Quiet tyres... - svpworld
Hi all again!

Since I am in the process of replacing either 2 or all 4 of my tyres, I've been searching the net to find out the best in terms of low noise tyres to fit my Vauxhall Omega. Size is 195/65/15 and so far I have narrowed the choice to the following:

Bridgestone SF411
Yokohamaha AVS dB
Kumho Ecsta HP4 716
Pirelli P6000

Does anyone have any experience of any of these brands, or recommend an alternative? Primary importance is low noise!

Regards
Simon
Quiet tyres... - Markymarkn
I use Pirelli P6000's. After lots and lots of research on the internet these turned out to be on average second only to Bridgestones, but the bridgestones are a *lot* more expensive. No problem at all with them yet and they're very grippy.

IIRC my 195/55/r15 were about £45/50 each.

Mark.
Quiet tyres... - blank
www.mytyres.net and www.tyres-online.co.uk have some good tyre test info.

The Focus I drive regularly with P6000's seems very good indeed to me, but any tyre noise is drowned out by the clatter and turbo whine from the diesel lump up front.

Have P6000's now been superceded by P6's? Or am I wrong?

hth
Andy
Quiet tyres... - blank
ps. Forgot to say that when replacing my Mondeo's tyres recently I was put off buying P6000's by some adverse comments posted here regarding them being prone to punctures.

Also that ATS are doing very good prices on Michelin XH1's at the moment, but I found a better deal from a local garage for 4 Conti Ecocontacts £200 for 4 195/60 VR15's incl valve, balance and VAT
I hear mixed reactions on the P6000's , some saying they are quiet and others not. The EcoContacts sound to be popular also with many members of this group, has anyone heard them against p6000's? I dont know how much reduction in noise to expect from changing tyres, and as they arent wide profile (only 195) I dont suppose it would be significant.
Quiet tyres... - ian B
I can't tell you which is the quietest tyre, but I can tell you that Dunlop Sports are very noisey. Bridgestone Potenza's are much quieter.
Quiet tyres... - Steve S
Agree the Potenzas are quiet but it's the old hard v soft thing. The Bridgestones are soft, quiet & grippy but the trade off is they won't last. A front wheeler will scrub the tread off those in 10-12k, I had some on a T4 once.

Conti's are reckoned to be quiet but SWMBO had some on a sports car and found them noisy and not particularly good in the wet.

I'm using Michelin Pilot Sports now and find them to be quiet, grippy and lasting longer.
Thanks everyone,
I've spoken to my tyre fitters and after a lot of reading and searching, I've decided to get another pair of P6000's fitted to the front, replacing the odd pair on there now! Having them fitted Friday so I'll let you know the outcome in the evening!
Price with fitting and balancing was £55 each, so seems ok to me.

Regards
Simon
Now had P6000's on front and back of the Omega (195/65/15) for 2 days and I am amazed at the improvement over the odd pair before (read my earlier post)! The car is much smoother and quieter than before, less tyre noise and even soaks up the road surface and bumps better. Maybe there are even quieter tyres than the 6000's, but will have to wait until I change the full set before I find out! I'm very pleased with these, though need to experiment a little with the pressures to see if it improves things. Should I stick to the manufacturers 32psi all around, or ease off to say 30psi? Any comments on varying pressures? Of course I know its dangerous if they are too low, and conversely too high.

S.
Quiet tyres... - smokie
Sorry...been on hols...

I had P6000s on Omega MV6. At 25k miles the car was tramlining badly. (Tyres may have been originals but were nowhere near limit). After changing other things unsuccessfully, swapped all four for BF Goodrich which cured the problem and 20k miles later seem to be wearing OK. They aren't exactly budget, but were a lot cheaper than P6000s
Quiet tyres... - jud
I have P6000s on my A4 225/45/17 and couldn't claim that they are quiet or not, but they are prone to tramlining probably due to the profile. However i have recently had both rears over the last 3 months punctured, one i had patched only to find two side wall bubbles appear after the tyre was refitted, the other was a right off.(both tyres nearly new!).
To me the tyres give an impression of weakness and i wouldn't recommend low profile tyres, they seem prone to side wall bubbles, on the last service a half worn front was found with a side wall bubble on the inside wall.
Over 3 years and 17,000 miles i have had 5 punctures and two tyres with side wall bubbles, perhaps i have been unlucky?