Prison for Goalkeeper - Ben 10
Drink driving
Speeding
Dangerous driving
Tiredness
Arrogance?

Two young innocent children killed. Their father, a broken back.
Charges admitted. Guilty verdict.

Is 7 years 4 months in jail fair? I don't think so. The maximum could have been 14 years. With good behaviour he could be out in 3.5 years. He did not show good behaviour prior to the incident so why shouldn't he serve his time. Its about time ANY sentence given is served. But in this case, he should have got at least 14. Then with the current "good boy" system he could have made parole at 7 years. The sentence handed down yesterday, in full.

This could have happened to anyone of us travelling on the M6 that day. At some point he would have hit someone or something, and eventually he did. Its a shame he didn't crash without involving other parties, but he did. So he needs to pay the price.

My heart goes out to the boys' family, as it should have been a pleasant day out that turned into a nightmare. No sympathy for the goalkeeper in question. No wonder there is anger at his sentence.
Prison for Goalkeeper - motorprop
definitely. But for the grace of God we all think. Another killing footballer , Lee Hughes , got 6 years for drink drive killing , was signed for a new club whilst still in prison. Absolute disgrace, on him, the system, and the new club that signed him up.
Prison for Goalkeeper - Old Navy
Giving the so called legal system in this country discression should work both ways. IMO they got this one wrong, it makes maximum jail terms pointless, and anyway the prisons are better than some of the accomodation provided for our armed forces. Im all for a concrete box with a small hole for food in, and one for waste out. The scrotes would learn fast.
Prison for Goalkeeper - TheOilBurner
Lots of people make dumb mistakes, but surely if they've paid for them with time in prison, shouldn't they be allowed to get a job doing whatever it is they do best afterwards?

Otherwise they just become a burden on society.

I'm not saying that I have any sympathy with these idiot footballers who've killed and injured as they have, just that after they've done their time, they shouldn't have to expect to be unemployed and useless for the rest of their lives, should they?
Prison for Goalkeeper - Falkirk Bairn
He was originally also charged with driving whilst uninsured.

This was dropped despite the Police database said the car was uninsured but he provided an insurance certificate later on which showed that he / the car was insured.

How many of us are driving around insured, and the PNC says otherwise!
I recently renewed my insurance, same broker different underwriter, off the database for 7 days.
How many of us are driving around insured and the PNC says otherwise!
Prison for Goalkeeper - midlifecrisis
Not being pedantic..but it's not the 'Police database'. It's a motor insurance database that the Police have access to.

As someone quite close to this incident, I know the hard work that went into preparing the case. I just hope he uses the time to reflect.
Prison for Goalkeeper - Falkirk Bairn
Not being pedantic..but it's not the 'Police database'. It's a motor insurance database that the
Police have access to.

If the Police Use it / rely on it it is up to them to come down hard on Ins Cos that do not update the system in a timely manner.

My son's car was insured but it took 3 x reminders from him - 2 x telephone + 1 x letter to get his LLoyds Syndicate Insurer to update it!
Prison for Goalkeeper - GJD
Otherwise they just become a burden on society.

Goodness! You mean things like making sure they leave prison and start to contribute taxes rather than consume them? And that they're inclined not to create more victims by reoffending? I can't see that catching on at all. How would I ever find an outlet for my vehement, self-righteous bile if I can't poke them with sticks and gloat at them?
Prison for Goalkeeper - Mapmaker
Lee Hughes
got 6 years for drink drive killing was signed for a new club whilst still
in prison. Absolute disgrace on him the system and the new club that signed him up...

... because it would clearly have been better for all of us if either:

1. He had been given life and we paid 100k per annum (or whatever it is) in perpetuity to keep him in prison; or

2. He had been prevented from having anything more than a minimum wage job for the rest of his life so that we have to pay him benefits and he never pays taxes.

Please think before making ridiculous observations like that! The best way he can continue to pay his debt to society is to pay the taxes to repay the costs of keeping him in prison. In order to do this, he needs a highly-paid job.
Prison for Goalkeeper - NowWheels
Its about time ANY sentence given is served

Very bad idea. Parole has two very important functions: it gives prisoners an incentive for good behaviour in prison, making prisons safer and more manageable places ... and it gives prisoners a real motive to reform their approach. I'd far prefer that a prisoner comes out early having been forced to confront their offending behaviour (and learn some life-skills such as literacy, which a huge number of prisoners lack) than that they serve full term and come out as unrepentant hardcore miscreants with an extra chip on their shoulder about a system that wouldn't give them a break.

