Icelandic driving - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

We're heading off to Iceland soon for a long weekend - staying in Reykjavik but hiring a car and heading up to probably at least Gullfoss and other parts of the golden ring(?)

Just been reading up on driving in Iceland and it doesn't look like Kansas, Dorothy.

Can anyone give me some reassurance, hints or horror stories about driving up there, we're keeping off the F-roads that much is for sure!

Thanks
Lee
Icelandic driving - Robin Reliant
In view of the economic meltdown in Iceland, this is a timely warning about the dangers of using their cash machines...

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
Icelandic driving - Screwloose

Might be an idea to take your spending money in gold coins...
Icelandic driving - Lud
Funny Screwloose, I too was thinking in terms of non-bank-dependent portable wealth. Gold bars sprang to mind. But no doubt there are other possibilities. An elephant tusk or two if there's room in your luggage perhaps.

When I was young robbers were always holding up Post Office vans and stealing stamps, something I found hard to understand as a child (were these robbers perhaps more conscientious letter writers than I was? I wondered). But I suppose in this case you would have to have Icelandic ones.
Icelandic driving - billy25
Don't forget your tin of lighter fuel - thats how the Icelandic put tyres back on the rims and inflate them! - useful tip to know if you knock a tyre off!.
Oh and i believe Lager and beer are very dear, one program i saw about 2 years ago (i think) mentioned £6 a pint!!!
Billy
Icelandic driving - TonyJ
Some years ago now but have done a flydrive to Iceland doing the usual tourist sites. Roads fine (some with grit surfaces) & minimal traffic on any of them. Its a bigger country than I realised so distances can be large depending on what you want to see. Remarkable differences in landscapes from lunar to quite lush grass.
Icelandic driving - ForumNeedsModerating
Everyone will probably be driving very slowly (if at all!) - fuel must have doubled in price recently as the krona has vitually halved in value vs. USD. I'd be tempted to take Euros instead of buying krona - I don't think they have much confidence in their own currency currently.

Things will be quite cheap (currency devaluation) generally - apart from fuel of course - and you will be welcomed warmly everywhere you go when flashing the (non-Iceleandic) cash.

Edited by woodbines on 09/10/2008 at 10:26

** Small addendum to my 'advice' above in the light of the latest news - take a jacket or rucksack wth Canadian mapleleaf logo & talk with slightly twangy mid-atlantic accent.
Icelandic driving - nick62
Don't forget your tin of lighter fuel - thats how the Icelandic put tyres back
on the rims and inflate them! - useful tip to know if you knock a
tyre off!.
Oh and i believe Lager and beer are very dear one program i saw about
2 years ago (i think) mentioned £6 a pint!!!
Billy

>>

I was working in Reykajavik in January 2007. Temperature never got above -5C and from memory a bottle of beer (not a pint) was about £6 a go! But the exchange rate was about Kr130/£ then and its more like Kr200/£ now, so I suppose the beer is only £4 a bottle now.
Icelandic driving - borasport20
Lee - youre a jammy so and so

It's 30 years (is it really that long ago ?) since I went to Iceland on a couple of field trips, and most of Route 1 (the road that goes round Iceland) was gravel rather than tarmac, but even so we had no problems with the Transit vans we used. I suspect that more, possible even most, of that road, will now be surfaced, but there are going to be areas like the sandur plains where it will never be viable to have a fixed road - it would get washed away every year or so.

Just in case, some form of puncture repair might be advisable, and it is a sparsely populated country so I wouldn't rely on mobile coverage

Remember the Top Gear program where they had a race against a jet powered canoe - spent four months camping at the side of that lake. Marvellous

let me know if you think of anything else I can help you with
Thanks for the replies. The currency heading south can only be a good thing, but given the news tonight, they may yet close their borders to the british in a terrorism tit-for-tat action!

Euros a good idea, will take some.

Am heartened by the road advice, sounds fair enough. We're only there three days and are taking in some whale watching so we'll not get too far in the car, it's more of a flexibility thing. That said, I was surprised when I realised it takes 16 hours on a bus to get over the Island. Almost as long a taking a bus from Manchester to London...

borasport - four months camping by the lake sounds idylic, quite jealous of that!

Icelandic driving - jase1
Thanks for the replies. The currency heading south can only be a good thing but
given the news tonight they may yet close their borders to the british in a
terrorism tit-for-tat action!

