Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Alby Back
Some of you may remember my indecision related dilemma ? Thing is, I/we have three cars at present and we only really need two. None of them are worth a great deal of money and so thankfully for now it's not a case of needing to sell one to raise cash but it still seems a bit daft having three cars.

Car 1- is a four year old Ford Ka mainly used by 'er indoors although I don't mind nicking it sometimes for town work. She commutes about 40 miles a day round trip and is quite fond of it but wouldn't mind a bigger car if that was the best solution.

Car 2 - is a 6 year old Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel Ghia X Estate which I have used for work for nearly 4 years. It has over 150k on it and my annual mileage exceeds 40k. Never had any problems with it and I really like it. It is however, worth buttons because of its mileage.

Car 3 - is a 2003 Vauxhall Signum 2.2 petrol Design which I bought in the Summer on a bit of a whim to replace the Mondeo because it looked like a bit of a bargain. Bought it with 33k on it and have already run it up to 45k. Remarkably economical as discussed elsewhere and I quite like it. Lovely, smooth as chocolate engine and fairly toy laden.

SWMBO wouldn't care which one she had. She just wants wheels. I have to admit that I prefer the Mondeo but it is getting long in the tooth. If I sell the Mondy, I'll get very little for it. If I sell the Ka, we end up with two large cars, if I sell the Signum I'll take a bit of a hit on my expenditure and I'll end up back where I started.......

So my questions are -

Should I just keep all three and have the advantage of a "spare" ( don't "need" the money at present )

Should I sell the Signum and accept that it was a rash purchase and just be happy with whatever it raises.

Or should I sell the Ka because it might be the easiest to sell ?

Or is it time to sell my beloved Mondy ?

Or am I living in Cloud Cuckoo Land by believing that any of them would sell at the moment ?

Any other suggestions or insults welcome.......

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/11/2008 at 21:00

Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - daveyjp
Advertise all three and see which one takes a bite.
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Pugugly
Bin the Ka before it starts rusting.
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - gordonbennet
Won't get much for the Signum on bald tyres either..;)

My tuppence, sell the Mondy (its done jolly well, but lucks got to change eventually), and the Ka, and treat your long suffering saint of a wife to something she fancies (i don't mean one of the Chippendales either) car wise...and buy some proper European tyres for the Signum..;)
Showed my wife this thread and she thinks you are a very nice man GB........

She also quite likes the Westfield motion ( youth revisited and all that ) but she feels that our 8 year old son might object to being bungeed on to the spare wheel on any kind of regular basis unfortunately....
she feels that our 8 year old son might object to being bungeed on to
the spare wheel on any kind of regular basis unfortunately....

Try to think back many years, meeaow.;), to when you were 8, the kudos gained amongst your peers if you were lucky enough to have parents eccentric enough to have a 2 seater flying machine, he'd be like a puppy with 2 tails...

Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - oldnotbold
The Signum. Sell it and stash the cash for the day the Mondy spills its guts on the motorway. It might last another couple of years, but every day from now is bonus territory.
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - gmac
I'd stick.
You can guarantee the day after you sell either the Ka or Signum, the Mondeo will need a few days with its wheels in the air.
The Signum may have been a rash purchase but you enjoy it and I do not think it will be an easy seller.
Don't even think about the Ka. Sell that and something goes wrong with the replacement/substitute and it'll be all your fault.
The Mondeo, being realistic, has maybe a couple of years left in it at 40k motorway miles per year. Problem is the Ka may need replacing about the same time. That might be a nice problem to have if prices keep going the way they are.
Well observed gmac.
Thanks for the comments so far guys. The solution now clearer than ever......or not....

;-)

Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Avant
I'd say keep all 3, if you don't mind paying VED, insurance etc. until the Mondeo needs a repair which costs more than it's worth - then sell it for spares or to some mechanic who will repair it and give it a good home.

Meanwhile as you say you have a spare if one of them won't start on a damp winter morning. From the mileage you do I assume that you'd lose revenue if you were without a car even for a day.

Kas are great even on long journeys, much less stressed at motorway speeds than a lot of small cars, even the Honda Jazz. If SWMBO likes it I'd say she should keep it.

Edit - I didn't see gmac's post but clearly great minds think alike....

Edited by Avant on 11/11/2008 at 21:28

Phew, thanks Avant, your post at least concurs with one of the former ones. Points advantage to keeping all three so far....(just)

;-)

Edit - beat me to it Avant, sorry for repetition.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/11/2008 at 21:32

Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Manatee
Get under the Ka with some waxoyl. If you can get the plugs out, do so, put some copper grease on the threads and put them back.

Use the Mondeo and the Signum interchangeably, maybe putting a few more miles on the Mondeo while its still hale, and fewer on the Signum. Its time will come.

None is worth very much (what is?) so the cost of keeping three is not much more than the extra VED and insurance, and you'll have a back up. Presumably a car is essential to your work so you would have to hire if your only car was off the road.

Just don't buy any more for now.

Edit - didn't see Avant's post, but great minds...

Edited by Manatee on 11/11/2008 at 21:38

Just don't buy any more for now.

I promise !!

;-)
Flog the Mondeo and the Ka and buy her something like a.........er......umm......oooh ! oh a Westfield.
Westfield.

Now you're talking........

;-)
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Avant
Try not to read the current 'retirement toy' post, Humph. We also have 3 cars between two of us, and - even worse - it was deliberate!
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Screwloose

Selling conditions at the mo are so bad that it's pointless trying to sell anything but the Ka. Just drive the Mondeo until something terminal happens and then revert to the Signum.

