M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - CQ
One of my empoyees has just found out that the specs. cameras at the Warwick junction
of the M40 covering a 50mph limit work, he's had a n.i.p. for 57 mph.
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - OldSock
Is there more? Do tell...
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
Best to assume they always work. No way of knowing if they do or don't until the NIP arrives. Think of the money that could be saved by putting up loads of dummy cameras and signs saying "Average Speed Check". Everyone would comply, no costs of running the system, and no income from fines - AAAH - that's why it will never happen!
Sorry Oldsock, just a boring fact,although the concencious of opinion among my staff was that these things were set to clock you at 20mph above the limit, obviously not.
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - Steve Pearce
Aren't opinions great, shame they don't consitute a defence. Always assume 10%+2MPH with any camera system (ACPO guideline for prosecution threshold).
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - Brian Tryzers
Odds are, though, that - as has often been mentioned here - a true 57 would have been showing as something over 60 on the dial. Worth bearing in mind, though - the dear old Longbridge Oisland is not far from me.
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - GJD
Odds are though that - as has often been mentioned here - a true 57
would have been showing as something over 60 on the dial.

I know that's often mentioned, but is it really people's experience? At a GPS indicated 70, one of my cars reads 72 on the speedo, and the other barely over 70 at all on the speedo. The speedos err on the side of overreading, but not by as much as several mph. Am I unusual?
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - jbif
The speedos err on the side of overreading, but not by as much as several mph. Am I unusual?

No. Mine are pretty accurate too, maybe overreading by a tiny fraction.

Same experience, at (GPS) 70 my digital speedo will be 71 or 72.
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - jbif
... opinion among my staff was that these things were set to clock you at 20mph above the limit

! amazing !

M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - borasport20
>> ... opinion among my staff was that these things were set to clock you
at 20mph above the limit
! amazing !

Not really - they are probably the same people who think you can park on double yellows if they are covered in leaves, policeman can't do you if they aren't wearing their helmets and you don't need insurance as long as you keep your fingers crossed

Edited by borasport20 on 31/10/2008 at 11:50

I'm amazed as well when they're sure they didn't go in a bus lane, only pulled up on double yellows for a minute, didn't stop on a yellow box junction, didn't realise you need to check the oil, can't be bothered to clean their car, never had an accident that was their fault etc. The pleasures of running a fleet.
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - DP
There's also an unmarked silver 57 reg BMW 3-series with very nondescript steel(?) wheels patrolling this area. I saw it yesterday on the hard shoulder near J14 with the blues going, and you really wouldn't look twice at it. Someone certainly had failed to notice until it was too late.

Cheers
DP
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - Nickdm
Police in the UAE announced a clampdown on drivers speeding through the roadworks on the Dubai-Hatta road last week. The limit is 80km/h. They have installed cameras and insist - in the national newspaper - that there will be no mercy and that the camera will be triggered at 101km/h or more....

So guess what the de facto speed limit on that stretch of road is ;-)
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - jim holland
I've never been sure if these cameras work or not or what the leeway is but having got as high as 9 points I don't take any chances now
But what baffled me was the fact that I seemed to be the only one going through the J28 to J27 M25 at the 70. Most were not just marginally over but way over.
But then I was told that at night they can't identify the driver. Somehow that doesn't ring true. But is it?
M40 J.15 Specs. cameras - mfarrow
The worst case of mis-read speed signs at the moment is on the M42 approaching the M6 junctions.

Speed limit signs for 50mph clearly state under them "3/4 mile on M6". So why does some idiot in the outside lane brake to 50 as soon as he sees them?
But then I was told that at night they can't identify the driver. Somehow that
doesn't ring true. But is it?

They don't have to identify the driver, they just need to identify the vehicle and they are quite capable of doing that. It is the registered keeper who is supposed to identify the driver...