I Have a Question - Volume 254 [Read only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 255 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 254. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Webmaster on 16/10/2008 at 19:40

Redundancy - Martin Devon
Good evening Chaps et al,

At what point/time served/other, does one have to pay redundancy to an Employee?

TIA.....................................VBR as ever..........MD
Redundancy - Pugugly
www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/employment/employment-leg...l

Everything you'll ever need to know. This site has been burnt into my screen all week.
Redundancy - Martin Devon
Thanks you Swine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any hope of a simple **swer I knew was lost when I posed the Q, but I lived in hope.

Actually PU I do, as ever, appreciate your response. I will now ignore the site as I am feeling fragile from the credit crisis. I will enjoy a bottle of London Pride or similar and address the impending matter as soon as normality returns.

VBR as ever..........MD
Redundancy - Pugugly
Similar situation here (albeit with a very pleasant ex-Tesco Leffe) bad week - shedding staff, not due to the economic situation but due to an ego the size of Brussels.
Redundancy - Mapmaker
>>shedding staff, not due to the economic situation but due to an ego the size of Brussels.

In which case, of course, not redundancy at all. Either a performance issue to be addressed via agreed procedures (warnings, inquiries etc.); or else a "mutual" agreement to terminate the contract, agreement of the employee being achieved through a large cash settlement and a compromise agreement.
Redundancy - cheddar
In which case of course not redundancy at all. >>

I thought that though didnt say it.

If I were PU I would use my mods exclusive abilities and remove that post incase "muscles from Brussels" is made redundant and happens to visit here.
Microfibre Cloths - drbe
Where can I buy microfibre cloths cheaply?

In Cornwall last week I bought a couple from Trago Mills @ 89p each. I have Googled but can't get near that price.

Any ideas please?
Microfibre Cloths - Martin Devon
Trago Mills! Will they post??

MD
Microfibre Cloths - drbe
Possibly, but I guess the postage will kill the price advantage.

I will have a look in Poundland? next time I am in Kingston. Of course, I could trudge round Tesco, Wilkinsons etc.....i
Microfibre Cloths - Manatee
I got a big bundle for not much money at Costco a while back - not sure if they still have them, but if you're a member look out for them. Cauldn't put a figure to it but they would be more more than 50p each.
Microfibre Cloths - Armitage Shanks {p}
Lakeland, formerly Lakeland Plastics, have them in store and do an on line service too. Not cheap but they are the real thing and do the biz!
Microfibre Cloths - Stuartli
Readily available in the discount, Poundland, Instore etc shops at very reasonable prices.
Microfibre Cloths - rtj70
I think I got such cloths from Tesco before now. Might not be as cheap as poundland though.

They have value microfibre clothes at 89p for 3.

Edited by rtj70 on 12/10/2008 at 22:03

Microfibre Cloths - Pugugly
2.96 for a pack of three in Tesco today - see what I've been driven to.
Microfibre Cloths - bathtub tom
Can't you use a napkin when buying your lunch from Tesco's?

Have you got a beard? - see Roald Dahl's Mr twit.
No beard (said he patiently) - I just like Tesco's Ploughman's Lunch sarnies. Does that make me like a chav or what ?
Microfibre Cloths - bathtub tom
OUCH!

Why does my wrist feel like it's just been slapped?
Not meant to ! Should have put a smiley there :-) In deference to your remark I had a Pot Noodle today for lunch.....!
Supermarket Dining - Steptoe
No beard (said he patiently) - I just like Tesco's Ploughman's Lunch sarnies. Does that
make me like a chav or what ?

PU, I do apologise for butting in but this seems to be a good thread to air a (non-motoring) matter of some concern.....

My local Tescos has just been revamped and this has involved in replacing the very decent in-house ground floor cafe with an upstairs Costa Coffee emporium, this presumably being franchised.

At a stroke this has discouraged the single chav mums who used to frequent the old place as their pushchairs won't easily go upstairs (there is a lift to comply with the disabled regs) in fact I don't think they are aiming at the rough trade at all as there are only 4 trolley lock-ups downstairs.

