2000 1.6 ticking noise - tappets? - wd 40
SWMBO's astra has developed a ticking noise, plainly audible from inside the car at low speed under load, just audible at motorway speed.

Her tame mechanic says its the tappets and all he'd do would be change the oil and filter, so i've done that anyway and there is no difference.

Any other suggestions as to the cause and solution, or is it time to swap it in ?
2000 1.6 ticking noise - tappets? - redviper
Hi
My 2002 (52) 1.6 8v, had more or less the same issue

Last year when the weather started cold my Valve lifters where clattering, all the time regardless of whether the car was warm or not, fearful of valve lifter failure my mechanic tried a fresh change of oil, and some oil treatment, fortunately this worked but when it gets cold can be heard to clatter for a few seconds

I would suggest a fresh oil change (strictly to Vauxhalls recommendations as I?ve heard these are very fussy about the oil they need) and also in this weather these cars run cooler (because of the over sized radiator) than normal so emulsified oil (mayonnaise looking) might be apparent.
2000 1.6 ticking noise - tappets? - redviper
Sorry didnt read the message properly i over looked that the oil had been changed, but has it been changed to Vauxhalls Recomendation becasue ive heard that these engines need the correct oil
2000 1.6 ticking noise - tappets? - captain chaos
If you've got hydraulic tappets you don't want anything heavier than 10/30 really
2000 1.6 ticking noise - tappets? - bathtub tom
>>in this weather these cars run cooler (because of the over sized radiator)

Should make little or no difference if the thermostat is working correctly!

Edited by bathtub tom on 16/11/2008 at 23:00