2006 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec v Vectra 1.9 CDTi - plnpln
I am looking for a cheapish second hand car. I have seen for £5k a 2006 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec with 40k miles and a 2006 Vectra 1.9 CDTi with 63k miles, both with service history.

The car will do 10k miles a year, with 2 adults + 2 children.

I am looking for a reliable, cheap car able to carry decent amount of baggage. I am not really interested in the minutiae of how it drives (the most enjoyable car I have driven in 30 years of driving was the wifes 10 year old 1ltr Fiat Uno!).

Which would you choose - and can you think of anything better for the money?
2006 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec v Vectra 1.9 CDTi - Hector Brocklebank
I'd probably say the Mondeo. It was generally regarded as a better car while both were current and there is more room in the back seat too.
For the mileage you do a diesel won't make any financial difference as the fuel costs more in the first place. Also there is more to go wrong with a diesel (failing turbos, heavy oil consumption etc).
It may be of little importance to you but the mondeo is a seriously good handling car.
I don't think there are any better used buys at the moment than these second hand rep-mobiles. What a lot of car for your money!!!
2006 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec v Vectra 1.9 CDTi - DP
I agree, a diesel makes little sense for covering this annual mileage.

The Mondeo is probably the better all round car, but if you prefer the Vectra, there's not much wrong with it in fairness. If you go petrol on the Vectra, you'll get a nice, reasonable mileage 3ish yr old car for your money. There's a nice looking 2005 2.2 SRI on Autotrader at the moment, with 42,000 miles, for £5k on the nose. 25% of what it probably set someone back three and a bit years ago. A lot of car for the money.

Cheers
DP

2006 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec v Vectra 1.9 CDTi - SuperBuyer
Strangely for me I'd say the Mondeo. The 1.8 petrol engine is somewhat simpler than the CDTI engine I believe. It might not be super quick, but it will be fine. The inside of the Mondeo tends to hold up better I think.

[goes for a lie down after recommending a nasty petrol car...]
2006 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec v Vectra 1.9 CDTi - Marc
Both good cars - what spec is the Vectra?

My only comment is that the 1.8 Ford petrol is no ball of fire and not that economic when pushed IME.