I used to buy a pot of tea & read the morning papers, the money saved on not buying a paper almost paid for the tea, plus in the winter it saves on heating at home, but now I feel that I am in a motorway service area [this is the tenuous motoring link ;-)] and the economic advantage is somewhat diminished. On the plus side the paper choice now extends to broadsheets with no tabloids in sight and the emporium has its very own toilets so one doesn't have to mix with the downstairs shoppers.

Is this a portend, i.e. no Tescos lunches, for the future?

{moved to a separate question and header re-titled, as has little to do with micro cloths}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/10/2008 at 11:16

Supermarket Dining - Alby Back
When I am "on the road" I regularly use supermarkets as a budget alternative to motorway service areas.

Instead of stopping at a ripoffarama I simply take any slip road which indicates the presence of a town nearby, most places have a Tesco, Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys on their outskirts.

Food, either sit in or take away, and fuel are always cheaper and the loos are generally clean.

Admittedly you do have to mingle with a......broad....... spectrum of the populace but it's OK and can be educational........

Now that PU has taught me how to converse with a wider audience I shall feel even more at home....innit ?
Supermarket Dining - cheddar
When on motorways McDonalds services are always better value than others, it seems that they have a policy of same prices at services as on the High St hence a burger and small shake can really fill a hole and be had for a couple of quid.
Yes, but there's no cutlery !!
And I hate gherkins.
You can request Big Macs etc sans gherkins though a burger/cheese burger does not have them.

As for cutlery, you pays your money ... ... ...
" I say young man.......I say?.......May I have one of your beefburger roll thingies, sans gherkin if you please, a side order of those shrivelled up chip things and a pot of Darjeeling please. In in a bit of a hurry if you don't mind, there's a good chap.......

I shall be sitting over there by the window, there don't seem to be any places set but I'm sure one of your little chums can sort that out eh ?

Chop chop.... er randomly if ness....."

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 13/10/2008 at 10:09

Supermarket Dining - Martin Devon
SQ
As for cutlery you pays your money ... ... ...

All been nicked.

MD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2008 at 11:14

Supermarket Dining - commerdriver
Yes but there's no cutlery !!

Don't know if it's still possible but my dear mother did once ask for (and get) cutlery in Macdonalds when out with me and my younger son
He still laughs about it years later
My kind of lady CD !! Quite right. I once observed a lady of a certain age do the same thing. She had managed to order something for herself and her equally senior companion. When presented with the food she politely pointed out that they had apparently forgotten the cutlery. Upon being told that it was not provided she very calmly and I have to say composedly said "Don't be ridiculous"........ "Please just go and fetch some"........They did.
Supermarket Dining - deepwith
'Tis easy, Humph, as they have them for the salads.
'Tis easy Humph as they have them for the salads.

That's right and they have spoons for the McFlurrys, quite a clever design, good for camping.
Supermarket Dining - Stuartli
it seems that they have a policy of same prices at services as on the High St >>

Not in Liverpool it would seem...:-)

Been in the city centre several times recently and dropped into McD's on each visit - prices varied by 10p to 20p for certain items depending on which branch was being used.

Queries revealed that individual franchises can set charges.
Supermarket Dining - PhilW
"I simply take any slip road which indicates the presence of a town nearby, most places have a Tesco, Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys on their outskirts"

I do the same

I have actually downloaded these places as POIs (from www.pocketgpsworld.com/ ) on my satnav so that I can find "the nearest" easily - unfortunately, the other day I also found a Tescos which no longer had a cafe for a good cheap breakfast - it was a Costa Coffee - good coffee but more expensive and no bacon and eggs!

Something I have wondered, if I get a large shake, all ice creamish, takes a while to drink, I dont finish it in McDs so put it in the cup holder and take a sip with the straw every now wnd then while cruising at 70 am I breaking the law? I guess so.
Supermarket Dining - drbe
Yes, I thought this thread was sounding familiar......

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=60858&...e
Microfibre Cloths - drbe
>> >> motorway service area [this is the tenuous motoring link ;-)] >>

>>

This is IHAQ where there should NOT be a motoring link. (See the blurb in the first post)
Microfibre Cloths - Steptoe
>> >> >> motorway service area [this is the tenuous motoring link ;-)] >>
>>
This is IHAQ where there should NOT be a motoring link. (See the blurb in
the first post)

Dear drbe,

I will gracefully accept your rebuke, as on rereading my post I realise that I also hadn't asked a direct question, merely lamented on the passing of the old order. (but did you not notice the smiley?)

