Parked van what's the problem??? - Polly
We live in a residential housing estate and my husband has a works van, our car is on the drive to ensure safety for me and my toddler and the van is parked outside our house part on road part on kerb to allow access for other vehicles to pass. Skip lorries etc can pass freely.

This has been the case for 4 yrs, no one has ever commented.Our neighbours over the rd all have 2 cars 1=drive 1=road but you can get past them all. Albeit you have to slow down as they create a chicane (not a problem in my eyes as there are many children on this estate so go slow is good).
However over the last 2 mths 2 or 3 times per wk a car on entering the street upon reaching our house and until quite far past just blares his horn. This is always between 9-9.30pm. This would not bother me too much but it has woken my 2 yr old on several occasions so now i am furious.

We now know who it is and where they live, I do not want to go doing the same outside his house as this will disturb his neighbours but have considered a note asking for some consideration. he has not actually approached anyone of us so we do not know who he exactly has a problem with.
Soory for long post...any advice

Typo in header corrected

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2008 at 02:39

Paked van whats the problem??? - jbif
any advice

Have a word with your local CPSO. In my neighbourhood, they really do have a positive impact.
In cases such as yours, have gone to the "offender" and told them that their antisocial behaviour has been noticed [without naming by whom], and have given a warning that further repetition of that behaviour will result in an ASBO. It works.

Paked van whats the problem??? - Happy Blue!
Would second this advice, but would also ask two questions: -

1. Has the offender recently moved onto the road? If so, how recently?

2. Is there a covenant within the deeds of your house preventing the parking of any type of vehicle other than a pasenger car on the drive or road? You may need your solicitor to answer this one. If the answer is yes, then although the offender is being antisocial, he may be making an accurate and legal point.

However still get teh boys in blue to have a word. Why not discuss with a neighbour as well? Have they been affected by the noise - do they want to complain?
Paked van whats the problem??? - Polly
Don't know about recently moved in but this is what i thought. They live further round in the estate so couldn't be sure.
Yes it is affecting my neighbours too as well as people further up the street.
My friend works at the solicitors who dealt with our house i will ask her to look into this for me but there are numerous vans throughout the estate.

I did ask an old friend who is a police officer about the prob, he said that it would not be taken that seriously unless they weren't busy. CSPO might be a good idea, i will look into finding out who these are. The parking situation is not ideal but it has not been a problem for the last 4 yrs and what I find really irritating is why not come knock on the door and ask to discuss it.

I have typed a polite letter explaining that the noise is disturbing the residents and if he has an issue please discuss it with the people it involves (us, our neighbours, etc) and any alternative suggestions would be welcomed. My husband is going to drop it off tomo.
Paked van whats the problem??? - Lud
Someone should go out and ask why he is making all the clamour. That will put him - I doubt if it's a her - in a position where he has to admit that he is too languid to turn the steering wheel of his car this way and that. Prat.

I am slightly surprised though that no one here has criticised your old man for putting a couple of wheels on the pavement, Polly. I think it's all right myself, often necessary, but some people make an awful song and dance about it.
I have typed a polite letter explaining that the noise is disturbing the residents and if he has an issue please discuss it with the people it involves

IMO, that is what would have been a good tactic 10 or more years ago. Today, it may provoke someone in to physical violence, with your family being the losers.

Again, IMO, best to let the CPSO deal with it.

Edited by jbif on 15/11/2008 at 22:23

Paked van whats the problem??? - Pugugly
PCSO ! I thought for a moment you meant some sort of Star Wars robot.
PCSO ! I thought for a moment you meant some sort of Star Wars robot.

sometmies I tpye so fsat taht hte lettres gte jmbuled pu.

Paked van whats the problem??? - Optimist
It's a really unfortunate situation. You say you and your neighbours have drives. Do you have garages too? Lots of modern residential estates do.

It's always difficult when there is the chance of falling out with neighbours, but some people take the view that parking half on the kerb and half in the road is anti-social and when the people across the road do the same that will make the road very narrow.

Of course it would be better if your neighbour spoke to you about the problem, but if he did how would you propose to resolve it? You don't like him disturbing you, but he doesn't like you narrowing the road.

I can't see a solution other than selling one of the cars.

Paked van whats the problem??? - bathtub tom
I still firmly hold the belief:

Roads are for traffic.
Pavements are for pedestrians.

I would never consider a property that didn't have enough off-road space to park my vehicles.

We have a situation in my locality where vehicles are being parked on a bus route, causing obstructions. The properties are all forty-year-old detached, with space for at least two vehicles off-road.

I cannot understand why they feel the need to park on the road, often opposite another parked vehicle.
Paked van whats the problem??? - Hamsafar
"I cannot understand why they feel the need to park on the road, often opposite another parked vehicle."

Having grown up in the 1980s in such a newly built road (and when people didn't worry about such things) , I would say this is because the last car in would block the others, and the last car home at night may also be the last out in the morning and a lot of people shunting and restarting cars with doors repeated opening and closing before they get to work would be even more disturbing for neighbours. Also, you can't really get planning permission to build homes with adequate parking or even gardens these days (thanks two-Jags Prescott).

Edited by Hamsafar on 15/11/2008 at 23:41

Parked van whats the problem??? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I live on a development where there is a covenant stating that large 'trade' type vans may not be parked and nor may caravans, except when loading or unloading for a holiday.

I understand that parking on a pavement is not illegal but driving on one is and one has to drive on it to park on it! However it does help access for emergency vehicles etc so I think the 'offence' is overlooked.

I thought it was illegal to sound one's horn during the hours of darkness, other than in an emergency, presumably?
Parked van whats the problem??? - nick1975
just ignore the coward, i'm sure he will stop doing it soon enough
Parked van whats the problem??? - Clk Sec
There is no excuse for waking your child at 9.30 at night. However, pavements are for pedestrians.

