Am I mad to do this? Mk5 Astra to Mk7 Civic Type R - Stuski
Well title says it all.

I own a 1.6 club new shape Astra.

Nice car but very boring. it is worth a little under 6k.

I was thinking of part x it for a civic type r of a couple years older for around the same price.

My reasons are.

Petrol price dropping like a stone.

The u turn on the tax for at least a year (more than likely happening)

Want a car I can enjoy but still fairly sensible storage reasonable MPG?

So guys any pros and cons for my idea?

Your knowledge and advice would be greatly appreciated by someone who has sod all technical knowledge with cars just like them to be fast and fun.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/11/2008 at 19:42

Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - Altea Ego
Dont rely on petrol or taxation prices, The only criteria is - Do you want one? if you do - buy one.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - smallfish
Like the man said - If you can afford it at today's prices and want it then - you only live once!

But if you can only afford it if petrol and tax stay cheap then think very carefully.

I bought a Seat Leon Cupra a couple of years back and I have no regrets in the sense that I can afford to run it and I love to drive it - but as a result of economics, tax, the Prius effect etc it has depreciated a lot more than I had hoped - so I'll have to keep it longer and wait a bit longer for the next car (Alfa 159!) than I'd planned to.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - midlifecrisis
Just bear in mind that the taxation 'delay' is an attempt by the incompetent Brown to buy votes. God forbid he wins again, stand by to be shafted in a very major way.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - Stuski
I can afford to. Even if prices go back up to 118s again.

When i bought the Astra me and the missus were not quite as well of as we are now. (both got better jobs)

Indeed you only live once so i think i may just look into it. Mind you now you mention the Leon Cupra that was also a consideration of mine. Which do i go for guess ill get more Car out of the Leon but what about reliability?

It just seems like a good time to buy a thirsty car they are much cheaper to buy now with petrol prices and the tax gloom. Thought i could get in and get my self a year or twos worth of driving with not too much extra depreciation.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - rtj70
If you can afford it and want it then why not? Assume you can also cover for any repairs/fixes needed if something did go wrong.

None of us should assume medium to long term petrol and diesel will be this low. It will be for a while (so enjoy the Honda?) and the tax increase may be delayed. You never know what will happen so enjoy life if within your budget now. The Astra sounds boring.

I'd personally think of other "fun" cars compared to your choice first.
ooo please do what other fun cars?m in my budget
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - rtj70
I'm not sure what your budget is or what you'd fine fun. But I'd not jump yet.

With the silly depreciation on some cars you might get some bargains. It's not a looker but what if the Mazda3 MPS 2.3 Turbo was in budget just for example. About 250PS or around that. Or even a 4x4 Mazda6 MPS Turbo.

My original thoughts were some of the SEAT performance diesels though :-) What's the real budget.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - nick
Civic type R is a good car. Do it or something like it. You can wait forever to get the 'best' time to buy, but your Astra will also lose money. Save yourself more months of automotive mogadon and get something fun. And please, not a diesel!

Edited by nick on 12/11/2008 at 18:26

Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - Group B
There is a buyers guide for the old shape Type R in the current (November) edition of Practical Performance Car magazine. I don't think its overflowing with information but probably worth a look at.

If a screaming VTEC is what floats your boat then go for it. Who was it who said, "Life is not a rehearsal"?
According to Top Gear, the old shape is better than the new one.
My budget is the right side of 6k

Also apparently round the Top Gear track it?s quicker then the new one.

Good point on my car will be depreciating in value too so best not hang around then ;-).

I found this on autotrader.

Civic type R

3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 95,000 miles, Metallic BLACK, 1 Owner. ABS, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Spoiler. Insurance Group:17, 1 OWNER, FULL HONDA SERVICE HISTORY, Mot'd, Facelift Model, Superb Condition Throughout, Genuine Example, Any Inspection/Trial Welcome. P/X @ Screen Price. £5,790

.*******
.*******
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - Pugugly
.******** swearfilter !
ok didnt swear :-s

is it too high mileage at 25k a year?
Ideal usage I would have thought, probably mainly long journeys. I'd rather a younger car with a high mileage than an older car for the same price with a lower mileage. Go and take a look in the classifieds on Pistonheads, over 270 TypeR's listed. Go and drool!

Edited by nick on 12/11/2008 at 19:48

Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - RichardW
They might be quick round a track, but don't come on song till 6,500 rpm or something stupid. Make sure you can live with this in everyday driving -I'd have thought on 'normal' roads that means driving everywhere in 2nd if you want to use the performance!
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - DP
I second RichardW's comments. The power delivery of these engines can be irritating after a while. These engines sound fantastic on their "power" cam, and take off like scalded a cat, but on the normal cam they feel very, very ordinary, as well as frustrating if you just want to go *now*.
Technically very impressive, superb on track, less so on the road, IMHO.

Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - gabble
do it.

I wanted a bmw for years (sad) which meant that I got bored with all of the cars I did have very quickly. I eventually got the bmw and kept it for a very long time.

gabble
With my budget in mind of 6k Any other suggestions to look into other than the type r? Leon Cupra is another i plan to have a blast in.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - Jase
Excellent car. Definitely my favourite of the cars I've owned. Well equipped and availablle in 180BHP or 210/225BHP if you can stretch to the Cupra R version. Cupra R would be my choice, but both have good torquey engines. Very unlike the Type-R though in delivery - the 20Vt is quite low revving, almpst diesel like really and runs out of puff before the TypeR is even coming on song.

Let us know what you think when you've driven both the Honda and the SEAT.
Will definatley let you know when I have driven both. At only 23 my driving experience is of course limited. Any other suggestions for me to at least take a look at than these two?
While not wanting to piddle on your parade, have you considered the insurance costs? For lots of good advice from owners of these types of car, ask on pistonheads, you can spend many happy hours browsing the classifieds too.
I think you're doing the right thing. In ten years we'll probably all be legislated into an electric eurobox and satellite-tracked on every journey, so enjoy it while you can.
Am I mad to do this? mk5 astra to mk7 civic type r - Paul G1pdc
TO QUOTE THE NIKE ADVERT "JUST DO IT"
when I was younger I had a fiesta rs turbo and then a mk1 MR2.
both did 0-60 in 7.9secs in very different ways..one you screamed to get the power, the other had a lazy turbo...
you gotta do it,,,before you get married have kids then have to buy a volvo estate...no not GO FASTER T5 OR T4 versions eaither....
Paul....
volvo v40 2litre....ha ha ha....
what about the mk3 mr2, they are softtops.....to an extent....but them while the weathers naff and save a few pounds...
yes the very first thing i considered was insurance costs. Got a quote and was very happy knew it would go up but £650 not bad fully comp. I do have 5 years no claims though :-)

Edited by Stuski on 13/11/2008 at 14:12

Am I mad to do this? Mk5 Astra to Mk7 Civic Type R - vtecfan
If I'd be able to pay for the gas the Type R uses (and it uses a lot, believe me, K20's mpg depend on your RPM - the higher RPM, the lower mpg) I'd buy a Type R right now. I'm a VTEC fan, all those 8 - 9k motors that just scream are my favourites. A Type R with a sensible exhaust can show how a good straight-4 engine should sound..

in other words - buy the Type R, right now!