Assets were frozen as part of the Terrorism, Crime and Security Act.

The relevant section had nothing to do with terrorism.

I can understand the rags having a field day, but the Icelandic PM did himself no favours in referring to it. It made him look silly.
I think he's more than a little stressed! Just read the population of Iceland is 300,000. Can't see where they will get All that money back from but I suppose the roads will be quiet.
Icelandic driving - Nsar
Only just motoring related but there is an excellent Icelandic movie on at some indy arthouse cinemas at the moment called Jar City which shows a very different side to the usual image of Iceland but does have some good scenes showing the landscape where characters drive out into the smaller communities.
Icelandic driving - TonyJ
Time permitting you should try to have a swim at the Blue Lagoon - surreal experience. Odd ritual was that you were expected to strip naked & wash all over (someone was there to ensure (not help!) that this was done) before you go outside for a swim in water that any passing birds could have aimed at.
If the weather is decent get up the tower of Hallgrimskirkja church - fantastic views over Reykjavik (& beyond) with the multicoloured house roofs.
Icelandic driving - helicopter
Dont know about driving there apart from the programme I saw with the big tyred vehicles being repaired using lighter fuel. It certainly looks a nice place to go - ISTR that every female was glorious looking as well...

I would not risk a trip up the church tower at the moment Citroenian ......

Too many bankers queing to jump off. Chickens home to roost IMHO....

Am I glad I kept my money in boring old Nationwide and National Savings...Only a couple of months ago my son , a chartered accountant was very sniffy about the fact that SWMBO and I had our full allowance of premium bonds - put it into something that earns interest he said....
Icelandic driving - Mike H
The normal roads, and the bits you are talking about, are fine. We went there in April a few years ago (2001) and hired a small Mazda of some sort - can't remember what it was, IIRC it was the saloon version of a hatchback you could get in the UK at one time. The main road round the country is tarmaced all the way, and the road to Gullfoss, Thingvelir, geysers etc. was not tarmaced but a reasonable surface (bit like some of the Norwegian backroads). We did the golden circle by coach and just had a car to go down to the southern tip from Rekyavik. Damn cold and snowing!

If you want to really go off the beaten track then you'll need some kind of 4x4, which are obviously offered by the hire companies - in fact, most of the hire cars are 4x4s.

Iceland is a fantastic country, you'll love it.
Icelandic driving - nick1975
Make sure you check your insurance cover carefully
Icelandic driving - Fullchat
Would you do a favour and pick up a cheque for £5.5 million made out to Humberside Police whilst you are there. Cash would be better. :-(
Icelandic driving - Ian (Cape Town)
From tomorrow's telegraph:

I instead found (myself) walking past the headquarters of Landesbanki, the collapsed bank.
This was the best chance we were going to get to try to get our money back, but as soon as we went inside a guard said with a smile: "No interviews or pictures today."
He motioned me courteously towards a cash machine, where I was able to withdraw 15,000 kronor, or a bit over pounds 100 but only by first inserting my own credit card in the normal way."

So there you have it!
Icelandic driving - Zippy123
What is the capital of Iceland?

About £3.50!

What is the latest blockbuster doing the rounds in Iceland's Cinemas?

Broke Banks Mounting!

I'll get my coat!

Perhaps our "well 'ard" PM should have paused and engaged brain before branding the clearly bewildered populus of Iceland as "terrorists."

That little island has unlimited, everlasting, energy resources - even Saudi's reserves can't compare to the energy in an active magma chamber.

Instead of insulting them; maybe he should have suggested that Iceland consider joining the Slightly-United Kingdom. [Not something requiring a great change in their governance or lifestyle and they're going to be annexed by someone.]

Then it's down to our best brains to find a viable way to get that free energy all the way to Scotland. There have been schemes to transmit electricity via the Faroes mooted in the past; but maybe an, electrolysis-produced, hydrogen pipeline would be worth considering in these oil-short days. [And I do know how easily the stuff leaks...]
Icelandic driving - Zippy123
>>Perhaps our "well 'ard" PM should have paused and engaged brain before branding the clearly bewildered populus of Iceland as "terrorists."

He did not brand anyone as a terrorist. He just used clauses within the act.

In fact the legislation used was part 2, article 4 of the Anti Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 which just happens to have clauses in it which deal with terrorism and says that assets can be frozen in the UK if the Treasury "reasonably believe" that "action to the detriment of the United Kingdom's economy (or part of it) has been or is likely to be taken by a person or persons, or action constituting a threat to the life or property of one or more nationals of the United Kingdom..."