It would be a huge mistake to treat repentant criminals the same way as those determined to reoffend.
Prison for Goalkeeper - Big Bad Dave
You're on fire this week NowWheels, you've said a couple of things that have made me question my points of view.
Midlifecricis - If I drive my car across your patch (I live in Scotland) with no documents and my car is not on the MIB database, but registration ties up with the name and address I give and I have a bus pass (photo ID) does common sense prevail or do I get my car siezed.

Edited by Old Navy on 07/10/2008 at 13:42

Prison for Goalkeeper - midlifecrisis
I don't see what relevance the car being in your name and address has to do with it. Lot's of uninsured cars are registered to the driver.

If it's during the day, we'll ring your insurance company. If we have any doubt, we will give you a producer. If we're sure..you might just need your bus pass. :)
Thanks Midlife, worth knowing, as I was insured but off the database for a week. I dont think my bus pass works that far south!

Edited by Old Navy on 07/10/2008 at 14:03

Prison for Goalkeeper - Westpig
one of the reasons someone will not receive a maximum sentence for pleading guilty is the fact they've acknowledged their guilt...one part of the process

and... not put witnesses, victims through the trauma of having to give evidence

or.. not cost the state a serious amount of money to have a full trial

there will always be discounts for a guilty plea
Prison for Goalkeeper - colino
Although I don't know him, I'm sure that he didn't jump into his car with intention of taking lifes and maiming. Hence I suppose the justification for a discounted sentence.
I'm dismayed though that the balance of punishment has lost out to our continuum of rehabilitation. No matter how sorry he is, no matter how much tax he will pay in the future, the actual time he serves seems paltry to the horrific outcome of his actions.
Prison for Goalkeeper - Ben 10
Can you clear this one up Westpig. Did he plead guilty from day one of arrest or actually in court after all the evidence and witnesses had given evidence. If the latter then it was a move to get a lower sentence at the last moment. A tactic many scrotes use.

And I can give you an example where I was called as a witness at a RTC involving a police traffic car. The fault lay with the idiot who crashed into him. On the day of the court case I and 3 others witnesses arrived at court. Only to be told, he had pleaded guilty so we were not needed. A whole waste of everybodys time if only he had pleaded before it went to court. He too got off lightly, because he admitted the charges. Too late in my book. Still should have got the full penalty.

Edited by scribe on 07/10/2008 at 15:46

Prison for Goalkeeper - Sulphur Man
His punishment is effectively for life, whether behind bars or not. His club fired him, he almost certainly has no other work experience or skills, and he's banned from driving for the forseeable future. Plus he's a marked man, recognisable in the street and might have to move well away from his present area. He might end up missing prison once he's released.
can't see it SM...the football industry is not exactly well known for standing on its' morals. I'd imagine that once he's nearly out his agent will sort himself a deal with a club that urgently needs a goalkeeper...and that will be that

..and having come from a Championship Club that usually end up mid table, if not a bit higher, i should think he'd still be worth a bit as well...3.5 years, or even sooner sometimes, isn't that long even if footballers have to retire early
Prison for Goalkeeper - Lud
Unless the young man is very callous indeed he will feel guilty about this for the rest of his life.

Some football players are well-rounded, relatively mature characters. Others, who may have done nothing but play football competitively to further their careers since childhood, are really still adolescent in their mid-twenties (and not just footballers actually). Someone who still needs to be helped, advised, reassured, scolded and when necessary frogmarched by his parents, paid a massive salary and released in the company of other rich and irresponsible young men and women, can easily get into the sort of absurd trouble this chap got into and cause a tragedy. A sort of sign of the times.
Prison for Goalkeeper - daveyK_UK
While speed was a factor, surely tiredness and alcohol where bigger influences.
Plus the fact the range rover is very safe and the toyota had little or no safety features.

its to easy for the press and police to focus on the speed when it was not the main issue.
Prison for Goalkeeper - nortones2
The speed and mass of the RR had a lot to do with the fatalities. IIRC, the Toyota was rammed off the road, down a bank, into trees. Trees don't have crumple zones. RR are only safe in the mind of the deluded, especially at high speeds.
Scribe,

Sorry, don't know, but i'd agree with you to a point.

Full 'Sorry, I'm Guilty' right from the word go should be the most leeway.
Last minute reluctant 'I'm Guilty', a little bit of leeway (easier for victims/witnesses and cheaper)
'Not Guilty' and found Guilty should be have the book thrown

Trouble is, there are considerably worse people floating about in our society than this chap. There are far worse offences committed than what he did, which do not receive 7 yrs impt....