Is it just a couple of wheels off the road or considerably more?

Clk Sec
Parked van whats the problem??? - b308
The OP does say part on road, part off... personally I don't have a problem as long as the pavement and road are not blocked... with regard to the pavement the space left should easilty be wide enough to allow passage of a double buggie (two abreast type) - if it isn't the car shouldn't be there and I have reported badly parked cars to the police who took apprpriate action...

One concern I have with vans on pavements is that they are more of a danger to children and other pedestrians, you can't see round them and the driver's view is much more limited than in a car when they are driving on or off - I think it would be better with the van on the drive and car on the road/pavement - more room on the road then as well?
Parked van whats the problem??? - Clk Sec
>>The OP does say part on road, part off...

I should hope so - although it's not uncommon to see cars and vans blocking the entire width of a pavement and forcing pedestrians onto the road.

Clk Sec
Parked van whats the problem??? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't think so! Bullies/cowards don't quit until they are confronted! PCSO is the way forward; a friend of mine lives in a cul de sac with pedestrian access to a primary school and the 15 minutes around 0900 and 1530 were a nightmare until a PCSO turned up for a few days and laid down the law to people blocking resident's driveways and double parking.
Parked van whats the problem??? - Halmer
A bit like a dog barking.

Just ignore him and he'll stop.
Parked van whats the problem??? - Mchenry
Whilst his reaction seems stupid in that the 'guilty' party doesn't even have any certainty about the reasons for his action, put yourself in his place. Your vehicle is impeding his free passage along a public highway, and does so every single day. Why should he have to manoeuver because you have decided that the space you have so generously left is sufficient for him?
Isn't this the same mentality as 'It'll be alright to stop on this yellow line because I'm only going to be 2 minutes", "I'm in a hurry so 50 in a 30 limit will be OK just for today", etc?
Parked van whats the problem??? - ifithelps
People who park their vehicles on the road in a housing estate when they have a drive/garage annoy me.

And if you must have lots of vehicles, then you should buy somewhere with sufficient parking.

Vans parked all over housing estates are also irritating.

I'm not having a go at the OP, seems everyone in her road does it and they are all content.

I live in a terraced street - my car is parked off the road at the back, but the tobacco baron opposite took to parking his van outside my front window.

Wasn't too bothered, I tend to live in the rooms at the back.

When I did speak to him about it, he said the van was there because I was the only person in the street who didn't complain about it.
Parked van whats the problem??? - bananastand
People shouldn't be sanctimonious about having a couple of wheels on the pavement. Very often it can't be helped as so many roads aren't built to allow proper parking. People can't just move to a bigger house because they have an extra car!!

The fool blowing his horn is breaking the law and I think if you insist in a nice way then the police will do something about it, like lie in wait for him.

Too many little people these days think they have the right to throw their weight around when they think they've been crossed. I'd be plotting my revenge against that horn blower if it was my kids getting woken up.....
Parked van - there is no problem! - Armitage Shanks {p}
OP says that the van is parked in such a way that there is free access for a vehicle the size a skip lorry. How can this be impedeing the free access of a car and what does the hooting person think he is acheiving by his actions? Perhaps he would like the vehicle to be legally parked, completely on the road, thus giving him even less space to pass? The person is an anti-social, low IQ loser, IMO. Get the authorities involved in some way and let them deal with it. I reiterate my point about the sounding a horn during the hours of darkness - illegal SFAIK.

Re post by ifithelps - with so many houses in multi occupancy or multi vehicle owenership parking on the road may be the only option, even if there is a garage and a drive

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 16/11/2008 at 09:49

Parked van whats the problem??? - CheapNcheerfull

Poster, does not state if it is a transit type van or a small van ?

As always there are two sides to a story ?

Part parking on the pavement it not a problem (although I think it not allowed) but as long as you allow enough room for buggeis etc to pass, which in theory cannot be the issue in this case ?

Parked van whats the problem??? - Alby Back
Suburban housing estates do seem to bring out the pettiness in people. We live on one at present. Our address is -

Nicehouse
Nicestreet
Nicetown

But the underlying current of curtain twitching fueds and parking disputes etc is almost hilarious to behold. Never have I lived in such a narrow minded and self interested community.

I have had the fortune or perhaps misfortune to live in many different locations both in this country and abroad. Most of the time I have either been in large, often, capital cities or right out in the sticks. This small town little people mentality is a new one on me and I don't like it.

In cities, unless you are very priveleged, getting parked within three streets of your house is a bonus and no one bothers about it.

In yawnurbia everyone is so defensive of their little patch of land and as in your case a wheel misplaced can cause apoplexy. Can you believe that a neighbour of mine has had complaints about parking his van on his own drive because it "looks unsightly" ?

Ignore him, hopefully he will choke on his own bile one night.
Parked van whats the problem??? - DP
Suburban housing estates do seem to bring out the pettiness in people. We live on
one at present. Our address is -
Nicehouse
Nicestreet
Nicetown
But the underlying current of curtain twitching fueds and parking disputes etc is almost hilarious
to behold. Never have I lived in such a narrow minded and self interested community.

Oh, Amen to that. We bought our first flat on a locally notorious council estate, lived there for four years, and then reflected an improvement in our financial position by buying a house on a new-ish "executive" development in a sleepy town in an affluent part of Hampshire.

I don't want to say anything too nasty as we have some lovely neighbours, but there are people living in my street who are among the most pompous, selfish, arrogant and unpleasant people it has ever been my misfortune to come across. There are "sides" - in other words if you speak to some people, you can't speak to others. If you park outside certain people's houses you return to your car to find a "don't do it again" note on your car. One guy was even claiming that "your registration details have been recorded". Truly, truly pathetic.