The person against whom action is taken has to be either a foreign government or resident.

It was the easiest law to use to protect this country.

I did know which Act was used - and why; but the Icelandic PM [and by inference his people] clearly was hurt deeply by the association with terrorism of a vital NATO partner and that won't help our case when the baliffs move in to carve up Iceland.

And "actions to the detriment of the UK economy" is pushing it a bit for defaulting £450M on a dodgy bank's compensation scheme. I'm sure Lehman's CDS defaults will be much larger and we won't be seizing the US embassy.

Bullying a tiny country that has been no more reckless than our highly-paid and expensively-bailed bankers will cost us more in the coming chaos than it saved - just for a few cheap headlines and even fewer votes.
A very good series of points SL. I think GB (the PM that is, not the country..) has become former-seven-stone-weakling-given-the-chance-to-kick-some-sand-in-othe
r-faces
- his action with Iceland certainly won't magically conjure cash out of a broken country. Freezes on assets will certainly challengeable in the courts (eventually) & post-apocalypse feelings will run high in Iceland against future co-operation with the UK.

It was a golden opportunity for some 'creative accounting' in some ways - why not in fact offer to lend/loan Iceland the realtively piffling 5B euros(?) they're seeking from Russia - that would immediately buy immense gratitude and possible future profit. It would put the UK, in some ways, first in the queue from the Icelandic authorities' compensation discussions- it might even restore confidence to some extent in Icelandic assets & mitigate the actual losses - a virtuous circle.

Iceland has vast reserves (nay, virtually unlimited) of geo-thermal power - why not offer to fund or invest in electricity generation & undersea cables (as is being done between Eire & the UK) to secure at least part of our 'green' energy (or indeed any energy) needs? What a fantastic investment it might turn out to be.

Iceland has control & access to very rich fishing grounds - why not 'barter' or offset some of their debt against guaranteed access to this within their regulation?

We lost a good opportunity to box clever there - I only hope the treasury officials presently
negotiating (in Iceland) have a bit more savvy, imagination & flexibility.

Icelandic driving - Pugugly
It was a quick headline win - party politics fiddling whilst Rome burns. Now back to the original topic or carry on in IHAQ !
Icelandic driving - Lud
Cash would be better. :-(

How about a few hundred tons of frozen coley Fc? We may have to get used to a bitter barter...
Reykjavik postcard - Citroënian {P}
Lots and lots of those outlandish Land Cruisers here with massive lighter fluid wheels, and some real american tat too! Get the car this afternoon so wish me luck.

A sign in the tourist office this morning said "Sorry, no tax refunds due to unforseen error". Now it may be that the computer is broken or maybe it´s the economy...

Brought Euros with me.....and all the banks are closed. Hmmm.

There are more journalists here than tourists at the moment.

Thanks for the advice on the roads, esp Gulfoss, going there tomorrow useful to know that it´s unpaved.

Lee
Icelandic driving - james86
We went earlier this year and did the full Route 1 drive round the island over 9 days in a hired Polo. No problems at all - the area around Reykjavik and Gullfoss is very easy in particular. City driving in Reykjavik (and Akureyri) was no problem, people were fairly good and nothing like the horror stories that you hear about some places (I also drove round West Africa a couple of years ago which was very different)

The thing to watch particularly this late in the year is where the "motorway" turns into gravel. I don't think you'll find much as this was more in the northern half of the island but there might be a bit. Just take it slow until you've got the hang of it and know the car well enough. When we first got to the gravel I was going at 30kmh but it's too slow on an 80 road and you don't take long to find your confidence. Long gaps between other cars on the gravel because at speed they will bring up a lot of dust and you won't be able to see.

Of the golden circle tour we didn't think much of Thingvellir. Gullfoss was great but not as good as Dettifoss in the north if you end up getting that far up. Geyser is a must as is the Blue Lagoon. Let me know if you have any other questions - having been so recently I will hopefully be able to help!

