Amazing deals to be had ??? - Pendlebury
I was looking at the Subaru web site recently and noticed an advert for the Forester 2 turbo. It does not say how much you can get off but if you visit your dealer they are offering thousands off as a discount.
Clearly the C02 figures put it into orbit in terms of VED but it may be worth a look if the discount is big enough to offset this.
My question is, before I go to the dealer has anyone got any idea what thousands off would actually mean.
I am assured by my MP that a statement on the retrospective tax rip off may be re-visited in the pre-budget statement. This government have obviously messed up badly and need to do something to help people and so the VED increase may not be that bad after all - but of course any further statement could still be too late for buying a car now.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - oilrag
I suspect the way things are going, that cars like this will be worthless by the time they are 5 years old.. And that not only are the current VED rates just the start, but that they are quietly supported by people who want big gas guzzlers off the road, to the benefit of the environment.

Good luck with your decision anyway ;)

Edited by oilrag on 25/10/2008 at 12:17

Amazing deals to be had ??? - Wilco {P}
Check which version they're selling - a facelifted car came out earlier this year I think, these may be the previous model.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - Pendlebury
I think that is good advice from both oilrag and wilco.
If I decide to have a look I'll let you know.
As you say oilrag - could be a bargain now but not much to show in a few years time.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - nick
Anything larger than the smallest buzzbox is going to shed loads of value over a few years. And the buzzbox will be worthless as it'll be worn out. 'You pays your money and you takes your chance.'

Edited by nick on 25/10/2008 at 15:14

Amazing deals to be had ??? - qxman {p}
The NEW Forester turbo is band F. The old one (still some in stock at dealers) is band G.

I wouldn't get overly concerned about the VED, unless you do a very small mileage it will be fuel consumption that'll be the major issue - they are very heavy on fuel. These are £20k+ when brand new, but heavily discounted. Allbrandsnew were selling brand new EU-import Forester turbo's for about £15k not so long back (I've dealt with them and found them very good).

One of the major issues with buying a Subaru is that the brand seems to be dying on its feet in the UK. The new Impreza should be the bread and butter of the brand, but it doesn't look 'right' (even by the standards of previous Imprezas) and just doesn't seem to be selling at all.
My local dealer stopped selling new Subarus at the end of July and another dealer not far away has closed down. The next nearest dealer is always dead quiet and he's had the same used stock since the start of the year.
On another forum I read of a rumour that Subaru of Japan may take over the brand in the UK, since the current importer doesn't seem to be doing a great job.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - Lud
Andrew English tests the supercharged lightweight Chevrolet Corvette in today's Telegraph. It's obviously a bargain at just over £100,000 being docile and usable (and probably very reliable) although only available in lhd, which I don't mind particularly.

The real point though is that it's a true economy car able to return 20mpg and over 200mph (although not at the same time I suppose).

If I wasn't a pauper I'd have one like a shot. You can stuff overpriced barely-driveable Lamborghinis and Ferraris. The Corvette is a car, not a 'treasured possession' or artwork exposed to the elements.

Edited by Lud on 25/10/2008 at 16:50

Amazing deals to be had ??? - Lygonos
These are the last of the old-model Forester 2.5XT. Brand new, unregistered cars.

There will be no petrol-turbo new model Forester in the UK (does exist in markets not CO2 obsessed).

If you check a few dealers you will find these cars for as little as £14,500 (metallic paint, manual g-box, cruise/climate, 6-disc in-dash changer) - about £8k off list : www.subaru.co.uk/Subaru_co_uk/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=...4

I bought one 7 weeks ago from the Carlisle dealer, and have 2000 lovely miles in it since. I don't drive like Miss Daisy and have averaged 27mpg mixed (34mpg at 65mph on cruise). Not great, but this is faster than an entry Porsche Cayman to 60 (5.7 secs).

Downsides: the stereo is not amazing (7 speakers, but the 2 in the back and 1 in boot are weak); the interior it is more Focus size, than Mondeo size (think Impreza on stilts, not Legacy); the boot-floor is fairly high as the tools and full-size spare (how rare is that these days!) sit beneath it; 25-30mpg; £400/yr VED.

Upsides: Impreza turbo performance without being raced by every Corsa-chav due to understated styling; great ground clearance; permanent 4WD; hill-holder clutch (why don't all manual cars have this simple device?); really does drive like a well sorted car rather than a bigger 4x4 (SWMBO has a CRV - worlds apart).

Mid-30s driver with a couple of SP30s : under £250 fully comp (full NCD).

In my mind, the extra £200 a year VED over a less meaty car is hugely outweighed by the £8k I just saved over list, even if the car lives for 200k miles and 10 years (which they seem to do with monotonous regularity - check subaruforester.org for owners' forums.

Unbeatable metal/performance per pound? You bet your pink fluffy dice.

The most sensible car purchase you can make? Don't be daft ;-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2008 at 21:35

Amazing deals to be had ??? - boxsterboy
Anything larger than the smallest buzzbox is going to shed loads of value over a
few years.

I'm not sure about that. Remember there are a lot of families who need transport out there. Sure, they don't need gass-guzzling SUVs, but they need more than a buzz-box. There will always be a certain level of demand for large cars, so long as they are not unduly profligate.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - vtecfan
IMHO Foresters are great cars. Tho the fuel consumption is huge, they still have a lot of upsides - 0-60 takes a glimpse of eye, it's good enough to get off road, sounds great also (very similiar to a Impreza WRX, tho a bit more quiet) and has permanent 4x4 which is good in many situations.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - madf
A Forester is a vehicle with lots of luxury features: which are strictly not needed.
4x4 etc..

When times get hard: like the 1970s... no-one will want these features as they add cost..

When the choice is car: vs mortagge and food, there is NO choice.

And believe me we are going there..
Amazing deals to be had ??? - andyfr
A Forester is a vehicle with lots of luxury features: which are strictly not needed.
4x4 etc..

4x4 isn't a luxury where we live.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - MVP
We have a Forester II 2.0 non-turbo

I have to say, after 5.5 years it still looks and drives like new - a fantastic piece of quality engineering.
The only thing apart from service work that we have had to pay for was a wiper blade.

I can see why they don't sell many, I reckon ours will last another 10 years + no problem

Buy one like you'd buy a house, something to keep and enjoy, rather than to chop-in after a couple of years, and I'm sure you'll have great service and enjoyment from it

MVP
Amazing deals to be had ??? - MVP
Blimey

just seen 2.5xts for sale at £13.5k - that is an amazing price

MVP
Amazing deals to be had ??? - Dr_Duffy
I looked at a Forester before buying my Legacy. Its a nice car considered in isolation, but there is not a lot of room inside (the floor plan is basically the same as an Impreza). So its a quite a small car with big car running costs. The turbo models are also in a niche, how many people want a fast 4x4? I would have though a new Impreza hatchback turbo would be a better buy for similar discounted money. A bit more room inside, as fast as the Forester XT and better handling with more modern safety features.
Amazing deals to be had ??? - Lygonos
>>I would have though a new Impreza hatchback turbo would be a better buy for similar discounted money<<

6 and half-a-dozen in my mind. I don't think the Impreza can be had at these prices (yet!), and IMO is one of the blandest looking things on the road. Since Toyota grabbed a bigger chunk of Subaru, the latest designs are like grey blancmange (see Forester 3, and latest Impreza).

Thanks for the dice, DD ;-)

Another point I just found out - the interior cloth is water repellant (no, I'm not incontinent) - dumped a bunch of soaking clothes and a golf bag on the back seat and the water beaded up until I could get the kitcehn roll to it - a throwback to the old 'farmers friend' Subs.