Take aesthetics and the criminality of much of the local youth out of the equation, and the council estate was actually a nicer place to live.

Cheers
DP
Parked van whats the problem??? - Manatee
I don't like inconsiderate parking, including on pavements, but realistically many people have little option. Then it becomes a matter of being pragmatic and trying to minimise inconvenience to others - not too much on the pavement or in the road, and, if it helps, a yard or two one way or the other to allow easiest access to a driveway opposite. I think the police take this view too and won't necessarily ticket a car just for parking partly on the pavement.

The fact is most houses do not have two off road parking spaces where either car can be got out without moving the other; and many households need two or more cars. I'm sure the OP would much rather have a carriage drive and a stable yard, but not everybody does.

I have no axe to grind here - we are lucky enough to have all the off road parking we need.

In fact we have a neighbour who leaves a sign-written Transit sized van in the road every night - their mid-terrace has no drive as such, and the front garden has been paved to house their car. It doesn't do much for the picture postcard appearance of the conservation area, but it's modern life - the guy's just trying to get a living like the rest of us, and I can find other things to fret about.

The 'hooter' is out of order - I guess he could argue that there might be a pedestrian concealed by the van, but that doesn't require a blast of the horn - on a housing estate, just slow down.

The PCSO route sounds good to me - near Stoke Mandeville hospital the residents have managed to get them more or less persecuting nurses who have nowhere else to park but other people's residential streets, so I guess they might be on the lookout for something like this to justify their existence.

Parked van whats the problem??? - Bill Payer
Several posters have commented on having houses with insufficient parking - myself, and many of my neighbours have this issue as we still have kids at home, who, years ago, would probably have long since left. So instead of 1-2 cars as 20 years ago when we moved in, most now have 4. As it happens we can fit 3 on the drive and one daughter uses a neighbours drive but others are not so fortunate.

Our road is fairly wide, but some on some the narrower roads people did park almost completely blocking the pavements - however that's been fixed by someone keying cars that are parked in such a way. For some reason a couple of the roads have become inhabited by multiple works vans - I know it is the way many people work these days but of course there was never any thought when the estate was designed that this would happen and it really doesn't do anything for the look of the area.
Parked van whats the problem??? - Pugugly
There was some "Beat the Credit Crunch" filler nonsense on a TV programme the other week. Renting driveway spaces was one of their many ideas. Now that's got a lot of pitfalls !
Parked van whats the problem??? - davmal
Just for clarification I believe that Construction and Use Regs prohibit horn use from 2330 to 0700 in built up areas except when another road user poses a danger, however I do agree that their behaviour is anti social, if there is no real need to sound the horn.
Parked van whats the problem??? - Pendlebury
Polly, as above, have a word with the local bobby, but before you do just be careful of people in glass houses. I think it very ignorant of drivers of vans and cars that park on the kerb as you describe. I would like to bet it is a little more than the kerb and you are causing an obstruction and a danger to pedestrians.
Personally I would not like a van to be parked in my street and most deeds do not permit this. I would put up with it but can understand people who feel frustrated by it. I suppose their point is that if they wanted to look at a van all evening and weekend they would live on an industrial estate.

Edited by Pendlebury on 16/11/2008 at 12:09

Parked van whats the problem??? - gordonbennet
The horn blowing sounds to me like idiot mentality, so whether the opcs's can do anything i do doubt but worth a try, we had a problem for years where i lived before about a mile from an itinerant camp, they would blow hooters when passing all the time, i could have done the same to them when returning from night shift circa 3.30am but that would bring me down to their level, not going there.

It sounds to me like he OP and their neighbours try their best to live and let live, the parking takes into account the passing of trucks, which means emergency services can get through, thats often not the case where idiotic people park cars opposite each other, usually on estates. But as so often in these things it only needs one plank to spoil life for all.

Unless the OP's van is making the footpath impassible, i can't really see anything wrong, i suppose they could pack their jobs in and go on the dole instead, that would mean i less van (unless of course their next door neighbour gets the job), silly i know, but most of us have to work and vans etc are part and parcel of life.

OP, think hard, does the van make it difficult for this hornblower or any of his mates families to walk past with shopping/pushchairs or the like.

And i do agree with there being a bit of chicanery on some estates, keeps the speed of some down.

Parked van whats the problem??? - Pugugly
and provide excellent hiding places for little people on bikes/scooters.
Parked van whats the problem??? - Alby Back
Might be a silly question but is there really a problem in putting the van on the drive and the car on the road ? Possibly the compromise needed ? If it's a case of getting kids into the car safely they can be attended to from kerbside can't they ?
Parked van whats the problem??? - oldnotbold
Some people near us started a business, and bought a Sherpa Luton van. They had plenty of drive-space, but chose to park it on the pavement/street, leaving less than 2' of space between the van and their 6' beech hedge. I asked them to move it, as I could not walk past on the pavement, and got an earfull from her (he was silent..)

When I got home I range the police non-emergency number, and explained the situation. They said they'd have a word, and clearly they did, as it's been on their drive since. In the case of the OP, it may be that the kerb is large enough to allow someone to pass even when the van is parked as described, but it's pretty irritating to have to move into the road to get past a vehicle that's hogging the footway.
Parked van whats the problem??? - b308
putting the van
on the drive and the car on the road ?

As I suggested earlier... safer for all concerned I think...

Edited by b308 on 16/11/2008 at 14:44

Parked van what's the problem??? - L'escargot
van is parked outside ........ part on kerb .........

Don't be surprised if it causes damage to underground services ~ gas pipes, drains, electricity cables, telephone cables etc. Pavement foundations aren't as substantial as road foundations.
Parked van what's the problem??? - grumpyscot
Is it really necessary to create a "chicane"? Can you not all park on the same side of the road?

