04 1.9 d - inner tie rod ?? - carlwest
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

hello to you all, wondered if any of you could help.

i have an 04 doblo 1.9 jtd and whilst driving the other day (luckily very slowly) the track rod end popped out and i had 1 wheel facing straight and the other at a side angle,

anyways it needs a new inner tie rod as there is no thread left on it , i have bought the part but getting the old one off i really dont no how to do !

there is no room in there and also theres no flat sides to it to get a spanner or wrench on it ??

any ideas, is there a fiat tool i need !!

thanks in advance

Edited by Pugugly on 12/11/2008 at 21:13

04 1.9 d doblo inner tie rod ?? - carlwest
just want to make it a bit clearer as ive spoke to 2 fiat dealers who say there is no such part they say that there is only the steering rack that holds the left and right track rod ends, but i have bought the part from cafco its called the inner tie rod that threads into the rack neer where it comes through the bulk head
04 1.9 d doblo inner tie rod ?? - Steptoe
----------------------------------------------------------------------
anyways it needs a new inner tie rod as there is no thread left on
it i have bought the part but getting the old one off i really dont
no how to do !

I've done this job recently on my Volvo so I understand where you coming from.

In your case I'm concerned that you say there is no thread left; this suggests there might not be any thread in the steering rack to screw into either!

Alternatively the dealers could be right and the steering rack c/w inner tie rods is manufactured and supplied as a unit & the rod has parted company from the rack for some reason. I believe most modern vehicles no longer have replaceable inner rods, some don't even have replaceable track rod ends!

All in all, it might be best for you to get this job done at a garage, steering jobs are safety critical and remember the other side may be about to let go at any time.

04 1.9 d doblo inner tie rod ?? - Steptoe
Reread both your posts and now think you may mean that the thread inside the inner tie rod (where track rod end screws into) has failed rather than thread inside rack.

If so, try removing rack gaiter & turning wheel towards that side. Enough of the rack should be exposed so that you can grip it with a suitable spanner. Undo any locking devices/peening on the tierod & unscrew with a stilson wrench. Be sure you know how the new tierod is locked in position (the Volvo was belt & braces; the manual said locktite and then peen over)

Once again, if you are not an experienced DIYer, strongly suggest you get this job done at garage, or at very least get a manual for correct procedure
04 1.9 d doblo inner tie rod ?? - carlwest
thanks alot steptoe,

itll be hard getting to it,

it is the tie rod that joins under the gaiter like you say in youre second thread

tommorow i will as you suggested move the steering to see f i can get the rack in a better position because at the moment there is no room for stilsons and laying under neath the car i am pretty restriced aswell ,

i may try drilling the old rod and getting a heavey stainless rod to see if i can knock it round with a heavy hammer

cheers for the advice