Buying a CRV - helicopter
Having misplaced the Accord in floods last month - I'm looking at a buying a Honda CRV Executive privately to replace it .

I'm looking at one on Saturday, 2004 model , manual.

I obviously have the CBCB with me but just wondered if any CRV owners on here have any comments about any odd problems to look out for , particularly if not on the CBCB.

Generally - as its a Honda I would expect it to be pretty solid and reliable but also any comments on realistic mpg?
Buying a CRV - PST
Coincidence - I bought a 54 reg CRV last week to replace a 10 year old Mk1 one.

Not a lot to add to CBC really - they really do seem to have a reliable reputation. They're pretty easy to crawl under so you can check for off-road damage. Honda dealers (maybe in common with others, I don't know) seem quite happy to look the car up on their computers to confirm service history (mine had been serviced but the book not stamped). It's a chain-cam petrol engine.

The gearing takes a bit of getting used to - about 3300 rpm at 70mph but not as noisy as you might expect (although my normal car is an Impreza where you certainly can't hear the clock ticking). The revelation (to me) though is just how maneuverable and nippy it seems around town with none of the wallow that the previous model had - very easy and comfortable to drive.

Fuel consumption - I will brim it tomorrow for the first time but I suspect 30mpg. I spent a week looking for one on Autotrader etc. I paid £4400 from a dealer for 45K miles and Sept '04 SE Sport with one year MOT and 6 months tax so I think I got a good deal. But the prices do seem very variable and if you're set on an Executive it might limit the choice. The SE Sport is half leather (compared to the exec's full leather) and some models came with sat nav (not sure what else the exec gives you). Honda dealers were charging (very) silly amounts.

Paul

Buying a CRV - NARU
There's a buying guide in the Oct Car mechanics magazine.
Buying a CRV - tawse
Coincidence - I bought a 54 reg CRV last week to replace a 10 year
old Mk1 one.

>>

Snipped
Honda dealers were
charging (very) silly amounts.
Paul

I have noticed dealers in South Wales charging double that which has really put me off the CRV. Having said that, I have heard that one such dealer has just warned their staff that if things do not pick up in the next month then there will be big lay-offs.

Paul, is the CRV your only car now or do you still have Imprezza? I ask as I just wonder how economical running a petrol CRV as a sole car is in the current climate. I have read many posts online from CRV petrol owners saying they are lucky to 25 mpg - that might be the auto though. Having said that, 30 mpg is not considered high these days. Interested to hear what you have to say about it being comfortable to drive as I have read many CRV owners saying this or how relaxing it is to drive.

One last question, do you find any problems with either the hand-brake digging into your left thigh and what about the seats - are they comfy or do they cause any back-ache problems?

Thanks,

T.
PST - I thank you for the feedback.

I definitely want the executive with the full leather ( heated seats etc) and satnav rather than the SE . I could probably get an SE for lthe sort of price you paid but I want the toys.

The local Honda Agent was asking £9k for a 40 k mile Executive Automatic which had cruise control -

The one I am looking at is a manual without cruise but everything else including DVD player with screens for the rear passengers and factory fit towbar.

Its currently up at £7k with 47 k miles so will have a good look before committing the hard earned. I will save £ 2k on Main Agent and by spending £250 - 300 for a top cover warranty I can get peace of mind.

I see one similar on ebay with 118 K on the clock( regularly serviced ) but is currently bidding at £4600 which I think is silly money.....
Buying a CRV - tawse
The local Honda Agent was asking £9k for a 40 k mile Executive Automatic which
had cruise control -

Have you had a read of the readers reviews over on whatcar's site for experiences about the auto-box? Just a thought.
Buying a CRV - PST
Helicopter - good luck with the search - there are plenty out there and with the nervousness over VED and fuel costs, I'm sure some deals to be had. If I'd had your budget my problem would've been toying with the idea of the diesel and/or the '05 facelift which I think also had some suspension/handling improvements.

If you've got the time to spend, Cargiant seemed to have a regular supply as well as BCA and Manheim but personally the auctions were a bit of a stretch for my experience and risk aversion tendencies.
Buying a CRV - PST
Tawse - I'm in the south-east and for some reason all the good deals seemed to be up t'north. If I hadn't managed to get rid of the Mk1 privately then I would have been in dealer hands with it as a trade in. As it was a bunch of Bulgarians turned up late on a Friday with the asking price in readies so I was then a cash buyer when a good deal appeared for a Mk2 from a home trader.