Have you ever thought what would happen if there was a fire or medical emergency and the fire / ambulance couldn't get through?

Time to stop being selfish and think of others.

Another thought though - and what happened in our estate - the council considered that, as a commercial vehicle (HGV class) was being parked on a driveway, this meant that the house was being used for commercial purposes and so made the houseowner apply for planning permission to use the premises for business and then changed his rates to business levels. They also questioned whether he had an Operator's license to keep the vehicle there (apparently local bye-law prohibits overnight parking of HGVs anywhere other than official vehicle parks).

He moved it.

Parked van what's the problem??? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Are you sure L'escargot? How are underground services not damaged when you drive across a pavament to access your drive?
Parked van what's the problem??? - b308
A van parked with half its weight actually on the pavement will cause more damage over time than one which just drives across it?

Edited by b308 on 17/11/2008 at 08:37

This is higher maths and advanced logic to me! If 2 wheels are on the pavement up to 1/2 the weight is on the pavement. If all 4 wheels are on the pavement, while the vehicle crosses it, the the full weight is on the pavement at the same time! Thread drift - I'll stop!
Parked van what's the problem??? - sierraman
A van parked with half its weight actually on the pavement will cause more damage
over time than one which just drives across it?

Is this a statement or a question?

When installing a kerb drop the pavement must be reinforced to take the weight of the vehicle,otherwise ruts will appear in tarmac or flags will crack.
I would not give the hornblower(making me think of C.S.Forester's stories)your phone number,as suggested above,could lead to a deluge of unwanted pizzas,taxis etc..
Is this a statement or a question?

It was a "I think I'm right, but can someone confirm it" questionmark!! ;)
Parked van what's the problem??? - daveyjp
On pavements where there are driveways the services will be deeper - I've been involved in jobs to create vehicle access and part of the works has been to bury service pipes deeper.
AS, it'd only be momentary when driving across - assume you are lying down and someone walks across you, if they are quick enough you will probably be ok, now imagine they stood on you and remained there for several hours!
DJP & b308 - that is clear and makes a lot of sense - thanks!
Are you sure L'escargot? How are underground services not damaged when you drive across a
pavament to access your drive?

I can't answer your question about access to drives. Perhaps the foundations are more substational at those locations. However, a few years ago I spoke to a gas board worker who was outside our house drilling holes in the pavement to find a gas leak. He told me it had more than likely been caused by pavement parking.

Numerous councils state that damage can be caused to underground services by pavement parking. tinyurl.com/5z2ql3

Edited by L'escargot on 17/11/2008 at 16:57

Parked van what's the problem??? - the swiss tony
>> Are you sure L'escargot? How are underground services not damaged when you drive across
a
>> pavament to access your drive?
I can't answer your question about access to drives. Perhaps the foundations are more substational at those locations.

Could it be that 'crossing' the pipes etc, does less harm than running 'along' them?
Strange thing though.... along the A40 at Wycombe Marsh (High Wycombe) there is car parking bays marked partly on the road, and partly ON the pavement!
Parked van what's the problem??? - FotheringtonThomas
As some people (at least one) find it an annoyance, then is there plenty of room for a fire engine or an ambulance to get by easily? That you say "you have to slow down as (vehicles) create a chicane" suggests there isn't.

You could park the van elsewhere, perhaps. 100yds. down the road should open up lots of possibilities.

Edit: Close "

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 17/11/2008 at 10:44

Parked van what's the problem??? - Alan
Polly does not say what size van it is. The fact that is it has to illegally park partly on the pavement to allow other vehicles passage suggests that it is quite large. If that is the case is it displaying parking lights at night as required for all comercial vehicles over 1525 Kg. Before involving the police she might consider that to do so could mean that they start to inforce the law and give parking tickets to her husband and other similar local offenders.
The actions of the other driver seem strange if there is no problem in him being able to get passed the "obstuction". If my memory serves me correctly it is only after 10.30 pm that it is illegal to sond a horn so his action in hooting is not actually illegal. Possibly his view is obstructed and he is hooting to warn any oncoming traffic.
Parked van what's the problem??? - Optimist
Near to where I live there's a largeish, recently built residential estate. As far as I can tell, every house has a garage. The roads are narrow and wind. They must have looked very nice on the plan.

When I went through there recently I could see that loads of people used their garages for anything but cars, usually storage. This meant that in two car families one car went on the drive and the other half-on and half-off the pavement with the result that the place looked like a cross between a traffic jam and a used car lot. A real mess in what could have been a pleasant place to live.

Parked van what's the problem??? - rtj70
Don't forget modern garages are small and cars often do not fit.

Our road is not that narrow but if cars did not park slightly on the pavement then any large trucks (so refuse, fire engines, etc.) would not get down it. And the drive opposite us would struggle to get off because of the reduced space.

One of our cars does go in the garage and the other (company car) stays on the road. If I put mine on the drive then it would need to come off to get my wife's car out etc. And we have a shared drive.
Parked van what's the problem??? - rustbucket
New housing developments are built to the current regulations which deliberately restrict parking to try to discourage vehicle ownership.This does not work so the overspill off vehicles end up in the road or half on the pavement.Obstruction of the pavement and the public highway is an offence, however the police sometimes turn a blind eye to both these offences as there is no easy remidy. It is only controlled by fines for a short period if someone complaines, then after a short time the parking problems return.
"New housing developments"

Our house was built about 100 years ago ;-) Nice fairly wide tree lined road.