Thanks to you and others for 'indicating' that the days of Tesco's cafes are numbered
Microfibre Cloths - drbe
>> I will gracefully accept your rebuke >>

>>

Oh! I am sorry, I really didn't mean it that way.

I will now slink away - shamefaced.
Upmarket Cafes - Pugugly
My fault - I'm going up the M6 tomorrow and will be stopping at the one that does 15% discounts for RAC members (a card that works remarkably well in the US by the way - especially when you mention the Royal bit). Humph that really made me laugh. Thanks all for brightening up a bad day !
Direct Debit Guarantee - daveyjp
We have a DD which should leave the account on 5th of the month. Bank account to an loan from same bank. 5th was a Sunday so it should have gone on the Monday, I have now found out it didn't, but our mortgage (also with same bank) did transfer on the 6th.

I found it because they took the DD on the 11th, despite appearing that there was enough cash in the account it was returned immediately as unpaid (when the loan went out there was still a +ve balance on the account, but I suspect there was a debit card payment pending which may mean in reality there isn't enough cash, but if the DD had gone through I could have transferred cash to cover any debit card payments which left today). 30 minutes on the phone to some poor guy in India has yielded no explanation, apart from admittance there was a system fault on 6th October. A visit to the branch is required.

Before I go is there anything in the DD guarantee which states if a payment isn't made on the due date due to a bank error they should advise when it will be made?

The enough cash in the account is another issue, but some Direct Debit Guarantee info would be useful.
Direct Debit Guarantee - L'escargot
This website may answer your questions. tinyurl.com/4kgzgr
Direct Debit Guarantee - daveyjp
Thanks L'escargot. Armed with some of this info I visited the bank. Once again eyeball to eyeball contact wins the day. Half an hour spent trying to explain to someone 4,000 miles away was a complete waste of time. Getting me to call someone else was his main priority as he didn't fully understand what was wrong.

5 minutes with the front desk and it was explained there was a system problem at the beginning of the month so some DDs weren't paid. No charges to my account for the missed payment and she took the outstanding loan payment - both things the guy in India couldn't/didn't want to do.
Effect of nationalisation of banks - L'escargot
Will the banks that have been nationalised cease to compete against one another? Will they all offer the same savings products, and pay the same rates of interest?

Edited by L'escargot on 14/10/2008 at 08:53

Effect of nationalisation of banks - cheddar
Only Northern Rock has been completely nationalised and even it will need to be competitive to attract customers, the others have received investments from us taxpayers though we are still minority shareholders and they will be able to, and will need to, operate on a commercial basis.
Effect of nationalisation of banks - ifithelps
....we are still minority shareholders....

Sixty per cent of of RBS/NatWest and 40 per cent of of whatever Lloyds/TSB/HBOS is going to be called is some minority.
Not 60% of RBS, and it looks like HBOS might survive indepedently of Lloyds which is what makes it so inequitable fro B&B shareholders.
Effect of nationalisation of banks - ifithelps

Cheddar,

Quote from BBC website story "UK Banks Receive £37bn Bail Out":

"Taxpayers will own about 60% of RBS and 40% of the merged Lloyds TSB and HBOS and executives at the three firms will see cash bonuses limited or forbidden."

Apologies if that's wrong, but it looked pretty clear to me.

Apologies if that's wrong but it looked pretty clear to me.

Fair enough, depends on how it is valued though it doesn't change the answer to the OP, the banks will all have to operate on a commercial basis.
Effect of nationalisation of banks - Optimist
Naive question of the day:

when you have panic selling of bank shares, as recently, who's buying them?

Effect of nationalisation of banks - adverse camber
people who aren't panicking but think you are.
or thoswe closing short positions

Edited by adverse camber on 14/10/2008 at 13:18

Effect of nationalisation of banks - Mapmaker
I don't think there are short positions on banks any more, are there?

But yes, there is always somebody who will buy shares at some price.
Reckon shares in Barclays could be good value, they are rising though will surely rise more when they announce that they have secured funding, which they surely will, and the markets might have more faith in them on the basis that they have not needed a gov bail out.
Effect of nationalisation of banks - Mapmaker
not needed a gov bail out.

