Dartford toll increase from 2200 GMT on 15 Nov - henry k
Toll charges are to be increased by up to 50% for the Dartford crossing over the Thames between Kent and Essex.
The new Dartford Tunnel and QEII bridge fees, which include free access between 2200 and 0600, will be officially introduced at 2200 GMT on Saturday.
Day-time crossings will rise from £1 to £1.50 for cars. Lorries will be charged £2 or £3.70, depending on their size.
However, local car drivers will be able to join a scheme for 50 free crossings and a 20p rate for subsequent uses.
The discount scheme is available to people who live within areas covered by Dartford and Thurrock councils.
'Dart-Tag'
Residents in Dartford and Thurrock, Essex, will get the free journeys after they pay a £10 registration fee for an electronic tag, known as a Dart-Tag, to display in their car's windscreen.
Other users of the Dart-Tag will be charged £1 for a crossing by car, £1.75 for two-axle goods vehicles or £3.20 for multi-axle goods vehicles.
A spokesperson for the AA said they were concerned the free access at night would add to congestion as drivers rushed to cross the Thames before 0600 GMT.
The toll was to end in 2003, by which time the bridge and tunnel had been paid for, but was kept on by the Department for Transport (DfT) as a congestion charge.
The DfT said an independent report in 2001 showed that without charges, traffic would increase by 17.1%.
More than 7,700 people have put their names to an online petition against all charges on the route on the Prime Minister's website.

Dartford toll increase from 2200 GMT on 15 Nov - astrabob
Toll charges are simply extortion. All road users have more than paid for the cost of using the road through fuel duty, road tax and VAT.

The rise of 50% is shocking. However, the free night time use and discount for local users is a bit better.

The pricing of river crossings is inconsistent and unjust. The Mersey tunnels are £1.40 for cars at all times, including local residents. The Conwy tunnel is North Wales is free. I suspect that the tunnel charges are set as high as local conditions will allow, without causing excessive local opposition.

Dartford toll increase from 2200 GMT on 15 Nov - boxsterboy
I'm sure this increase has been planned for a while, but it is funny how it comes hot on the heels of Boris cancelling the other river crossing. Now that WOULD have reduced congestion both at Dartford and Blackwall!

I suspect Blackwall will be getting (even) busier now ...
Dartford toll increase from 2200 GMT on 15 Nov - Altea Ego
Department for Transport (DfT) as a congestion charge.
The DfT said an independent report in 2001 showed that without charges, traffic would increase by 17.1%.

I have never read so much tripe. This kind of merde is insutling to a normal persons intelegence - If the powers that be could just tell the truth they might earn a bit of respect instead of the contempt that we are starting to hold them in.

Whats wrong with "Yes the crossing is now paid for, but as you have no other crossing to use we are going to keep the toll to pay for its maintenance and make a profit"

See simple honest and trustworthy.