Overall enjoy it - it's a fantastic place to go and I am really looking forward to getting back. Hopefully you'll be able to see the northern lights too - we couldn't as it was the summer. But the nights will be dark by now I guess so you should catch them!
Hi James,

Great advice. I'll put a car bit in first, the hire was an automatic Yaris (4dr "upgrade" from the 2dr economy manual we ordered). Maybe it's because the last auto I drove for any time was a 2.7 twin turbo Jaguar S-Type diesel, but the gearbox in that Yaris was utterly terrible. The E mode, fully automated was like driving with a drunk working the gears - changing at odd times, lurching when it did and having a swift half between gears. The manual +/- mode was better but no improvement over a proper manual. Good to travel in though, ate the 300-odd miles we put onto it no problem over a variety of roads and tracks easily enough.

We got to Gullfoss and Geyser, both very good. Thingvellir was OK but no great shakes after the other two. Would have loved to do the full circuit but the gravel bits we did we were enough for me and we only had three days.

Managed to get to the Blue Lagoon and saw the Northern Lights on the first night, quite incredible. Also saw whales and dolphins and the glacier and the Icelandic Football team. Not bad for the time we were there.

If anyone gets the chance to go over soon, I'd recommend it - the Krona is taking a dive meaning fuel is cheaper than here (crowbarring motoring links) so it's not as eyewateringly expensive as it has been in the past. I wouldn't take a taxi from the airport to Reykjavik though, it's about 60 kms....There are a lot of bored looking journalists about though.

Thanks again for all the advice
Lee

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 14/10/2008 at 00:36

Icelandic driving - james86
Glad you enjoyed yourself Lee! It really is a fantastic place.

Just to add one final recommendation for anyone else, the best option from the airport to Reykjavik is the bus (I think called the Flybus). There is a service after each incoming flight and it will take you to your hotel in Reykjavik. As you get on you tell the driver where you want to go and when he has everyone's destinations he will tell you the order of the stops. Very good service and quite cheap - no need to bother with taxis.
Icelandic driving - zarqon
Citroenian

we are off to Iceland on the 25th for 5 nights - booked a Grand Vitara - and we are hoping to get round as many sites as possible.

how did you get round your Euros/banks closed problem? Where all the usual places taking credit cards?

Thanks

MPZ
MPZ

Might be an idea to take your own food; Bloomberg reported yesterday that the Icelanders were stripping the supermarkets bare. With no viable currency; they can't import anything.
MPZ,

Everyone just uses plastic for everything - saw people buying a hotdog and coke (£2.50) with them in the brilliant kiosk in Reykjavik. We took Euros but of course the banks were closed Sat/Sun so we couldn't change them. Should think during the week it wouldn't be a problem.

Saw a few people with dollars and they accepted these at the airport but not sure elsewhere.

Shoehorning a motoring link, no problem buying petrol with chip and pin - fully automated pumps in some places, one terminal for all four pumps but they can change their language to English without too much trouble.

Grand Vitara will be good on the unpaved roads but take care as james hinted above.

You'll have a great time, we absolutely loved it. The Northern Lights are quite something.

Lee

Icelandic driving - XantKing
Been there twice this year, in August and again at the start of this month, just as the financial situation was becoming apparent. Read an Observer story online whilst I was there about panic buying of imported foodstuffs like olive oil, can't say I noticed it at all in the various supermarkets I visited though. Maybe different now, but can't see it being a huge problem, to be honest, the shops were all well stocked, and they produce a surprising amount of fruit and veg themselves, in geothermally-heated glasshouses.

Hired a car both times I was there - can be expensive, but I used comparison sites like Car Rentals and Kayak, and got a decent deal both times - the October trip saw the price fall to just 38 quid a day, and both hires were handled by Avis. Take care where you drive in your hired motor - your insurance won't cover you on roads specified as off-road (think these are prefixed with an F) unless you've hired a 4x4, and even then, no insurance cover is provided for any vehicle which is lost crossing water.

Booked cheapest category both times (3-door manual with no air con), and got a minor upgrade - 5-door Corsa first time, 5-door Subaru Justy the second, which had air con.

Corsa was standard mid-range spec, with the popular Icelandic option of heated seats! Justy was very well equipped, had a nice ride and didn't feel like a small car, but the three-cylinder, 1.0 engine (same as Aygo, 107 and C1, I believe) was rough under anything more than gentle acceleration, and felt quite gutless too. Gearbox was a bit naff also.

One thing to look out for - daylight running headlights are compulsory in Iceland, and not all cars are wired to automatically put the lights on with the ignition - drove half a day in the Justy before I realised this was the case!

Also, speeding is quite frowned upon by the police, and many of their cars appear to be fitted with some kind of forward-mounted radar, so that car on the horizon coming towards you might already be clocking you speeding before you see what it is!

