not, you have already helped alot. My email address is:

ram_machine 'at' hotmail.com

In the meantime should i check for a blocked Cat?

Sam

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2008 at 21:11

Sam

Post any further details on here - then it's in the archive for posterity.

You could try loosening the flange joint - not a risk-free procedure though.

P.S. You must really like spam....

{His email address has now been doctored}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2008 at 21:12

2000 2.0 306 HDi No power, turbo problem? - ram_machine
I bought an X-reg 306 Hdi, 5dr Meridian, which has done 80k. Limited Service history but lots of old mots, the odd receipt etc. It only has one previous owner. It is seriously underpowered from 1500rpm upwards. The engine sounds sweet as a nut, and im very confident the mileage is genuine. It doesn't smoke at all, not even cold, under load or when accelerating. I cant hear the turbo, where as you clearly can on the other 306 HDi's I've owned. And also I've noticed that distinctive 'ticking' and air gushing (sorry crap description!) sound you normally get when you put your foot down in 5th gear is missing altogether? At a guess I'd say the Turbo is not working at all. Could this be an airflow sensor problem, opening the wastegate all the time?

Performance wise, its like driving a naturally aspirated diesel really? The engine is really clean, no sign of oil anywhere I can see. No lights on the dash, (bar the ABS light which came on on the way home but is a red herring i assume!). When its not under load the engine revs quite normally, and easily revs upto 3500-4000 rpm. When under load though, it takes forever to get upto 3000rpm. You can rev it really hard in 2nd, but when you change upto 3rd it takes ages to accelerate up from 1900- 2600.

Apologies if you're reading this again, need all the help i can get!

Cheers

{Moved here because you already had a thread. Screwloose also offered good advice and you were going to go and get the car checked out? No need for a new thread.}

Edited by rtj70 on 17/11/2008 at 23:41

2000 2.0 306 HDi No power, turbo problem? - rtj70
Take it back to where you bought it - there is something wrong with it. No need to start a new thread.
2000 2.0 306 HDi No power, turbo problem? - ram_machine
Apologies Rob.

I bought the car sold as seen, and if it had been as simple as taking it back where i got it then I wouldn't of been on here bothering you knowledgable guys!

Anyway, luckily someone on Pug306.net suggested I tried unplugging the airflow sensor to test if that was causing the fault, I did that, took the car for a spin and it flies now! Its going like a rocket, just like the HDi's should.

Its unbelievable how much difference it has made, before it was like driving with the handbrake on ( I wasn't though )

I will sort out getting a replacement sensor asap, anyone got any ideas where to source a new sensor?

Thanks
2000 2.0 306 HDi No power, turbo problem? - glowplug
Hi,

According to Screwloose these should only be bought from dealers due to the large number of faulty fake ones in the system.

Steve.
2000 2.0 306 HDi No power, turbo problem? - rtj70
We're glad you've found where the fault is. Lets hope the replacement you need is not costly.
2000 2.0 306 HDi No power, turbo problem? - Marky D

I have a 2000W 306Hdi. Same problem - no go, like the turbo was not working. Garage ran diagnostics said MAF sensor was working fine, no error codes. Read this thread and asked the mechanic to disconnet MAF sensor, bingo, power back. Sourced a peugeot MAF sensor and fitted today. Car has never gone so well.

Thanks very useful