Personally i think the sentence was about right, for once...it's just that some of the others ought to be for more. Bottom line was incredible foolishness and maybe arrogance, whilst not thinking straight through alcohol and worrying about a domestic matter...needed to be severely punished for the consequences, (I can't imagine what the family of those two kids are going through)..but not as bad as Rapists, Child Molesters, Burglars who deliberately prey on the elderly and then the elderly lose the will to live or are too scared to leave their homes (think what that must be like), etc, etc all committed by people INTENDING to do it and do not ordinarily give two hoots about others, pay nothing back into the State..absolute complete worthless scum
Prison for Goalkeeper - ifithelps
In reply to Scribe's post on pleas.

Far as I know, the footballer pleaded guilty at the first opportunity he had when the charge was put at a preliminary hearing at crown court - no witnesses would have been called that day.

In general terms, your experience as a witness is sadly typical, may defendants will maintain not guilty pleas in the hope the witnesses do not turn up and the case collapses.

When trial day comes and they're told the witnesses are present, plea is changed to guilty.

This applies particularly in neighbourhood violence cases were everyone knows each other and the witnesses are fearful of reprisals.

Your RTA guy doesn't sound too bright because the chances are the witnesses were not local to him, so he wouldn't be able to exert any influence over them.

Prison for Goalkeeper - Leif
Very bad idea. Parole has two very important functions: it gives prisoners an incentive for
good behaviour in prison making prisons safer and more manageable places ... and it gives prisoners a real motive to reform their approach.

You're right. Without parole, convicted drunk drivers could well continue to drink drive, threatening the safety of fellow inmates. Okay, I am being facetious, but there is a point to be made. Clearly in some cases, such as drink driving, the person would most probably be be well behaved anyway.
Prison for Goalkeeper - sir_hiss
7 years was no where near enough,he'll be out in 3 or so. I'm a big supporter of the team he used to play for, but there's no reference to him in our house any more. He'll never play again and will hopefully will disappear into the midst of time never to seen or heard of again either.
Life sentence for family - Pugugly
Sadly the family will never get to forget him. "He" is drawing disproportionate attention to himself despite being the villain.

Think of them and them alone - his fate is insignificant in all this.

Edited by Pugugly on 08/10/2008 at 22:36

Life sentence for family - oldlag
He got 7yrs for this awful crime, so exactly what have you got to do to get the 14 yrs maximum term ???
This man should have got 14yrs

as for worrying about his later life and work etc dont be absurd, did this man give a seconds thought to the fact than going out on the road fuul of boze and at 100mph was going to kill and maim of course he didnt
so why are some of you even considering worrying about this thug.

real reason I suspect is that an awful lot of drivers go far too fast far too often and dread being the cause of a fatal accident so when a case like this comes up they think what if it had been me in the car killing that family ?
Lets have real sentences and never NEVER let them on the roads again.
Life sentence for family - NowWheels
This man should have got 14yrs

Maybe, maybe not. I dunno, because I didn't read the pre-sentencing report, and I didn't hear how the judge assessed the case when he passed sentence. Since you evidently did read all those things, perhaps you could help us out by explaining where the judge's rationale was mistake?

In general, I'm all in favour of much heavier sentencing for those endanger others by substandard driving. But I'm also a firm believer in the importance of having a judge to decide a sentence on the merits of a particular case. Sentencing to satisfy the mob is a very dangerous path to go down.
Life sentence for family - Collos25
Life in prison anybody who takes away another humans life through alcohol deserves that as a minimum.
Life sentence for family - Westpig
AB,

Far too simplistic.

Imagine someone sat at home, they've had three glasses of normal strength beer, but have yet to eat anything since breakfast and is over the drink drive limit, just...when their elderly female neighbour knocks on theirdoor in a panic, she thinks her hubby is having a heart attack. They nip in, concur and decide the fastest and most efficient way to get him his medical help and hopefully save his life is to drive him 10 mins to hospital.

They do so. En route one of the town centre vagrants always drunk, steps out in front of them and the vagrant is killed. Vagrant turns out to have had severe liver failure anyway and was 3 times the legal drink drive limit if he'd been driving, so well impaired.

Life imprisonment.... i don't think so

(Not saying that course of action was the most wise, just highlighting the difficulties of over simplifying the debate)

p.s. not saying vagrants don't have rights either