2007 1.2 poor running - stevekalos
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have a problem with the egr valve and for the engine management light not to illuminate.The Kalos i own is running very poorly and jumps and stutters at low speed and revs.It has been back to the dealer for various reasons and nobody at the garage seems to be able to fix the thing.The dealer has changed the eccelerator body just a week ago but it hasnt made any difference.A good mechanic friend of mine seems to think it is the egr but the garage say the management light should come on . Please help .
Desperate Kalos owner.
2007 1.2 poor running - polar

Dear Stevekalos

Facing a similar problem here, 2012. Someone i know bought a Kalos Chevrolet 2008 model, same problems, stalling, poor running at low speeds (low rpm), the accelerator activates differently to the pedal position.

An EGR might be functionning OK in electrical terms (no alarm) yet have a leak or quite a few. The valve itself is mechanical passing exhaust gas through a metal body. either the valve metal surfaces or the metal gasket may leak causing faulty mixture or surging without engine management alarms. Here on this car we dismounted the EGR, checked, cleaned replaced although strictly speaking the gasket should be new each occasion the EGR is taken off because it compresses to make an airtight joint. We also put a blanking plate temporarily so that the EGR was out of circuit/no leak possible - result, still poor running. A temporary solution here is to disconnect the MAP (manifold air pressure sensor) which causes the computer to abandon subtle engine control and use basic data to use only the throttle position to choose ignition and mixture. Far less than good because there may be failures to control emissions, yet at least, for the moment, like that the engine runs more smoothly.

This car here with MAP connected still runs very poorly at low speeds, stalling too, no alarms. I hope to learn something from your experience to be able to get along here. Was your Kalos difficulty ever resolved? What were done to improve it?

yours sincerely Polar