04 1.8 Cold Car! - Adam {P}
Good afternoon everyone.

Bit of a quick one - I don't want to look on the down side but I think the car's deciding to torment me again. Be careful with your answers as they may determine whether I drive it into a tree on the way home.

Usually, my temperature gauge will jump up to just before the middle pretty quickly; before I even got onto the motorway 2 miles from my house. Sitting in traffic would see the needle rise to just after halfway whereupon the fans would cut in and cool it all down. No problem.

Over the last week though, the gauge hasn't really moved much. Work is around 35 miles from my house and I noticed halfway into the journey one morning last week that the gauge had only moved slightly (looks to be around 60 degrees). I didn't think too much of it (thought it was better to be too cold than too hot!) and carried on. Saturday morning, I was on my way to work and thought I'd test it. Had a clear run all the way to work at high speed and no change. So I sat in the car for a few minutes and the gauge did get to just under normal operating temperature.

What gives? My first thought was dodgy gauge (I shan't be fixing it if it is) but the fact that it does move to normal operating temp if coerced, well that's thrown me.

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Adam
04 1.8 Cold Car! - Number_Cruncher
You'll be needing a new thermostat.
04 1.8 Cold Car! - cheddar
Seconded.
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies!

What would be the implications for not replacing it? Am I looking at a big cost?

Adam
04 1.8 Cold Car! - piston power
This stat is stuck open and flowing through not allowing to warm up correctly, is your heater a little cooler?

Big cost? no mate try a good local indie.
Phew! I'll run it in next week. Heat doesn't seem noticably cooler though (although I rarely have it on)

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Adam
04 1.8 Cold Car! - cheddar
Could use a bit more fuel if not getting up to temp.

Chances are the part will be around a tenner and you could fit it yourself in 30 mins, that being said I am not sure where it is situated on this engine.
>>where it is situated on this engine.

Yes, what's the engine code?

04 1.8 Cold Car! - Dynamic Dave
My guess is that it will be the Z18XE
If it's either X18XE or X18XEL, it's really easy - the thermostat is on the side of the cylinder head, rather than being behind the belt.

04 1.8 Cold Car! - topbloke
could also be that the ambient temp is now lower and given that they run a large rad on these may be worth blocking of half the rad (bit old school i know !) see what happens better than putting new stat in and not makeing any difference then chasing after a fault that don't exsist
04 1.8 Cold Car! - piston power
There maybe two options of thermostat i go for the summer stat they just open a different temperatures.