Yet.

I still reckon the FTSE100 will be down at 3,250 in due course.
Interesting that RBS going up in value makes Peston suggest that existing shareholders might subscribe for additional shares rather than letting them go to HMG.

Effect of nationalisation of banks - jbif
when you have panic selling of bank shares, as recently, who's buying them?

Answer: generally speaking, Marketmakers.

A simplified description of the process:

Shares are bought and sold via marketmakers.
Marketmakers set their prices second by second based on liquidity or supply/demand volumes.
The price you see mentioned in the media is usually the mid-price, and does not show the spread [i.e. the buy/sell prices set by the marketmaker].

So for example, I wanted to buy a particular stock on Friday when its price was at a 5 year low. The marketmaker was quoting a spread of 20% between the buy and sell prices, and looking at the volumes being traded, it was clear that his strategy was preventing people dumping stock on him.
He wanted 100p to sell to me or ws paying 80p to sellers.
This also effectively deterred me from buying because I would have to wait him to raise his buy price by 25% [80p buy price going up to 100p] before I would be breaking even [ignoring my dealing and stamp-duty costs].

In contrast, in the high volume trades today, just llok at some of the tiny spreads:
Barclays, volume traded at 2pm 40 million shares, broker buys at 251.75p but sells at 252p
www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=qkquote&cb=1196443261&symb...c

re. short selling:
see www.selftrade.co.uk/news.php?symbole=1uBARC.L#idNe...3
for all declared short sellers in the past few days.

OK. Thanks.

But the market makers don't want to hold stock, do they? Or do they?

> .. But the market makers don't want to hold stock, do they? Or do they?

They will usually hold stock they judge just enough to keep the market liquid.
If there is demand they can't satisfy from their "reserves", they will raise both the price they pay to entice sellers and at the same time raise their own price to deter buyers, and also adjust the spread to reflect the availability of stock.

As most stocks have two or more marketmakers, they also constantly adjust the prices relative to their competition.
There are some stocks which are rarities and for these usually they may not quote an instant dealing price.

Edited by jbif on 14/10/2008 at 15:54

Effect of nationalisation of banks - Alanovich
Who are these Market Makers and who appoints them?
Who are these Market Makers and who appoints them?

www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/Doing/Do/index.shtml
"The Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 (FSMA)
FSMA is concerned with the regulation of financial services and markets in the UK . Under Section 19 of FSMA, any person who carries on a regulated activity in the UK must be authorised by the FSA or exempt (an appointed representative or some other exemption)."

Who does what in the market? : tinyurl.com/53fbmt

FSA register: www.fsa.gov.uk/register/home.do

Glossary of Financial Terms:
www.sii.org.uk/web5/infopool.nsf/HTML/cCareersGlos...y

Fair enough depends on how it is valued

>>

Seems as though Robert Peston agrees:

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2008...l
Effect of nationalisation of banks - Baskerville
Peston was watching early trading; as of right now RBS shares are well below where they started this morning.
Sultanas, Currants and Raisins - cheddar
Wotsa difference?
Sultanas, Currants and Raisins - daveyjp
All three are dried grapes. Sultana white grapes, raisin black grapes, currants a a slighty larger variety of black grape.
Sultanas, Currants and Raisins - crunch_time
The blackbirds that queue up on my windowsill don't seem to notice or care.

All three are dried grapes. Sultana white grapes raisin black grapes currants a a slighty
larger variety of black grape.

Can you elaborate?

Going by the Whitworths packaging Raisins are white grapes and Currants black grapes, Sultanas (Tesco packet so no pics like Whitworths) taste like Raisins?
Sultanas, Currants and Raisins - L'escargot
According to the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew tinyurl.com/4ybjvj

"Raisins are dried white grapes usually of the variety 'Muscatel'. The main producers are the USA, Turkey, Greece and Australia.

Sultanas are small raisins. They are seedless, sweet, pale golden in colour and come mainly from Turkey.

Currants are dried, black, seedless grapes originally produced in Greece. They were known as 'raisins of the sun'."

