What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - mattbod
Yes I know about the heavy fuel/oil consumption, high emissions and the lack of torque but what is this car like to live with apart from that? It comes with the recommendation of Jay Leno (someone who despite the buffoon act really knows his cars) and they are priced very temptingly now. Not thinking of buying one at the moment but it is a car that interests me, especially because of that unique engine and would like to know if anyone has actually put big miles on that Rotary engine without hassle.

P.S check out the Johnny Herbert video on www.mazda.co.uk
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - rtj70
No good for short journeys apparently. The engine gets flooded with petrol on startup and if not allowed to warm up and run for a bit will not restart. It needs taking to a dealer to drain the engine.
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - pete&hisgolf
The owners club forum can make pretty sobering reading: tinyurl.com/57w5fb. Quite a lot of significant problems, and the dealers don't appear to be great. On the plus side, a reliable one is a fine car.
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - perleman
My old boss is mates with a dealer & changes car every 6-8 months or so, takes one of their PXs. Had a Mondeo ST220, now a S60D5, with an RX8 231BHP in between. He drived 50 miles a day to work and back. Said he averaged 15MPG + a litre of synthetic oil every other time he filled up - ridiculous. I know this isn't what you asked about but thought I'd share anyway!
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - the swiss tony
They MUST be 'driven' ie used fairly hard and as another poster has said they must be warmed up - but fully... up to normal running temp.

I have known some to get to high mileages with no problems, but others were in the workshop every 10 minutes!

I have driven a fair number of RX-8's from brand new up to 50k on the clock, and Id have to say I wouldnt spend my hard earned on one.... they are quick - but I feel they dont give the sense of acceleration.... they just seem to gain momentum quickly!
when Im driving a fast car, i like to feel the push as the seat back tries to overtake me... you dont get that with the RX-8.....

I would recommend a long test drive before parting with your cash, and make sure you use all types of road.. and see how well you can reverse park it......
"warmed up - but fully... up to normal running temp."

I should have made that clear. This is not a car to pop to the local shops with.

A colleague inherited one as a company car. He got fuel paid for too. He got rid of it quickly due to tax on high emissions!

This is the right car for some but if it is your only car and might be needed for short journeys then maybe think again? Maybe a 2.3 Turbo Mazda6 MPS 4wd if you need/want a Mazda.
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - Happy Blue!
Friend of mine had one for two months before he got carjacked........
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - martint123
From "another place" (sorry DrF)

A Mazda RX8 new list is £24k

Perrys are selling '58' reg delivery milage (ie brand new) for £16.5k.

A 2 year old 16,000 miler can be had from a dealer for under £9k. Anyone who paid list for that is not going to be pleased - that's nearly £1/mile in depreciation.

Yea that is is why I posted, they seem cheap as chips and a second hand one may be good as a second car as people have suggested. There is no way 15 mpg and a litre of oil every couple hundred miles is justifiable. Seen them with reasonable miles on Auto trader for around 6K. Now that the Rt Hon Angela "Vulture's" retro tax has been postponed and hopefully scrapped, a used one might be an idea. I am fascinated by unusual engineering and although Ihave not driven one I have seen RX8s drive past and that engne just seems to sing... They have sold remarkably well over here despite the exotic nature of the machinery though.
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - madf
If you must buy a mobile moneypit with uncertain pedigree, wait 12 months is my advice.
Prices of exotica are falling rapidly. 4x4s are quoted as falling 5% a month, and I would suggest 50% a year is a good guide.

In a recession, only the very wealthy can run them.. and they have better taste.
Just asking a hypothetical quetsion in this post but I do like unorthodox machinery: it's a bland world we live in and I am known to be a bit eccentric so I may have a rush of blood to the head one day, a Prodrive fettled PZ would be nice!

I totally disagree with you on uncertain pedigree though.Jay Leno, a man who can afford anything swears by them. Mazda are the only company to have persevered with the Wankel engine and have made it reliable even if it is needs a lot of looking after and a certain understanding.They have 40 years pedigree with it! Mazda also won Le mans with a Rotary and the engineers said that they would be quite happy for the car to do another 24 hours. I have seen a lot of RX7s and RX8s with six figure miles but i accept that one could not run one everyday without deep pockets. They still seem to be common on the roads however so some people must still have the cash!
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - nick1975
any car can go wrong and they do, but given the large numbers of these on the road, the general quality of mazda stuff and that (presumably) in the grand scheme of things a second hand one of these is not going to completely burn the kids education fund, worth a punt.

obviously try it and see if you like it, get a nice one etc - same as any car but at least it's an interesting car
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - sass
I bought a 53 plate, 22,000ml, 230hp version 2 years ago to use as my daily drive (10,000mls a year) and have found it faultless and practical and economical enough to be used for an everyday car.

