2005 2.0TDI Oil Pressure Warning Light - pdc {P}
Last Thursday I was driving home when the MFD alerted me to stop, and indicated that there was a problem with the Oil Pressure on my diesel engined Passat. Having ignored such warnings in years gone by, and having learned my lesson, I stopped straight away.

I checked the oil level, as the handbook suggested, and it was fine. The handbook advised that if that was the case, I should seek professional assistance. I called the RAC and they recovered the car back home, as it was 11pm, and no garage was open.

A friends son, who is a mechanic with Honda, popped over the next day and plugged his diagnostic kit in to the car. The RAC guy and my friend's son both thought that maybe there was a sensor fault or an oil pump fault, but neither of these were reported. The only fault reported was "175057/P0673 Cylinder 3 glow plug circuit - Q12".

I've Googled that error code and as it suggests, it's simply a dodgy glow plug.

I'm finding it very hard to get a tow to the local VW garage which is just 2.7 miles away and I'm wondering if anyone can shed any more info on what could be the cause of these symptoms, and whether it would be ok to drive to the dealership. Friends son suggested it would be OK to do so, but I am worried I will damage the engine.

The warning doesn't come on straight away, and only shows when I move the car.

Almost all that I've read about the oil pressure warning online, following a Google search, suggest that it might be a simple case of needing an oil change. Indeed, the Service in xxx miles indicator had been showing since the start of last week, and finally turned to SERVICE NOW just 200 or so miles before the STOP OIL PRESSURE warning showed.

I guess what I'm asking is that if the pressure sensor was faulty or if the oil pump had failed, would that have been reported by the diagnostic tools?
2005 2.0TDI Oil Pressure Warning Light - Screwloose
pdc

Just to establish the basics; does the handbook confirm that the light showing is definitely for the oil pressure - not the oil level? [Even though it's not low.]

In answer to your direct question; no, the engine ECU would not necessarily notice an oil pressure fault - attaching an oil pressure test kit would have been preferable. Unless the pressure has being tested OK; do not drive it.

What's the time/miles from the last service and what oil was used?
2005 2.0TDI Oil Pressure Warning Light - pdc {P}
Well the RAC did a follow on tow for me, and it was left with VW last night. Turns out there is a small leak from a pipe and also the "rocker cover" (??)

So nothing too major.

Still, as the car has done 76k in 3 years, I think I'll be getting rid, as this is probably the first of many problems to come.