Replace the Ka at your leisure - there will be a bargain along sometime.
Suspect I probably agree with you Screwloose.
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Rattle
What condition is the Ka in? Has the front crossmember started to go? If it has hints of rust sell it now while you can they are easy to sell as girls always want them, they don't care if it has a 3" hole in the floor.

If its in good knick keep it, they are very simple cars which are brilliant as spares.
All three are in remarkably good condition relative to their ages and mileage. That is sort of the crux of the dilemma. They all have things to commend them. Hmm Z3 eh.....
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - BobbyG
Remember when the answer to every thread was "Mondeo tdci" !!

I don't think thats the case here - just keep all 3 and wait till the decision is made for you!
Probably right Bobby. I was within a stone's throw of you today by the way. In the Signum. 500 odd miles today. Must get a job, a proper job, one with an office and a lithe secretary type to bring me coffee......
How close was the stone?
M74 Nth - then turned right along M8 to Livingstonish. Well you know, came off just Nth of Hamilton to cut the corner and back the same way later.
You were closer than you think then!
Lanarkshire is my roots, just off the next junction on the m8!
Were you visiting the new shopping cnetre in Livingston, the one that took several years to build and they have now named it ...... "The Centre" !
Mind you, at least they spelt it correctly! hmm
with an office and a lithe secretary type to bring me coffee......

Surely by this point the Lady B is no longer reading.....;)
I've tried that office melarcy - coffee with semi skimmed, a secretary with personal problems and my PA who I'm sure, Kato like, is planning my demise. He wants a new car and looked at a Mondeo - says something about him, not sure what though.
says something about him not sure what though.

From the little information I have, I would surmise, a put upon man without whom chaos and rot would.................. Automotively, a quiet man but of impeccable taste......

;-)
OK - Soooo... The advice so far is -

Sell the Ka
Sell the Mondeo
Sell the Signum
Keep all three
Sell the Ka and the Mondeo
Buy a Westfield ( and some bungees )

Right .....well.....I'll.......um........

:-(
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Mapmaker
Well, the marginal cost of keeping your two large cars is the insurance and RFL and MOT, plus the opportunity cost of the cash. Servicing is not a marginal cost, because at your sorts of mileages even at 20k each, the cars are serviced more than once a year anyway.

So, like wot Avant sez. If your car won't start one morning, you lose money. If what you would lose by your car not starting is greater than I guess £500 - the insurance (£300) and tax (£200) [oppportunity cost, interest at 2% net on £750 = nil] - then you should always run three cars. In any event, the cars are at the garage 5 days a year anyway, so you do need a spare somewhere; also you don't want to be looking for a new car at a moment's notice when somebody drives into you.

Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Mapmaker
How much would you accept for each motor?
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - Sofa Spud
Sell the Signum, if you can! It will only go down in value, through both normal depreciation AND plunging secondhand car market. As long as the other two cars are reliable, hang on to them and hope that prices are much lower when you need to replace them.
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - movilogo
Sell both Ka & Mondeo and buy a new(ish) Hyundai i10 or something similar.

Advantages:

One big + one small car
One is within warranty
You have Signum, which you really like - since it is newest, if you sell, depreciation will be hardest
You got rid of high mileage car

How much would you accept for each motor?

That's kind of the problem at the moment isn't it ? You could consult Parkers etc till the cows come home and they are all only worth what someone would pay on the day. You are right about the cost of being even temporarily without transport. The nature of my business is that sometimes I earn nothing for weeks or even months on end and then have days when I strike pay dirt. The cost of cancelling such a meeting could potentially run into thousands one day but equally cost nothing another. Given the low value of all the cars I just keep coming back to hanging on to them. Or not....

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 12/11/2008 at 13:14

I know buy a Mondeo TDCI - oh you already did that :-(
Which one for the chop ? ( or not...) - StevieC
Eay peasy Humph, sell all 3 put SWMBO on bus and buy a Porsche! there u go sorted!
That does have some merit as an alternative Stevie but the subsequent neutering without anaesthetic concerns me a bit......
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh good point Humph, they just dont understand us do they!
Look what you've started...after reading this and a couple of other threads on here got me thinking about the great white elephant that is the Volvo S80 V8.
Cheapest list is £37k, available as a year old example with 10 to 15k on the clock for less than £16k for a 4.4 V8 4wd Q car with two years manufacturers warranty left to run.
Wait another couple of months gmac and they will be paying you to take it away!
You're right Stevie though I'd want maximum manufacturers warranty/backup for peace of mind with that 4wd system.
I have just tried to explain to my wife that one of my imaginary friends has come up with the solution and that it involves a 4.4 litre V8 4x4. So far it's not working.......

Drop the 4x4 thing.
Your good lady now has the picture of a LR Defender in her head.
Tell her it's a swoopy four door saloon with a big boot.
Second thoughts with your mileage forget it.
20mpg if you're lucky and 40k miles a year that'll be about about £9k a year (at present levels) in fuel thank you very much.

Edited by gmac on 12/11/2008 at 20:55

Yes that had passed through my mind too. GB'll be along shortly to say it makes sense if you gas convert mind.

No, I just have to make a decision. Daft thing is I make decisions every day which involve far greater sums of my own and other peoples money but this one has me stumped.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 12/11/2008 at 21:01

That Volvo make a lot of sense if you coverted to gas.;))

Do the lottery this week, with predictions like that you're a sure winner....
Oh heck stop it you lot !

This was supposed to be about taking +/- a couple of grand off the drive and into the holiday/rainy day/beer/VAT/Income tax...... fund

Now I'm on Autoblinkintrader looking at XC70 Volvo estates at £13k + and thinking they look alright.....

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 12/11/2008 at 21:33