Brake Fail STOP warning - Richard Stanton
There is a "STOP Brake Fail" warning that keeps appearing intermittently during driving on my Passat Estate 1.9TDi. Of course the brakes are working and I would like know what should be done. Interestingly, it especially keeps coming on when I turn right while the car is in motion. Anyone with a suggestion?

Moved over from Discussion

Edited by Pugugly on 11/11/2008 at 18:46

Brake Fail STOP warning - Rattle
Have you checked your brake fluid?
Brake Fail STOP warning - b308
I suspect that the manual will say for you to go to a dealer, do not pass go, and do not collect £200... except for the bill you will get from them!

Seriously, you need to go to a garage that can plug a computer into your car and "read" the fault code and that will tell you what it is... as its brakes, though, I'd get it done sooner rather than later (unless still under warranty most dealers can do it btw!).

Edited by b308 on 11/11/2008 at 16:14

Yes, a visit to the garage is a must. Thanks a lot.
Brake Fail STOP warning - mjm
Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir under the bonnet. It may be as simple as the level falling due to normal brake pad wear. The layout of the float doing the level sensing may be making it more sensative to right hand bends. It may also be a leak from somewhere. It is better to find out for certain with the car stopped. :)
Yes, I'd better take it to the garage. Thanks for your comments. Appreciate it!
Brake Fail STOP warning - alanwc
Had the exact same come thing come up on my passat and i topped up my brake fluid and was all ok
Brake Fail STOP warning - Peter D
If this was a 2002/03 then there were many claims against a cracked hydraulic header tank and the subsequent loss of fluid. Regards Peter
Brake Fail STOP warning - Hamsafar
It's usually just a stupid VW way of saying "Check Brake Fluid". Especially if it happens on corners etc...