Castrol Magnatec - mutley
I understand the theory of Magnatec oil but do the magnetic qualties mean that the fine metal particles inevitably found in engine oil get carried around the lub system rather than collect in the filter.
I cannot help feeling a thin, high quality oil,is a safer bet.
Does anyone know if my concern has any foundation?
Mutley
Castrol Magnatec - blank
I have no understanding of the theory behind magnatec, and a large part of me suggests that it might well be pure cowpoo.
However, I don't think there is any risk of the oil carrying more metal particles around the engine, because these are removed by filtration in the filter i.e. the holes in the filter are smaller than the particles trapped.

Andy
Castrol Magnatec - Archie
Mutley,

If you check Catrol's website you'll see that they claim that it clings to surfaces like a magnet rather than being magnetic, which would be a pretty neat trick.

Archie
It wasn't me. A big boy did it and ran away.
Castrol Magnatec - Dizzy {P}
For years I have fitted my engine and manual gearbox drain plugs with a magnet by drilling an internal recess into which I glue a stick magnet with epoxy resin (Araldite). Waste of time really, they never seem to collect any metal particles but I suppose I do get a bit of false reassurance from it. Perhaps the same applies with Magnatec.
Castrol Magnatec - madman
I don't think that the magnet would pick up all the swarf inside an engine anyway, only the ferrus items. As to the oil sticking like a magnet =so does srawberry jam! Give me a good fully synthetic oil anyday.
Castrol Magnatec - Pat L
Magnatec seems ok to me. My Merc 190 has now done 204,000 miles and has had Magnatec every 6,000 miles from new, with one exception when I used Halfords fully synthetic about 12,000 miles ago. I did notice a slight difference with the Halfords oil, but it may have been my imagination.

This car is on the original engine, gearbox and clutch, and its emissions were almost zero at the last MOT.

I think the main issue is the 6,000 mile oil change no matter which oil you use.

Regards

Pat