I use a litre of oil every 2000mls and average 20mpg (25 on motorways and A road runs but 16 in town) which could probably be improved if I stayed away from the right pedal a little more...... but I dont want to.

For some reason insurance is alot cheaper than hot hatches (My Civic Type R and Golf Gti were almost 30% more!) and Ive found servicing very reasonable.

My main gripe is the back seats do not fold down!

This car is extremely addictive and fun to drive and it never fails to put a smile on my face so as a personal choice it is worth sacrficing some of pros a more mainstream car may provide. Make sure it is for you too!

What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - vtecfan
would buy a 6 MPS with AWD. The RX-8 are REALLY expensive to keep up. Apart from fuel/oil costs, the parts are just way too expensive... since 6 MPS is fast too (265HP and AWD) and has some advances over the RX8 (since it's a sedan it has some more space), is more reliable I believe and also has a better mpg.. even if it's a 2.3 turbo.
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - Vansboy
I've been a fan of Rx8 since launch & have one if it was a soft top & Mrs V were to part with her Mx5.

But what's this, then.....
www.pistonheads.com/news/images/7874-083233.jpg
www.pistonheads.com/news/images/7874-083140.jpg

As for representing excellent value, used, I'd agree with that!

Last month, been trying to source a Celica for a customer & the availability, in the auctions is patchy. Did find a 55 reg, with lots paintwork done, 23k, but no premium pack make £6100.

Compare that to a mint 231 Rx8 same reg, 17k, for £7800, on the same day, I know I'd rather my customer forget the Toyota idea!!

VB

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/11/2008 at 00:27

Mazda 6 MPS too bland for me, whole appeal of an RX8 is in that unique engne.
The engine is fine if you take it's uniqueness into account. It does use oil (it is a rotary engine) and uses more fuel than you might think. And the need to properly warm it up after started. Flooding it can lead to problems with the rotary seals.

I know a few people who have really liked them at work but not a car for use everyday. But they tried it.

Although they all use fuel I think the 192PS might be a better choice - I also think it has more torque but cannot recall off hand why I say that. I think they are great cars to look at etc but never drove one. I could (in theory) had one as a company car last year but chose a more boring Mazda6 diesel Sport. I say in theory but emissions and MPG would make that a non-proposition.

In summary take into account the oil and fuel use and the need to properly warm them up once started and before you stop the engine engine (no local runs to the shop). Or it might render your investment and enjoyment into a negative experience.

Rob
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - movilogo
I always adored RX8 as it is one of the most practical yet so practical car. It's rear doors are so wonderful (even though people say suicide doors). The interior is so amazing!

I wish they made a version with a normal engine! In that case I would have bought it by now.

It's an excellent car but with wrong engine!
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - DP
I agree with movilogo. The rotary engine is the reason I wouldn't touch one of these with a bargepole.

I have read no review anywhere that says the rotary engine brings anything other than uncanny smoothness to the party. It's still temperamental, fragile, torque deficient, excruciatingly thirsty, and beyond the capabilities of 90-something percent of mechanics to work on.

If they'd stuck a decent V6, or even the four pot turbo from the MPS front drivers in the thing, it would have sold like hot cakes.

Cheers
DP
What's an RX8 like as a long term proposition? - Group B
I agree with movilogo. The rotary engine is the reason I wouldn't touch one of
these with a bargepole.

Me too.

Well done Mazda, a pat on the back for persevering with the Wankel rotary, but do the decent thing and offer a V6 as an alternative engine.

It should only be a matter of time before someone drops an LS-series V8 into an RX8.
Its a popular conversion for RX7s in the States, and a few people have done the same in the UK. You get a lot more power and torque for the same (or better?) fuel economy, reduced maintanance and a much better noise. The weight penalty is not much of a problem apparently. IMO the late model FD RX7 is a great looking car.

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUp6TFdRl4&feature=related

If the new 2.2 180+PS diesel would fit in the RX-8 I'd have one as my next car!
Thanks folks, It's a no go anyway for me at the moment financially although casting my eyes for one of the 70s gems mentioned in another post.

I reckon one would be strung up if one took an RX7/8 with V8 conversion to an owners club meeting though! I have always thought that the unique engine was the attraction of these cars.