But you're absolutely right on new developments. We're looking to downsize at some point. We've seen some development where there is a single parking space outside the house... we've had three cars here at times.
view of the road is not obstructed and it is illegal to use horn between 23.00-7.00 i have already discussed this with a police officer friend. It is a transit van in an extremely well lit area so well lit i need not use light in bedroom!
Parked van what's the problem??? - OldSock
Although the legalities of parking on the footway have been mentioned, it should be pointed out that parking on the public highway is not, technically, allowed either!
Parked van what's the problem??? - ifithelps
Using garages for anything but parking cars is a problem on housing estates where space is tight.

Take the point that garages are built small, but many couples' second car - Fiesta, Punto, Micra etc - would fit, even if 'his' company car would not.

Edited by ifithelps on 17/11/2008 at 13:04

Our garage will take a big car thankfully. We used to put my Passat in there okay. The Mondeo fitted if you cleared the sides of the garage etc. But with the Seicento in there there's room to get things in and out with the car in there. And since my wife cycles most places her car can stay in the garage a lot of the time.
Parked van what's the problem??? - DP
I can fit a Fiesta in our garage (early 90's built house), but have to exit via the tailgate or sunroof. There are also gas and water pipes just waiting to be snagged. It's a joke.
Parked van what's the problem??? - CGNorwich
The problem is that an increasing number of households have 2,3 or more cars, invariably justified as being essential. The plain fact is that if you don't have somewhere to keep vehicles without causing an obstruction you should not buy them. Similarly those with businesses who park their vans etc on the road should be obliged to pay for off road parking. Why should public property be use for business parking? It's illegal to park your HGV on a road overnight, It should be illegal to so park any commercial vehicle, at least without some sort of permit.
Parked van what's the problem??? - rustbucket
>>The plain fact is that if you don't have somewhere to keep vehicles without causing an obstruction you should not buy them.

I agree,you would not own a horse if you had nowhere to stable it.
Similarly those with
businesses who park their vans etc on the road should be obliged to pay for
off road parking.

Is a person with their own business van any different to those with company car which could also be classified the same way...
Is a person with their own business van any different to those with company car which could also be classified the same way...

Technically not but its a question of degree. The vans I'm referring to are the large transit style vans.
Parked van what's the problem??? - 3T
businesses who park their vans etc on the road should be obliged to pay for
off road parking. Why should public property be use for business parking? It's illegal to
park your HGV on a road overnight It should be illegal to so park any
commercial vehicle at least without some sort of permit.

On the subject of works vans- I am sure in the 70s when my father worked as a telephone engineer, his work had a compound full of vans that employees would leave there overnight, making their own way to and from work.

What is on the site now? A small ish set of offices and the old van compund sold off and turned into retail space!

This means every engineer takes a van home and the previously public company that has been privatised gets a nice payout for the plot and gives the rest of us streets full of works vans.
It is probably far more convenient for the company and the engineers this way , but, multiply this across the board for the previously public companies , add in the already private companies and you soon find a lot of non owner vans parked in a lot of streets.
Parked van what's the problem??? - audiA6tdi
The estate i live on prohibts commercial vehicles, so the neighbour may have a point.
Parked van what's the problem??? - Lud
Whenever I read threads of this sort I feel glad that I live on a metropolitan main road and bus route. The whole environment is so noisy and generally busy and non-private that the question of people getting possessive about some bit of gutter simply doesn't arise. They have to express the tenuous nature of their hold on reality in some other way.

Of course all the clamour, dust and paranoia leave quite a lot to be desired. But their permanent presence does keep these pea-brained quarrelsome types off one's back.
Passing traffic does have its benefits - yobs don't tend to gather so there's not so much general skullduggery as in a cul-de-sac.

I think traffic can have a policing effect for more serious crime as well, such as burglaries and street robberies.
Parked van what's the problem??? - oilrag
I would far rather have a transit parked across the road than a self righteous personality.
;)
Parked van what's the problem??? - ijws15

If the PCSO speaks to the driver he will no doubt ask them to do something about the vehicles parked on the footpaths so you may get a parking ticket (and so may your neighbours - how will they feel about you stirring things up then). He may also write to planning/developer about the works vans in contravention of the covenants that you will have signed when you bought the house.

You cannot expect everyone else to abide by the rules and complain if they do not when YOU do not comply with the rules.

Let him who is without sin . . . . . . .

Edited by Pugugly on 17/11/2008 at 15:32

complain if they do not when YOU do not comply with the rules.

Rules schmules.

The OP's husband breaks the so-called rules for the convenience of passing traffic. Some of the passing traffic chooses to make an offensive clamour at night for no good reason.

What matters more here, rules or behaviour? It's obvious to me anyway.
How would you feel about you 2 yr old being repeatedly being woken up by an inconsiderate hornblower?
As mentioned several times the situation is not ideal and i agree about pedestrian safety etc espec as i have mentioned i have children, we have tried to ignore it for 2mth and it makes no difference.As for the covenants i am checking this and i can assure you if they started issuing parking tickets for this 90% of our estate would recieve one!
I would far rather have a transit parked across the road than a self righteous personality

Unfortunately they're not mutually exclusive ! :-)
Parked van what's the problem??? - mikeyb
I take it the person who is "hooting" is doing so at the op and not aiming it at someone else (like a friend next door?) Perhaps op is feeling a little guilty over parking on the pavement and assumes its being directed their way?

As a ped and motorist I can tell you its a reall pain when people park on the pavement and I cant get past with my 3 kids (one in a puschair) and a safety risk having them all walk in the road to get around
We appreciate the situation is not ideal and would park the van elsewhere if we were able (but as someone mentions my hubby has to make a living and is entitled to) but it seems strange that the van has been parked this way for 4yrs and has suddenly become a problem.
The person in question is not a neighbour he lives at the other end of the estate, we have several police officers living on the estate and no one has ever asked it to be moved. He is definately not beeping at a friend as all the surrounding neighbours have been upset by the antisocial behaviour. Even last night i am a nurse and when i left for work i did take note of the access past my house it was a clear way through and yet he still did it at 9.10 and again woke my son (who is not the best sleeper unfortunately).