I still have the Imprezza - the CRV is Mrs PST's car - but we will use it now more as a family car as they are outgrowing the Subaru. These days we both do low-ish annual mileage which doesn't warrant a diesel so I can live with mpgs around the high 20s low 30s and the increased VED (not a diesel fan either, I'm afraid).

The CRV's comfort is probably helped by its 70 profile tyres on 15 inch wheels but as I mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised by its composure going round corners compared to the Mk1 where everyone used to have to hang on!

Hand brake digging into my thigh? No - you'd have to be pretty close to the dash/pedals for that wouldn't you? I like the seats - they are pretty firm which is good in my book. My only question might be the under thigh support - it felt like it was digging in on my one long journey in it so far which made my legs ache but that may just have been poor seat adjustment - I'll have a fiddle.
Buying a CRV - tawse
Thanks PST.

Yes, the seat bottoms do seem a tad short which, as far as I can see, is a bit of a problem with Japanese cars. The Verso suffers from the same problem for anyone of above average UK height.

Know what you mean about the diesels - I am doing my best to avoid getting one both for noise and for enivronmental / health reasons. Oh, and because of all I have learnt on here about the problems of reliability with modern diesels.

T.

Buying a CRV - Manatee
I've had two CRV IIs, a 2003 petrol auto SE Sport (the middle spec anyway) and a 2005 Executive 2.2 i-ctdi.

There was a facelift for the 2005 model year (the grill went from one bar to two and the rear number plate moved from the left to a central position). With this facelift the suspension was stiffened a bit and the handling improved and roll reduced. The maximum towbar noseload also increased fro 60kg to 100kg. though the maximum towing weight stayed the same (1200kg for the auto and 1500kg for the manual IIRC). PST's Sept 2004 model could be a 2005 model year (or not).

That said, I wasn't unhappy with the handling of the pre-facelift 2003 model for the type of car, but my 2006 MY diesel is certainly better.

I can't give you experience of the petrol manual economy, but 30 was the best I regularly achieved with the auto, 26 more common in mixed use and I suspect 22 would be representative for short urban journeys - maybe add 10% for a manual?

The only thing that went wrong with the first one was the clock ring in the steering wheel that carries the airbag signal - the light came on, and it had to be replaced (£180 part, though mine was warranty).

The second has just had the 'rear diff rumble'. This is caused by water getting into the back axle case through a breather and causing rust on the plates of the multiplate clutch that engages drive to the rear wheels. If you have this you'll notice it on full lock. The fix is to drain the case and refill; raise all four wheels and run the car in gear for half an hour with the handbrake half engaged; drain and refill the case. (this is from memory - there's a TSB on it). This removes the rust from the plates and stops the noise.

Hope some of this helps. Oh, and don't let a tyre bay torque the spare wheel onto the carrier with 100Nm like the road wheels - it's likely to shear a stud!

Edited by Manatee on 15/10/2008 at 22:56

Buying a CRV - HectorG
helicopter, I had an Executive manual and got about 30 mpg or less. It was gutless and I felt the seats were uncomfortable. No complaints about reliability though. I know people with autos who struggle to get 25 mpg. I replaced it with a Nissan X-Trail 2.5 petrol auto. Much more comfortable and 26 mpg over 24,000 miles, but not as well built as the CRV. The steering on the X-Trail is very heavy and didn't suit me.

I now have a Subaru Forester 2.0 XT auto. Goes like hell, 26 mpg overall, very well built and you can pick them up for peanuts now. I have seen some on forecourts for well over a year! Try one of these, you'll be surprised how good they are.

Regards, HectorG
Buying a CRV - Manatee
Good suggestion to try the Forester. Strange breed though, Subarus. They seem to have very low values except to Subaru dealers who have them for sale for ages. That includes new ones - quite a proportion are a year old or more by the time they are first on the road. I know I'll have a Subaru at some time, but the Forester I found just too small, particularly in the luggage area.

I didn't find the CRV uncomfortable, but that's a personal thing. Gutless it wasn't, unless compared with a Forester Turbo of course. My petrol auto averaged 27mpg over 52,000 miles (I used to keep the records).
Unfortunately the Forester does not have the toys that I want. Looks nice though. Another problem is that I have no local Subaru dealer and I know and trust ( for servicing) my local Honda agent

The CRV I am looking at on Saturday is the pre 2005 facelift model so does not have the added bonus of cruise control which I had in the Accord.

Just looking at the market and after discussions with my mate who used to be a Sarf London dealer and does still do a bit of dabbling in the trade, I think I may hold fire on buying for another couple of months yet ...... or I may yet resurrect the Lazarus Accord - my local independent who bought it has shifted it inside and is fitting a secondhand engine at the moment.