1998 2.0 Central Locking problem - vwcamper
Hi having some issues with central locking on a 1998 Mondeo h/back...this is the problem...

remote central operates drivers door only

key in lock operate drivers door and rear drivers door

manual operating of handle inside car opens/locks all doors

any ideas?

also does this car have an alarm?

Edited by Webmaster on 25/10/2008 at 14:33

1998 2.0 Central Locking problem - Jagcats
Hi, I'm new to this site, but own a 99 Mondeo and have had a similar problem myself. The best way of resolving issues with Mondeo Central Locking is firstly to determine wether it's the remote or the Central Locking unit. Basically check the battery in the remote and replace if necessary. If the remote battery is good and the system partly works then the cure that I use is to simply disconnect the battery and leave it for 30 seconds or so and then reconnect it. If you have a KEYCODE radio, then this will lose it's code, so ensure you have the correct code. If you dont have the code then the best way is to disconnect the Central Locking control unit which is located behind the drivers side lower dash liner. It has 2 multi-way plugs which can be a little difficult to remove until you locate the release catch moulded into the plug. Disconnect it and leave it for 30 seconds (which allows the circuit power to discharge) reconnect and all will be restored to factory settings. The factory settings are as follows; Press lock button once to single lock the doors, press again to double lock and turn on the alarm/immobiliser. Press unlock once to unlock the drivers door only & turn off the immobiliser, press again to unlock the remaining doors. There is a way to make the unit unlock all the doors with a single press, but I have never been able to make this work.

Hope this helps all who suffer from this problem.