He is an older gentleman (haha gentleman right ) and as many people point out parking on these types of estates is an issue. We cannot afford 2 cars so that my hubby can drive to the showroom where he works to collect a van and as i work shifts i cannot always be home to take him.
I intend on getting up early from my nights to find out who cspo are and speaking to them for advice. I feel it is a sorry state to be in if this is all the person in question has to worry about and wish it was all i had to worry about every mon and fri evening. Van may end up not being there soon as hubby could yet be laid off in the recession!
Yes someone mentionedlmo at the letter but it is better than my hubby confronting the man in his anger as this certainly won't acheive anything.
We appreciate the situation is not ideal ..........

Regardless of every other factor, you don't seem at all concerned about possible damage to services under the pavement. Having had a gas leak under the pavement outside our house at one time (more than likely caused by pavement parking, acording to the gas board man who was trying to locate the leak) this is a major issue.
Also why can't you park them the other way round? I'm sure that what he objects to is athe van rather than the parking... so try it with the van on the drive and car on the road and see if that works... You don't know, but he might have had issues getting past the van when as a pedestrian and decided that this is way of getting back at you... regretably we don't know his side of the story...

So, why not try swapping the vehicles over and see what happens???
Parked van what's the problem??? - Manatee
Regardless of every other factor you don't seem at all concerned about possible damage >>to
services under the pavement. [...] this is a major issue.

You cannot be serious? Maybe the 'hooter' is a public spirited gas man?

Acknowledging that it is difficult to be King Solomon when we have only heard one side of the story, this sounds like nothing more complicated than a small minded curmudgeon harassing people for what millions of people do, and have little real choice than to do, every day.

If hooter he has a serious point he should either communicate it in a civilised way or report it to the proper authorities. I'm tempted to say he needs his horoscope read.
You are right we only have 1 side of story but my issue is his manner, why not come and speak to us directly but no one has ever mentioned this as a problem and neighbours think it is unlikely that this is problem although we are not convinced. We do not know for definate that this is the problem because like i say this has only begun 2mths ago and parking situation has been like this for 4 yr.

As for parking on the road, the safety of my children is my concern and getting them in and out of car on a road is not what i would consider the safest option especially as speeding is an issue on this estate anyway. Unfortunately i do not have eyes in the back of my head and 6 pairs of arms to unlock car,hold them, open doors, fold buggies etc so the car being on the drive allows me to safely place children in car. If we are not going to be around for few days then van is parked on drive , same as if i am on nights as i leave at 7pm and am not home until 8.30 am and has occasionally been left at work but my hubby has alot of heavy tools that require unloading and reloading each day. This has not stopped the hooter though so far!

I think the hooter is more than likely retired and has nothing better to do than annoy hard working young families who are entitled to earn a living and unfortunately needs a van to do this.
I am waiting for a response from an email sent to neighbourhood policing team
Sorry just read back through some posts and realised not answered some questions, yes buggy can pass as i have done myself several time.

Yes one child can be organised from kerbside but what about the other....do i then have to turn the car around so that is on kerbside??? Silly me thinks.

No we cannot all park on one side of round as this will obsrtuct others drives, one neighbour has larger area outside there house and may consider allowing hubby to park there but this creates another problem as it is off a roundabout..........so basically would drive round the roundabout and straight into the van obscuring view which does happen a bit now due to other neighbours car but better a car than van.

I feel that alot of people feel hubby is at fault but unfortuantely we do not have alternative, i would have prefered gentleman in question to come and speak to us and not be disturbing the peace and my son.

The whole estate is like one big chicane due to people having multiple cars.
Parked van what's the problem??? - Andy P
This is one Council's view:

Pavements are constructed and provided for pedestrian use. Vehicles parked on pavements may be:-

A potential hazard for all road users, especially pedestrians, who may have to step off the pavement onto the highway thus putting themselves in danger.

Restricting the width of the pavement making it difficult for someone with a pushchair, a wheelchair or a toddler to pass safely. - again this person may have to step into the highway to avoid the obstruction.

Damaging essential services.

What action can be taken against pavement parking?

Parking on a section of public footway could be considered by a Police Officer to be "obstruction of the public highway". If there are waiting restrictions (yellow lines) on the highway adjacent to the pavement, Parking tickets (known as Penalty Charge Notices) could be issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer, since a vehicle parked in this manner is in contravention of a traffic order. Waiting restrictions cover the highway from centre of highway to back of footpath.

If there are no waiting restrictions on the highway adjacent to the pavement, then the matter could be reported to the Police, and a Police Officer may deem that it constitutes "obstruction of the public highway".
Parked van what's the problem??? - jbif
Polly, don't get diverted from your original question.

Go ahead and talk to a PCSO. If in his/her view you are contributing to the problem by parking a van on the pavement, they will tall you so. If most other residents in the road are parking on the pavement, the council and the Police will probably understand the real life problem and not wish to be unpopular in the community by trying to enforce an unenforceable "pavement" parking rule.

However, the problem you want help with is the anti-social behaviour of one resident and I feel confident that it will get sorted by the PCSO as there are a a number of residents being disturbed by the "hooter".

Parked van what's the problem??? - slowdown avenue
i went to the cop shop to complain about ataxi driver who used to hoot on a sunday morning at 6.30 . the copper said if you think were going to put somebody down there in the hope of stopping him forget it we havent got the resources. so i gave him a right lecture on how YOU ONLY WANT THE EASY MONEY.. but if your parked on the pavement and report this to the police youve no chance. i just wish my occassional hoot going over some speed humps would have the same affect
Parked van what's the problem??? - mjm
The OP posted >>However over the last 2 mths 2 or 3 times per wk a car on entering the street upon reaching our house and until quite far past just blares his horn.<<

How do you know that he is blowing his horn at you? He may be blowing it earlier at the next house he is going to pass.