Intersting, thanks L'escargot!
Malaga trip next year. - billy25
Hi folks,

after a bit of "browsing" last night, (we're going to Malaga next year) I came across this place. Now don't ask me why (cos i don't know!) I just got the"urge" to try it! (whether i've got the bottle when/if we get there is another matter).

Has anybody been there and tried it? - if so what was it actually like? would you do it again!?

www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562

Billy

{subject line re-titled, as per the "Please Note" request at the start of this thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2008 at 13:40

Malaga trip next year. - Big Bad Dave
I visited a friend a couple of weeks ago who has a veranda on the second floor of his house that has no railings. It runs the width of the house and is about a metre wide and I managed to walk four or five paces before having to get down on hands and knees and reverse back to the door.

That's one of the most fascinating clips I've ever seen Billy but I could never do it. Good luck.

Malaga trip next year. - ifithelps
... has a veranda on the second floor of his house that has no railings....

There was a glass-skinned office block in Victoria Street, London SW1, once occupied by BP.

The walls were floor-to-ceiling glass and staff found this so unnerving a wide wooden railing was put in at waist height throughout the building.

Looking out of one of those glass walls still felt odd, even with one hand firmly grasping that reassuring railing.
Malaga trip next year. - Baskerville
Are you a climber? Have you ever been climbing? Do you want to?

If the answer to these questions is 'no' I would recommend not doing it. If you don't know what your limits are that is not the place to find out. You will be in the way of people who are using the walkway to get somewhere and a panic attack could be lethal.

Before you go find out if you have a head for heights somewhere easier, though at times quite 'exposed'. Be honest with yourself about how you think you might cope. Why not have a day climing Pavey Arc via Jack's Rake? It's a great scramble:

www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes5.htm

Malaga trip next year. - Optimist
If you're going to Malaga visit Ronda. Nice town. Bullring to look at. Good restaurants.

And a narrow bridge that goes over a gorge rather like the one in the video clip. Have a look over the side of that to see how you feel about heights!

Enjoy.

Malaga trip next year. - Stuartli
Second the tip about Ronda.

But if you really, really want to know what true fear can be like, just watch this video (preferably full screen!) and be amazed at just how seriously brave some people can be(!):

www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562
Malaga trip next year. - Group B
Blimey, I dont fancy that! I could do it with a harness and roped on but not my idea of fun. The concrete is 103 years old and had no maintenance for years; after a couple of freeze/thaw cycles in winter you could find yourself making a new hole.

Have you seen what it says on Wikipedia?:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey

"Several people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years; after four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed the entrances. However, adventurous tourists still find their way onto the walkway to explore it."

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2008 at 13:41

Weeell, I've watched that clip over and over a dozen or more times since i found it, and it still excites me! ;-) I "used to be " ok(ish) with heights, (been waggled around on the top of a 45ft ladder whilst being squirted with a fire-hose) when i was a member of the works fire brigade ten years ago, but apart from a bit of gentle rock-hopping i've not done anything like climbimg since.
Points about being/impeding climbers noted, but most of it seems to be a (very) carefull walk, with a good sense of balance, as opposed to an actual climb, but yes, will have to give it very carefull thought, and make up my mind once and for all when/if we get there!

If i could just get as far as the pipe and back .............;-))))

Billy
Malaga trip next year. - Lud
That is among the most terrifying bits of video I have ever seen.

When I was young and foolhardy, a ride on the back of a fast-driven sporting motorbike without leathers or helmet seemed OK to me. But I couldn't go more than ten feet up the scaffolding ladder then and I couldn't do it now, perhaps not even to save my life.
Malaga trip next year. - rtj70
I'd never go on that path in Malaga. And it might be scarey for some going up but I'd think the view coming down would be worse.

As for scaffolding, when we had some put up for work on the roof last year, I was surprised that they did it all without the need for ladders. And the house is pretty tall being an Edwardian period house with cellars.
Malaga trip next year. - Statistical outlier
Billy, I've not tried that particular route, but more generally the sort of thing you're getting excited about is known as 'Via Ferrata' or 'Klettersteig' in Germany / Austria. It can be immense fun - lots of climbing type exposure, but at reduced risk and difficulty.

