04 2.0 HDI regen cycle query - 59peejay
Hi,my first post and thanks for reading.I have just got a 54 plate 2.0l with 55k mls,i have read about and understand the theory behind the regen cycle but have read conflicting views on what conditions have to be met for it to happen i.e.engine revs,gear and how long to keep it steady.what triggers the cycle and can you tell it is happening when you are driving?also can you top up the eolys additive before it gets down to the low level warning stage?Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 01/11/2008 at 23:24

04 2.0 HDI regen cycle query - Screwloose

The exact parameters are a movable feast; software updates may well have altered the original "6 continuous minutes over 50" requirement.

Once the driving speed/time requirements are met and the measured FAP loading indicates a re-gen - the ECU turns on the HRW, the radiator fans and the heated mirrors to add extra load; then post-injection pulses add unburnt diesel to the already hot FAP and the horizontal chimney fire begins. The FAP actually glows.

Apart from the light in the heated mirror switch coming on, there's only a slight change in engine note to show it's happening. It'll take around 20 minutes to finish the cycle.

Yes; you can top up the Eolys, but it needs top-notch equipment to tell the counter in the additive ECU that you've done it. The FAP eventualy clogs with inert residue and need replacing anyway, so it's best to have the whole process sorted at one go. Usually; FAP, 3ltrs Eolys, pressure sensor, cap sensor/magnets - and often a new additive ECU too if it won't reset.
04 2.0 HDI regen cycle query - Armitage Shanks {p}
Screwloose - thanks to your posts here I have some understanding of how the FAP on my Peugeot works, and no thanks to the handbook I might add!

I often drive home slowly, by nature of it being dark and poor B roads. When I switch off and lock up the cooling fans sometimes roar away for up to 10 minutes, probably to the annoyance of my sleeping neighbours. Is this because a re-gen cycle has started while I was driving, and needs to finish? I can't see any useful pupose being achieved if the engine and and car electrics are off and I am in bed trying to sleep
04 2.0 HDI regen cycle query - gordonbennet
I'll be interested in the reply to this one AS as even new unregistered Pugs sometimes do this when i've only driven one 50 cold yards and put it on the transporter.
04 2.0 HDI regen cycle query - Armitage Shanks {p}
Quite so GB! I collected mine in June 2004 and when I got it home the first thing was that the fans started roaring when I parked. As my next trip was to leave it parked at Stansted for a week I didn't want a flat battery and rang the selling agent for help. They rang me back and told me it was 'normal'. It has done it ever since and I too await the comments of Screwloose!
04 2.0 HDI regen cycle query - Screwloose
AS

Theoretically.... it shouldn't do that. However; re-gen parameters are now verging on the desperate [I've been told of 2 mins over 30 from both Vaux and VW.]

The fan run-on is a recent characteristic of exclusively DPF-equipped cars; so I'd think that it has indeed started the procedure and the fan stays on to try and cool the FAP to prevent the Zafira "panic bail-out at the lights" syndrome.

The only other explanation is that one of the exhaust temp sensors is flagging an over hot exhaust. Slow driving conditions/unloading may make that plausible - even without a re-gen.