He may be using his audible warning to alert any pedestrian that he is there, and it isn't safe to try and cross blindly behind the van parked on the road.
Parked van what's the problem??? - GJD
He may be using his audible warning to alert any pedestrian that he is there
and it isn't safe to try and cross blindly behind the van parked on the
road.

Doesn't sound likely from the OP's description. When sounding a horn warning to alert other road users to one's presence, one doesn't blare - one toots. Very different (although with the modern, almost universal trend to replace a proper button with the "panic thump" device in the steering wheel, thereby promoting entirely the wrong attitude to the horn, it has become disappointingly easy for a toot to inadvertantly become a blare).
We appreciate the situation is not ideal and would park the van elsewhere if we
were able (but as someone mentions my hubby has to make a living and is
entitled to)

So what's stopping him walking 100 yards to a different parking place?

the van has been parked this way for 4yrs and has suddenly become a problem.

Maybe someone else has started parking in a different place, and your dubiously-parked van is now more of an issue.

I intend on getting up early from my nights to find out who cspo are
and speaking to them for advice.

Go to your nearest police station, and report the matter. You could point them to this thread.
>>So what's stopping him walking 100 yards to a different parking place?

As previously mentioned there is no where else to park this is a big residential housing estate with over 200 houses on it else he would. It is parked outside our house and does not obstruct views as no one looks out directly onto it.If he were to park it 100yards away he would obstruct drives and people would be looking directly onto it.

No one new has moved into the area where he hoots and no one's parking has changed as previuously mentioned we do not know it us directed as us especially as it continues far up the road but it starts just before us and it is my son he is waking.

Again as mentioned spoke to a police man i know who told me it would not be taken seriously and he can't see the problem with how the cars/van is parked but i have emailed the PCSO and am waiting to hear back.

I will add again for good measure, pedastrians and buggys can get passed maybe this is the problem the hooter may want it completely out of the way so he can go even faster. Police officers live on this estate and my hubby has worked for some of them and they have never felt it a problem.
Thank you people some of you have been really helpful.
Parked van what's the problem??? - CheapNcheerfull
"Thank you people some of you have been really helpful."

Polly I do not think the others have been unhelpful ?

Just because you post here does not mean you have to be treated any special ?

I must admit when I first saw your post it I thought all posts would all be in your favour, but to be honest it is great to see many people not taking sides just because you may be a fellow poster on HJ.

In all honesty I think there is no use in trying to guess what the issue is with this person but to ask him outright ?
Well not all my posts have been helpful! I got sidetracked into a discussion about damage to underground services caused by parking on pavements! Relevant overall but not to OP's main question. Everybody has been helpful to a degree - some more than others IMO!
Parked van what's the problem??? - Bromptonaut
Like several others I'm not at all clear how the OP is sure the blast is aimed at her.

Like several others I'm not at all clear how the OP is sure the blast is aimed at her.

Does that matter? It is waking her baby, it is causing her a disturbance, and so it is affecting her. In my mind, the van is a side issue.

CheapNcheerful, I do not and have never expected to be treated speacial i meant some more helful than others as armitage shanks states it got a little sidetracked and irrelevent to the original post. Guilty of this myself.

I do actually want to go and speak to this gentleman but have been advised against it because told it may be deemed confrontational. I feel it is a sad world we live in when you cannot knock on someones door to ask a question. i never believed all would be in my favour I only wanted advice from people that had maybe been insimilar situations or had any words of wisdom. Some people have given these and others haven't had any experience of it but thats life.
Polly:
When you talk to the PCSO, it may be wise to mention just the facts as you see them regarding the noise nuisance. All you know at this stage is that this man for some reason or other hoots as he goes past the neighbourhood of your house. Do not assume any reasons for his behaviour, nor that it is aimed at your family.

So, do NOT mention your van, and let the "hooter" bring it up with the PCSO if it turns out that the van is the reason for his behaviour.

That is very good advice jbif. Your previous post too was very much to the point.
That is very good advice jbif. Your previous post too was very much to the point.

Thank you, Lud.

Perhaps it's that 'Hoot if you've had it today' slogan someone has written in the dirt on the back of the van.
Maybe, never thought of that.
Jbif, Thank you and i have now spoken to neighbourhood team and they are going to go speak to him and get back to me. I hadn't read this post prior to speaking but did say we do not know if it is directed at us but that it is a nuisance. She asked if we thought there could be any reason i said that parking was an issue on estate.
She said she knew the estate and knew of the issues but "will go see what his gripe is".

So hopefully will get to bottom of it, he may even have alternative suggestions if it is the van thats the issue such as parking van on his much longer drive..lol
Parked van what's the problem??? - bananastand
well really to go on about parking slightly on the pavement... what possible choice has Polly's husband got? Resign? Move house? Is a trannie really that much heavier than a car? On these estates almost everyone has to park in this way, do they all get a ticket a day?

there are some misery guts around. Harumphing about like a retired colonel (Not referring to H Backbridge!)

get a few burly mates to stand in the road at 9 o'clock. He can hardly run them all over.

This has been suggested lol as my hubby also plays rugby we have a good few mates like this haha.
If he has a genuine issue i have no problem with this but it is the manner with which he is behaving that i have a gripe about. And they say the younger generations are the rude ones!
Parked van what's the problem??? - Alyn Beattie
Polly
How far away does he live? Perhaps its a signal to his wife to open garage door, put kettle on or some such thing.

