Car Ventilation - oldgeezer
Am I the only one with this problem ??

I'm looking for a normal 5 door hatchback. But I want one with a heating system which enables me to have nice warm air on my feet and - AT THE SAME TIME - cool air at face level.

It doesn't seem that long ago that all ventilation systems could do this for you, but I can't find anything available now. That is except a BMW, 3 series and bigger; the 1 series can't do it.

Most staff in sale-rooms look at me as if I'm really eccentric (maybe I am) when I ask for this heating option and it has even been suggested that I drive with an open window. But that's uneconomical, draughty, noisy - altogether a step backwards.

It's no wonder that a number of drivers seem to doze off on long boring motorway trips. Fresh air in the face could help to prevent this.

Anyway, enough ranting. Anyone any suggestions - apart from buying a car made 10 to 20 years ago ??
Car Ventilation - bbroomlea{P}
Cant really help you other than to say that your not the only one that likes this arrangement. My wifes Rover 200 gives cold air to face and warm air to feet and is really refreshing. In contrast the climate control in my Audi just feels stuffy in the winter when you need heat.
Car Ventilation - i m j
Oldgeezer

I was just thinking about this issue this-morning as I was driving a Megane with the heater full on directed to my feet to try and thaw them out, and the cabin becoming increasingly stuffy. It seriously annoys me at times.

I cut out a list HJ published in his column many years ago of cars that had the ability to provide cooler air at face level but have not seen any recent update. In the 70's I always drove around with a window open but I don't consider it an option now with the noise from the higher motorway speeds.

Maybe we should start a campaign to bring back fresh air vents!
Car Ventilation - Hamsafar
The only car I ever had with this was a 1986 BME 5er
Stratified climate they called it in the Owner's book.
Car Ventilation - McP
Both my old R reg Primera and the current X reg one had/have this.

Probably not what you are looking for though!
Car Ventilation - doctorchris
Yesterday I went to a marvellous classic car show in Ryhope, Sunderland.
I was thinking how sensible the arrangement on some of the older cars was, where the windscreen would pivot and allow cooling air in at face level.
Car Ventilation - Pugugly
Vauxhall Cavaliers had it - near perfect ventilation in that basic rep-mobile (damnit)
Car Ventilation - ifithelps
Ford's aeroflow system as fitted to the Cortina was one of the best.

Opening three-quarter lights did the job, too.

They were deemed to be a security risk in the days before deadlocks.
Car Ventilation - cheddar
Vauxhall Cavaliers had it - near perfect ventilation in that basic rep-mobile (damnit)

Agreed, you could have cool air from the middle vents and warm to the screen, from the side vents and on your feet.
Car Ventilation - L'escargot
If you switched the heater fan on in a Vauxhall Ventora the air used to be sucked into the face vents!

Edited by L'escargot on 28/10/2008 at 09:32

Car Ventilation - Happy Blue!
Can't do what the OP wants now. Car ventilation systems have changed. The best was the old Cortina and the Mk2 Golf could do this I think?

Best way to have a comfortable car is to have climate control. It usually works.
Car Ventilation - Super-Makinon
The new Corsas have something described as "temperature stratification" in the manual. I believe they have the ability to direct warm air to the footwell and side vents, whilst cool air comes from the centre column vents. I would assume this feature would be present on all new Vauhalls if it is on the Corsa.
Car Ventilation - yorkiebar
Rover (80's and 90's) were by far the best for temperature/ventialtion control, without exception.

Think some Honda still have same system; maybe worth a look?
Car Ventilation - cheddar
>>Rover (80's and 90's)>>

I had a '90 Montego, it had some great features, elec s/r was novel then and the wiper system remains unsurpassed however the Cav ventilation system was better.