Max speed limit anywhere is 90kph, although I believe there are plans to up this on the country's best road - the dual carriageway between the airport at Keflavik and Reykjavik itself (Reykjavik does have its own airport on the edge of the city, but it's for domestic flights usually - international flights land at Keflavik, some 30 miles or so from Reykjavik). This dual carriageway is still not finished along its entire length, though, and the signs and markings at contraflows is not quite up to UK standards, so be careful, especially in the dark!

The main roads around Reykjavik are generally broad boulevards of sorts, but in the old town centre, can be fairly narrow with speed bumps. Red light cameras also exist at major junctions on the broad boulevards, but I didn't see a single fixed speed camera, although warning signs are posted occasionally on the main Route 1 round the island.

Route 1 is largely single carriageway, but has overtaking lanes on gradients which can last for miles. The quality of roads is OK, but can be fairly undulating, but then, this is a geologically active country! I wouldn't say the road to Geysir and Gulfoss on the Golden Circle is unmetalled, but it does have short sections of compacted fine gravel, a bit like a country road here that's just been resurfaced. The road to Thingvellir is partially unmade, though.

I'd urge you to go beyond the main tourist route there, though, and don't be put off by the appearance from the road of towns like Selfoss and Vik - the truck stops and farm machinery showrooms soon peter out, and as you head along the south coast, you pass some spectacular waterfalls and volcanic landscapes. We headed east to Jokulsarlon, about 250 miles from Reykjavik, a glacial lagoon with floating icebergs which are carried out to sea under a suspension bridge. This was frozen for the Jag Vs Aston scene in the Bond flick, Die Another Day. You'll see some spectacular sights along the way too, such as the fingers of the glaciers coming out of mountains, and vast empty plains of black volcanic sand. Wee bit more caution advised on Route 1 here, as some bridges are single track with wooden or metal decks, and any remnants of snow, as there was a fortnight ago, can appear unexpectedly. There's a monument in the form of huge twisted girders to mark the eruption in the mid-90s of a volcano under the glacier nearby - the resultant glacial floods swept the bridge away and blocked the road for a long time.

Also keep an eye on fuel, petrol stations are few and far between in some areas. As mentioned, these can often be entirely automated, even during the day. You'll sometimes be asked to put in a max amount, just stick the highest you expect it to be, you shouldn't be charged for the whole amount if you put less in. Many petrol stations have cafes attached, which although not sophisticated, are cheapish and easy. Petrol was about 180 ISK a litre, diesel about 200.

As also mentioned, everyone pays for everything with cards - even a round in the pub. Doesn't take too much looking around to find pints (well, half litres!) for 600 ISK, about 3 quid at current rates. Check out a free paper called Grapevine, available in many pubs and shops - it's in English and has a section on what pubs are currently charging for beer!

As for cars you'll find there, it's a real curious mix - a legacy of the landscape and the American base which was still there until only a few years ago. Huge 4x4s, including giant Japanese and American models not really seen here, loads of modified examples with giant axles and tyres, a fair few old Yank Tanks, Buicks, Chevys, etc, mostly all getting on a bit. Best way to view this assortment is to hang about the main drag in Reykjavik on a Friday and Saturday night - it's just a long but narrow poky one-way street which changes names three times along its length, but the younger generation like to show off their metal at night, during what is referred to as the Runtur. This literally means something like Round Tour, and is a quaint modern equivalent of the American cruising scene of the 1950s! Nightlife is fairly raucous at weekends, and goes on till around 7am!

Standards of Icelandic driving are generally OK, but expect tailgating, and a few roadside warnings of the dangers of foolhardy driving take the form of actual wrecked cars from fatal accidents.

One last tip - buy some booze at the duty free when you arrive if you anticipate drinking outside of pubs and clubs at any point - the state-owned off licences keep short hours and expensive prices, and Keflavik is one of the few airports in the world with a duty free shop in arrivals - although the guards at customs will usually take a peek in your Duty Free bag to make sure you don't exceed the limits on the way out of baggage reclaim. Best beer for my money was called Viking!

Oh, and yes, the ladies, they are indeed fine!

Oh, another last tip - it's a very windy place, keep hold of your car door when opening it! I nearly lost mine in the car park of the Blue Lagoon, would have hated to have to explain that to the hire company!

Edited by XantKing on 16/10/2008 at 19:20