There are some particularly good beginners routes out in the Dolomites, notably the Lagouzi (SP - will check when I get a chance) Tunnels. There is also a new VF route in the Lake District that you can pay (!) to go on - tinyurl.com/6x9cd8 .

As others have said, by the looks of your Malaga link caution should be exercised, and you should check out your head for heights in a more controlled situation first. If you're not near the Lakes you could try Go Ape - it's surprisingly fun, even for someone that climbs regularly.
Malaga trip next year. - Stuartli
Here's some road versions:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rp1m8Xgxw

www.linkinn.com/_Top_5_most_dangerous_roads_of_the...d

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5WU8hilbN9Y&feature=related

Thanks for all the "tips, advice and suggestions recieved, i shall bear them in mind!

Stuartli: after looking at some of those roads, walking that pipetrack should be a piece of cake! ;-) i definitly wont ever-ever -ever! drive on those even if i got chance! - found the traffic light clip amusing though ;-) could you imagine that in London!

Gordon: lived at the gateway to the Lakes almost all my life! been over all the lakeland passes at sometime or other, including Honister, but never knew that Outward bound type place existed!!! looks like it may be a nice sunday afternoon stroll sometime - but not till next Spring, too cold now!

Cheers

Billy
Malaga trip next year. - hcm
We had a holiday in that area 7 years ago.

I tried a bit of the path with my girlfriend looking on, but after a couple of minutes I was hit by the most overpowering sense of utter fear I have ever experienced! Involuntary trembling, dry mouth and weakness in my legs. I turned around and extremely slowly came back the way I had come. I sat down afterwards and had a very cold beer and swore I would never, ever do anything similar again. I like the buzz of adrenaline from doing risky things where I feel I have a good statistical chance of living to enjoy the memory. That path, for me, was too risky.

My hands were sweating just watching that clip. As you can see from it there are holes big enough for you to fall down - sooner or later more will appear when someone is standing or walking on them. How lucky do you feel?!
I was hit by the most overpowering sense of utter fear<<

Obviously then it's scaryier in real-life ;-) but lucky you!, i've now mentally put it on my list of things to do before i die (who knows it may be the cause of it ;-( ) only jokin!!
Reading one or two of the posts on the video page, there is a fearless Lass from Malaga who claims to have done it "several" times, and at Night too!! (wouldn't want her as a mother-in law!)
Also, one poster confirms that the Andalusian Government have agreed the 7million Euro bill to reinstate the walkway for the tourist trade, maybe i'll wait till it's been done and got new handrails then! ;-)

cheers
Billy
Malaga trip next year. - Lud
maybe i'll wait till it's been done and
got new handrails then! ;-)

You won't catch me up there even if it has new handrails and I am permanently harnessed to a failsafe skyhook.

No pfd way!
My dishwasher pongs! - bathtub tom
A sort of foul water type odour. I've found that at the bottom of the door there's a greasy, slimy brown sludge. To get a good look at it you'd need to climb inside, lay on your back and peer back up at it (if you're a six inch contortionist). I've cleaned off as much as I can by feel (you need a strong stomach).

Has anyone got any experience or ideas on how to get it clean, and keep it that way?
My dishwasher pongs! - cheddar
Buy Vanish dishwasher cleaner, comprises a bottle of cleaner, you open the bottle, place it in the dishwasher as per instructions and put it on a hot wash.
My dishwasher pongs! - rtj70
But don't take the sticker off the top - it dissolves in the hot wash. Normally you put them in the cutlery holder upside down.

I'd be wondering why the dishwasher is like this - one thought is it's not heating the water properly. Or is it still washing things okay?
My dishwasher pongs! - billy25
how often do you use it? - most dishwashers/washers do not empty completely, that is theres always a bit of water left in the pump/sump/pipes. If you only use it infrequently, this can go "stale/stagnanty" so to help minimise this just run a bit of fresh water through it each day, and leave the lid/door slightly open if possible. if you have any inaccessable places that you cant get to, try spraying them with some spray cleaner (non-soapy) such as "Orange Clean", not only will it help to prevent nasty bacterial build-up (which is what the slimy brown gunk probably is) but it also has quite a powerfull, pleasant orange smell.

