03 1.8tdci starting problems - Ian Purdy
I have a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI diesel. During the summer it starts perfectly and when the engine is warm it starts perfectly: BUT when it is a cold morning particularly if it is frosty it is very difficult to start. The only way to start it is to hold your foot fully down on the accelerator and spin the starter motor over for a long time until it starts - it's like trying to start a 40 year old diesel engine! The car has only done about 30000 miles. Glow plugs have been replaced and also cam position sensor and leads without result. It has been put on one of these hand held computer diagnostics and no problem shows up. Does anyone have any possible solutions?

Edited by Pugugly on 13/10/2008 at 22:27

03 1.8tdci Starting Problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
First thing I would check is the power supply to the glowplugs. Its a start just to check there is actually battery voltage reaching the plugs but you also need to check current with a suitable ammeter.
When was the car last serviced? Infrequent oil changes can affect the cold compressions, but unless in its short life it had been only serviced a couple of times this is less likely to be a problem.
Cranking speed is critical, if the battery or starter are past their best then the engine wont spin fast enough to generate the required heat.
While you are grinding away on the starter is there any smoke from the exhaust & what colour?
03 1.8tdci Starting Problems - Ian Purdy
Power supply and current checked by garage - O.K. Car is serviced regularly (last service 2 months ago). New battery fitted January this year, starter motor seems to spin over plenty fast enough. I haven't noticed any smoke from exhaust.