Unusual cameras help please - colynn
New camera's installed last week in Theobald Street, Borehamwood/Radlett, Herts. help please as I would like to know the purpose.

The road already has 4 camera's, 2 at the each end of the road, 1-2 miles apart. GATSO rear facing on a speed limit of 40MPH. new camera's have just been installed about 10 yards past each GATSO on a new grey pole. These camera's are abou tthe size of a shoe box, horizantally placed with a lens on the small end. They are placed as I say about 10 yards past each GATSO so making them hidden by the speed camera.

The road has no turnings and only about 6 houses between the 2 sets.

Another camera (Identical) has also been installed hidden by the GATSO speed camera in Allen lane, Borehamwood about 2 miles away.

I thought at first they may be Average Speed, but they do not match the ones on the M1.

ANPR ? but then why would you need 2 pointing the same way about 1-2 miles apart on a road with no turn off, as you have to go past both.

ideas please

Colin

Edited by Pugugly on 03/11/2008 at 18:05

unusual cameras help please - NorfolkDriver
Average speed cameras?

unusual cameras help please - Armitage Shanks {p}
Go to Google Images for specs cameras - they are VERY distinctive. What you describe sounds like cameras which are ANPR but belong to organisations which measure traffic flow and they are not for law enforcement of any kind. Is the grey pole actually a pole or a trellis mast?
unusual cameras help please - colynn
I had already checked on that site, but the camera does not match any. Only 1 camera per pole.

I had already thought of ANPR, but why would you put 2 ANPR camera's on the same stretch of road, 1-2 miles apart. On a road with no side roads, junctions etc between them. There is also only about 6 houses between them as well.

If traffic flow, the same applies as you cannot turn off between the cameras and therefore why have 2 for the road, as if you go through 1 you must go through the next one.
unusual cameras help please - SlidingPillar
A4147 between St Albans and Hemel Hempstead also has them. I'll admit to having wondered what they are, but they can't be specs or ANPR as the view of the car is to the side of it really.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 03/11/2008 at 18:50

unusual cameras help please - FP
The ones SP is referring to seem to be a "supplementary" device just beyond the ordinary speed camera; in fact they were installed some time after the ordinary ones. I've always assumed, as they point downwards at a steep angle, and somewhat to the side, that they are extra flashlights aimed at number plates and operating in conjunction with the actual speed camera. There are some other examples of this "tandem" arrangement in the area.
unusual cameras help please - pmh
The same cameras have been installed in Darkes Lane ,Potters Bar (also part of Hertsmere).

Similar location about 10m 'beyond' the Gatso, angled quite steeply downwards towards the road markings.

pmh
unusual cameras help please - Armitage Shanks {p}
There is more than one traffic flow monitoring company and they might use their own cameras, although I thought they pooled their resources, in the same way as phone companies share masts.