Billy
My dishwasher pongs! - bathtub tom
It is used regularly, usually a wash cycle almost every day, and a rinse and hold after every meal if there's insufficient to justify a full wash cycle.

I get the impression (I can't see the area) that it's a 'high tide line' where the fats, grease and other detritus float to, and for some reason stick to a kind of door seal.

I keep the salt and rinse-aid topped up.

If it's any help, it's a seven-year-old basic Bosch. At the time of purchase I recall seeing what appeared to be the same model badged as Electrolux, amongst others.

I suppose at that age it must be near the end of its life!
My dishwasher pongs! - rustbucket
Why do you suppose at only 7 years its at the end of its life? get some dish washer / washing machine decalcifier there are several on the market. The one we use is a powder from Bosch online service department. You just pour it in do a hot wash ( empty washer) it cleanes and gets ride of the stagnent water smell.
My dishwasher pongs! - daveyjp
I run our dishwasher on the full heat cycle with just the oven door glass in it about 4 times a year. Cleans both very well. No sign of gunk in ours and it's an almost 5 year old Bosch.
"almost 5 year old Bosch"

But it's a Bosch/Siemens though ;-) We've had our Siemens for a while now and it has been most excellent. Even the short/coldest wash cleans most things in about 30 minutes.
Our dishwasher is probably run (albeit on the econoy setting) at least once a day, sometimes more often!

Maybe it's the rinse and hold you're doing that's the problem? We never do that but dishes do not sit in it for long before being washed. If a rinse is cold water then maybe worth investigating if this is partly the cause.

I know Bosch and Siemens are one and the same with a bottom of the range Siemens like a mid range Bosch. Cannot remember if there is another brand up or if it's just BSH for dishwashers?
My dishwasher pongs! - Alby Back
We have had a dishwasher for 6 years. I doubt if it has been run 6 times. Marigolds and and bottle of Fairy does fine !

So I am assured.......not my bailiewick really.

;-)
My dishwasher pongs! - Stuartli
Don't forget Blaupunkt is a Bosch subsidiary, plus the Bosch anti-lock brakes, ESP etc products (Bosch has more than 270 subsidiaries in all..:-)
But how much time as wasted on washing up. And if you're heating is off in the summer, how do you easily tackle the washing up? The dishwasher uses less water and heats only what is needed.

I bet a dishwasher could be more cost effective in terms of the environment that washing up liquid and hot water. And my time is worth something too. And it's somewhere to keep dishes out of the way before they need washing.

But we mostly use it on the eco wash. And the others on the Siemens are all variable timed. I know it somehow weights things because the initial estimate on the other wash programmes is shorter with less in. It also does a rinse and checks for debris in the rinse water to work out how dirty things are. Finally on the hotter washes it stores the heat from the hot wash to later dry the contents. Pretty clever.

Our previous dishwasher lasted no time at all - we tried to get an integrated one on budget that was the right colour. Not well made at all. Replaced with a standalone unit from Siemens (and it was cheaper than the builtin one) and it is miles better.
My dishwasher pongs! - Stuartli
We have an even better method - a multipoint boiler...:-)

Supplies hot water for the taps, baths and shower as and when required. The original drop in energy bills was quite dramatic after an immersion heater was given the heave-ho.

These days we are on the StayWarm scheme.
"We have an even better method - a multipoint boiler...:-)"

Still have to wash the dishes ;-) Unless you also have a dishwasher.
How big is your carbon footprint? - L'escargot
How big is your carbon footprint?

If you don't happen to know, then you can calculate it. tinyurl.com/2el2j5

Edited by L'escargot on 16/10/2008 at 16:18

How big is your carbon footprint? - Dipstick
Is there a link there that explains the presumptions behind the calculations? I couldn't see it.

How big is your carbon footprint? - billy25
We create 8.344 tons! which according to the calculations = 9 trees, to offset my footprint by buying and planting said trees, is going to recycle £110.25p of my currency!.
I think i will just have a walk up the park, bully (i mean rescue!) a dozen Conkers off some kids, and quietly plant them somewhere, there! thats me carbon neutral.
Interesting thing i noticed though, even though we use about a hundred pounds worth of Electricity more than Gas, it creates about 1 ton less carbon.

Billy
How big is your carbon footprint? - Pugugly
15 tonnes.