01 1.4 Poor starting & engine stalls at low revs - keano
Hi my wifes car which is a Clio 1.4 2001 auto is suffering with two intermittent problems. Firstly it can sometimes be quite hard to start taking several attempts before it will start. The second more worrying problem is that it stalls at low revs I.E. when at a junction and in gear.

The car was serviced at a Renault garage in March 08 by the previous owner. We have taken the car to two garages who have both put it on their diagnostics machines and cannot find a registered fault.

The last garage said that it could well be a dirty throttle housing, and they dismantled and cleaned it. The car was o.k. for a few weeks, but the same problem has re-occured and we would be grateful of any advice.

Many thanks
01 1.4 Poor starting & engine stalls at low revs - Screwloose

Is the starting problem hot/cold or both? Did they check the coolant temp sensor reading in live data?
01 1.4 Poor starting & engine stalls at low revs - cheddar
I would clean the crank position sensor which is located atop the gearbox adjacent to the engine block (unless it is different on an auto), something like brake cleaner or Muc Off does the job, Our 1.6 Clio suffered from an intermitent poor idling problem and this cured it, likewise a friends Megane with the same engine.

If cleaning does not help then replacing the sensor would be worthwhile, not expensive.

Otherwise as Screwloose says the coolant temp sensor could be at fault, again not expensive, if this fails the ECU can think the engine is hot when it is cold or visa versa and thus the fueling is screwed up.
Renault clio DCI 2002 - engine has no revs - littledickybird
snip now in a separate posting.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/10/2008 at 23:00

Renault clio DCI 2002 - engine has no revs - Screwloose

Mods; needs stand-alone thread. Another diesel/petrol mis-match.
Renault clio DCI 2002 - engine has no revs - keano
By the way - thank you very much for your help.
Renault clio DCI 2002 - engine has no revs - Screwloose
ldb

If it won't start and the computer isn't showing why - then there's a problem with the abilities of that computer, or the person reading the computer.

The extensive live-data on these cars displays every detail of the engine management system's operations - it is inconceivable that everything is showing as nominal.

Sub-optimal fuel pressure is the first thing to check for. Are there any air bubbles in the fuel lines? Is the filter a genuine Renault one - pattern ones leak round the quick-release connectors.

Black smoke on these is often a failed EGR valve - not going to cause a non-start though.
01 1.4 Poor starting & engine stalls at low revs - keano
Machanics did not mention anything other than the diagnosics came up with no faults. Test runs were fine he said when he took it out on the road. No mention of any possiblities as to what could be causing the problem. Hence my decision to ask for help here, given that money has been spent with no outcome. Local Renault are not that good either, three experiences with a Magane gives me no faith. With the info you and others have posted i can at least take it back to local garage with some clues as to what they can check.
01 1.4 Poor starting & engine stalls at low revs - Screwloose
keano

Sorry; that answer was to littledickybird.

[You see why I really, really, hate tack-ons.....]
01 1.4 Poor starting & engine stalls at low revs - jwallis

Hi I have a clio 1.2 manual 1998 and i am getting exactly the same problem... not starting first time and cutting out because of low revs, which is not amusing! Did you resolve the problem? i would really appreciate the help because i want to get this resolved asap! thanks!