Parked van what's the problem??? - Pendlebury
Why not try and reverse your parking situation.
Park the Van on the drive and the car on the road.
That may sort it all out.
I struggle to believe that it is unsafe to walk from the pavement to your house.
The only point I am trying to make is that we all do things because they suit us and sometimes this is to the detriment to others. Maybe if you reversed your parking arrangments he may see some good will and the problem will disappear.
I hear what people say about parking on the footpath but I have seen allot of posters appear in local amenities in my area discouraging it as it is becoming a danger to pedestrians as more and more people do it.
We do sometimes park van on drive, car on road but more often than not as i am the first one home it's car on drive. My husband arrives home between 5.30-6pm by which time i am doing nice wifey things such as cooking, getting bathtime ready etc so yes it is parked this way for ease i admit but we are not the only people with vans & cars parked on street. Interesting it will be to find out what the problem is.

He lives at the other end of the estate so unfortunately i struggle to believe it is a signal to wife. Although i may try this to my hubby when coming home from nights for my breakfast.

I agree it is not completely unsafe we do however live on the corner and this road is busy, people do speed and unfortunately speed bumps do not slow them, the gentleman is also guilty of this. We are trying to get the estate to have 10-20mph limit and people even cut out the roundabout into our road for quickness.....madness really. What i do mean about parking on the road is the difficulty of ensuring childrens safety, manange shopping etc (pregnant & shoulder impingment injury prevent to much lifting) but this is again distracting from the issue. We are very reasonable people and have never in 5yrs of living in this house had a problem so it is such a shame now.

Hopefully the CPSO will come back with an answer and suggestions and we can hopefully resolve the situation. I just cannot understand why when nothing in the circumstances of our neighbours or us has changed he has suddenly decided to act so strangely. Nothing stranger than folk!
He lives at the other end of the estate so unfortunately i struggle to believe
it is a signal to wife. Although i may try this (sound horn) to my hubby when
coming home from nights for my breakfast.

Don't do that, you'll wake the baby, or someone else's baby, or someone might tell the police about it.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 18/11/2008 at 20:35

Good point but i don't get home from nights until 8.30am so this is slightly more acceptable. Thats only if i manage to leave the ward in time.
Good point but i don't get home from nights until 8.30am so this is slightly
more acceptable.

No its not, Polly, using your horn is not acceptable unless it is being used for its intended purpose... letting another road user know you are there in circumstances where you believe they may not be aware of you...

This sounding of horns to say 'goodbye' or 'hello I'm home' really, really gets up my wick... don't people realise that there are those of us you work shift patterns where we may be trying to sleep in the early evenings or mornings because we are going to or returning from work in the early hours?? How would you like it if I sounded my horn when I left or got home at 2 or 3am??

Quite honestly if you do that you are just as bad as he is in my eyes...
b308
If you read the other posts that was meant as a joke to a joke placed by someone else. If i was going to lower myself to his level i would have done it by now. As a shift worker your statement is my point exactly
Parked van what's the problem??? - Pugugly
What's with the number FT ?
Just a lighthearted reference, PU.
I think I get it now - Tolstoy ?
10/10
Parked van what's the problem??? - Pezzer
Why not try it for a few days ? If the hooting stops then I suspect you will have your answer. I'm sure its not that difficult to remember to leave the drive free for the van. If it stops then everybody is happy.... arent they ??

Parked van what's the problem??? - GroovyMucker
That is very good advice jbif. Your previous post too was very much to the
point.

Blimey.

If Lud's going to start rating posts, that's me done for.

;-(
Parked van what's the problem??? - CheapNcheerfull
Yes could be deemed confrontational. Will be interesting to see what his issue is as it can't be too much of a problem if only he is making his feelings known ?
Parked van what's the problem??? - bathtub tom
>>Hopefully the CPSO will come back with an answer

Don't hold your breath. There was a story in the press about them taking nine months to reply to an e-mail IIRC.

I've been waiting a month for a reply about a noisy moped, and I gave them it's registration.
I emailed and spoke with them in person, i'll give them a week or so and if prob persists I'llget back onto them. Otherwise I will be going round to see him myself (with raging pregnancy hormones too lol)
"Otherwise I will be going round to see him myself"

Protect yourself from possibilities Polly and let the statutory services deal with it.
You never know someone`s mental state.

Regards
Yeah point taken but not sure if you mean mine or his...lol
I used to work in Mental Health - seen just about everything in the community. Some people pose a risk - even in `good` areas.
My husband says i pose a risk at min but only to him. It is is sad but true that you never can tell what someone is thinking and how they will react. I work in ICU which is stressful and we have seen our fair share of irrate relatives/patients lashing out over something like being asked to pay for coffee machine so you are right better not to put oneself in the firing line so to speak
I live a `very` low profile life, in retirement ;)
You should try my job - all types of mental health problems, and that's before the public ever get to us - I'm not joking.
PU, Tell me about it ;)
Parked van what's the problem??? - bathtub tom
>>You should try my job - all types of mental health problems

Tell me about it, I've got a wife and two daughters, and one of the daughter's pregnant. ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom on 18/11/2008 at 22:25

Parked van what's the problem??? - peterb
Agree that you shouldn't assume your van is the problem.

Is one of your neighbours (also disturbed by the hooting) willing to speak to him? Perhaps a couple of people could ask him not to hoot.
Parked van what's the problem??? - Blue {P}
I didn't realise how lucky I am, I live in a new build estate and have a parking space outside my front door (although no front garden), a garage that fits a small car (or a larger one if I remove the tumble dryer), and a rear courtyard that can hold up to about 10 cars if parked sensibly that I share with a few neighbours. The front courtyard holds about 5 cars in total as well. For a modern estate I suppose this must be exceptional judging by the comments on here.

Having said that, it doesn't look very tidy on the odd occasions that it's full, but at least there's room for the neighbours to keep the Transits out on the street!