Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - hot-diga-dee
Hi I'm looking to get and Audi A4 avant diesel with less than 50k on the clock for less than 9k.

I want it to be under 5years old and would absolutly love a new shape one. I have been scouring ebay and autotrader for the last couple of week and the fewI have seen are gone almost straight away or have turned out to be dogs.

Is it possible to get this car for the money I have?

Any trader/audi dealers out there recently took one in part ex?

I know it's a long shot but after all it is a buyers market at the minute. (or so they keep telling me)

Thanks,

Pete.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Gromit {P}
I don't meant to be flippant, but visit your local Skoda dealer. Ask to test drive an Octavia 1.9 TDI (i.e. the proven PD engine) in Elegance trim.

Bar the badge, you'll get exactly what you asked for, and the interior won't be black as a coal-face as most Audis are. There are the RS, Scout and L&K variants to consider too if you want quick 4wd, limited off road ability or even higher trim levels.

We run a 318 saloon (Sunday car) and a Scenic (dog car). I test drove an E200 auto estate a few weeks back thinking that, when either has to go, a comfy estate could be a good replacement for both. Agreeable though the Benz was, I walked away thinking I'd be mad to buy one when I'd have a Superb and an Octavia estate of similar age and mileage for the same money.

Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - oldnotbold
It might be a buyers market, but this is just the make/model that will still sell well in the current climate. Buyer's market car would be a one year old Range Rover petrol model!
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Alby Back
I was listening to the radio in the car yesterday evening. There is a slot on of the national network programmes where lady drivers are invited to ring in and describe their cars. One silly contributor said that she was wishing she had a bag to wear over her head because she was driving a hired Skoda Octavia instead of her customary Audi something-or-other. Just goes to show that some people are still not convinced. From my point of view she was indeed making a fool of herself but not for the reason she thought.....

;-)
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - RichardW
Funny, I too was screaming "but a Skoda's an Audi and vice-versa" at the radio too... :-))

The fact the OP cannot find what he wants suggests that it is pie in the sky and is not available - it's only a buyer's market if the cars are for sale!
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - daveyjp
"The fact the OP cannot find what he wants "

27 on autotrader matching OPs requirements (except desire for a new model as thats only been out a few weeks, I suspect they mean facelifted old model).

After sitting in a new Superb and a new A4 Avant and A6 Avant within 10 minutes of each other I can say that from the bits you see and have to live with looking at every day a Skoda is not an Audi.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - NowWheels
After sitting in a new Superb and a new A4 Avant and A6 Avant within
10 minutes of each other I can say that from the bits you see and
have to live with looking at every day a Skoda is not an Audi.

If the addition of a few softer plastics or whatever makes that much difference to you, then feel free to use your cash to drive up the cost of used Audis while cannier buyers get bargains at the Skoda shop :)
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - mlj
A few years ago I went to have a look at an Audi A3, half serious about swapping my Seat Leon for a supposedly superior product. It would have cost me around £10K. I sat in the car, in the showroom, and was pretty disappointed. The quality was no better than the SEAT. I accept that this was a perception and entirely subjective, but given the mechanical similarities and shared components, I was left with the feeling that I was being asked to pay an awful lot of money for a badge and a name.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Alanovich
I was left with
the feeling that I was being asked to pay an awful lot of money for
a badge and a name.

Hooray. Another one for our side. :-)
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - mlj
PS ; In the Backroom tradition of answering a question by suggesting something totally different, a quick search finds a Mazda 6 Estate, 136ps, 40K miles, leather, BOSE hifi, climate control etc,etc '05 model at a dealer for 8995. probably obtainable for 8500. Why scour Ebay for a badge?

Edited by mlj on 08/10/2008 at 16:30

Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - oldnotbold
In all reality, a sub 50k, sub 5 year diesel isn't that likely - implies sub 10k pa, low by modern standards.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Gromit {P}
Agreed, oldnotbold - I'd have expected the 50,000 miles to be covered in less than 2 years (otherwise why would most new car buyers opt for diesel).

Whether you can get that for £9,000 and whether you can get a trustworthy service history to demonstrate the car hasn't been thrashed in the process are another matter!

PS: I didn't choose the Octavia at random as an alternative suggestion, having travelled in or driven an assortment of A4s, Leons, Passats, Superbs and Octavias. All I'm suggesting is that if the OP can't find the Audi he wants at the price he's willing to pay, that he tries the Skoda alongside an Audi. He can apply exactly the same logic to a Golf estate. Then its for him to judge whether they're different enough to pay the premium for Audi.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - andyfr
Agreed oldnotbold - I'd have expected the 50 000 miles to be covered in less
than 2 years (otherwise why would most new car buyers opt for diesel).

Both our cars are diesel, bought new and we cover just 8,000 a year in each. We change at around 5 years and 40,000 miles. We have driven diesel since the early 90s, it's not just about the costs but the pleasure of driving diesel. We just love the low down torque!
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Paul G1pdc
I work in the traffic safety sector and our service guys have just changed from mid-sized 4x4s to octavia 4x4 estate cars they give 40+mpg with fully loaded boots of equipment and the feed back is there nice cars. One guy who is based in Yorkshire covers 5k in a month, none of the cars, so far as even had a silly fault and they seem to be very pleased with them.
paul.
on a personel note a few years back when my wife wanted her first (and only new car) we had a 7k budget. we looked at fiesta,yaris,polo,ibiza,fabia,206
the ibiza offered the best kit and largest engine out of the lot.
for the price we could have had a base model yaris 1litre
base model 206 with black bumpers and wind up windows and 2 speaker radio
etc etc
or a seat ibiza 1.4 with climate control,alloys,4 speaker radio etc etc....

Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Mapmaker
Should be easily done. The trade-in on this (Glass's valuation) would allow a dealer to make a respectable profit.

Audi A4 Avant SE
1.9TD Diesel 5-door Estate
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2003 53
Mileage: 50,000
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £7460
Average condition £6740
Below average condition: £5990

Seems like a heck of a lot of money for a 5 year old car, though, when an identical Mondeo with 100k could be yours for a shade over a couple of thousand.

Thirty-six things I could do with £7,000:

1. Eat out. A lot.
2. Go on holiday. Several times.
3. Drink nicer claret. Regularly.
etc.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - whoopwhoop
Funny how Skoda and Seat drivers use every opportunity available to try and convince the rest of the world that their cars are actually Audi's with a Skoda/Seat badge on! Must be an inferiority complex or something!

Utter drivel!

Everything from the grade of steel in the panels through to the thickness of the sound deadening, to the quality of the leather, to the degree of engineering to the thickness of the paint is far superior on an Audi. Even the engines, whilst essentially the same design, are better engineered on Audi (higher quality components etc).

There's nothing at all wrong with a Skoda or a Seat, but don't try and convince the world that it's anything that it isn't.... because it just makes you sound silly!

PS I shall now depart this thread and let those of an inferior disposition retort amongst themselves... "Calm down dear... it's only a Skoda (/Seat) !"

Edited by whoopwhoop on 08/10/2008 at 18:38

Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Alby Back
I have never owned a Skoda. I have no future plans to own one but do not discount the possibility at some stage if there was a suitable vehicle in the range at a time when I might need one. ( A Superb Estate might sway me for EG )

I have no negative feelings towards them but nor do I have any positive ones. They exist and I bear them no emotion at all.

However, I happen to live 5 miles away from the Bentley plant. Many of my friends and neighbours are in some way connected with that business. One of their most senior managers, a German chap, lives next door to me. He can have any model from the VAG range as his company car. Apparently up to a limit beyond which he pays the difference. He has spent many years as an engineer, test driver and latterly senior manager within the VAG group. In other words a man who knows his motors.

He drives a Skoda.

Maybe they are quite good. He seems to think so. I wouldn't know.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - NowWheels
Even the engines whilst essentially
the same design are better engineered on Audi (higher quality components etc).

Are you really sure about that? ISTR that Aprilia, who knows a lot about the manufacturing process and used to post here regularly, said that the components were the same.

It seems to me that the economies of scale would be seriously undermined if an engine variant (say the 140bhp 2.0 TDI) was produced with different sets of components depending on which VAG marque it was destined for.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - hot-diga-dee
Hi and thanks for the replies.

Firstly I wouldn't have any qualms what so ever buying a Skoda IF I Liked any of the models they offer but the long and short of it is I'm just not keen on the look of em.

There have been one or two cars matching my requirements but unfortunately have been too far away or not hung around long.

Other cars I like are the Mazda 6 (new shape), Passat (new shape), and Volvo V50.

I must have cruise control too as I do 25k a year and would be lost without it.

What are the jag x-type diesel estates like? I would imagine service and repair costs are expensive?

Should start look towards the auction houses for the audi, could I pick one up at a reasonable price there?

Thanks,

Pete.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - adverse camber
Even the engines whilst essentially
the same design are better engineered on Audi (higher quality components etc).
PS I shall now depart this thread and let those of an inferior disposition retort
amongst themselves... "Calm down dear... it's only a Skoda (/Seat) !"

That first bit is total rubbish. I've bought replacement parts for Audis from Audi, VW and Skoda dealers using the audi part number. I've never seen any difference in the part quality, frankly it would be laughable for a company like VAG to use different quality components in identical situations but in different cars.

And I speak as someone who has owned several audis and no (vw) skodas.
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - whoopwhoop
frankly it would be laughable for a company like VAG to use different
quality components in identical situations but in different cars.

Oh really? Prepare to laugh.

1.9Tdi Skoda - no synchromesh fitted on reverse gear (generally).
1.9Tdi Audi - Synchromesh fitted on reverse (generally).

Of course, there are hundreds of components which are shared and identical... but Audi also use many different (better) components than Skoda/Seat.

Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - George Porge
The A4 is'nt based on the Octavia platform either

A4, Passat, Superb

A3, Golf, Leon, Octavia, Beetle, TT, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - adverse camber
You specified engines mr whoopwhoop.

You specified different quality of components.

I'm waiting to hear of the different quality castings used in skoda cylinders? Or something else which demonstrates differnt quality engineering of components rather than packaging.

Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - Paul G1pdc
the Ibiza 1.4 we owned had the same 1.4 engine as the polo....
even the plastic engine cover was the same, the only difference was a Seat sticky badge in the middle of the plastic engine cover rather than a vw one...
they both had weak gear boxes!!!!
paul.
Had a 205 years ago, and that of course shared many parts with the AX even the radiator fuse box had the citreon "v" on it...
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - woodster
Mapmaker - total sense, my sort of man!! Think I'm gonna pour in a minute...
Got to be a Skoda for me too, nobody likes you for your car, doesn't improve your relationships, and they all take money, some more than others. All those cab drivers can't be wrong. And Rioja, Mapmaker, Rioja. You're in the wrong country, friend!
Wanted: Audi A4 Avant under 9k - barchettaman
In reply to the OP, the services of Joe Dowd have been highly recommended if you are looking to buy at auction. Google him with 'auction buyer' .
Best of luck.

Mapmaker, you should really look at the reds of the Languedoc - Roussillon. Miles better value than that thin, overpriced Borbeaux rubbish ;-)