Awkward dealer - Kadriver
My friend bought a car around a month ago and is still waiting for the history documents. The second hand car was bought at a so called reputable dealer but the customer service has been extremely poor.
On the first occasion the history document and manual were promised to be sent once they were updated (due to a couple of minor jobs that needed doing before my friend would purchase the car). A couple of weeks later and nothing. After enquiring again the info had been changed on the database and would be sent out. Again nothing. So once again my friend contacted the dealer and it looks like he has fobbed off again. I cant understand why he cant print a copy of the details there and then and hand them over if they are on the database.

Does this history exist? Is he just plain incompetent at his job? How important would it be to have this info?
Anyone any suggestions other than to keep badgering the guy for the paperwork?
Awkward dealer - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you are talking about the service record/book the selling dealer can only complete it if he has access to the main compter of the manufacturer of the car, SFAIK. Similarly, he will not have access to invoices and bills for work done on the car unless he, the selling dealer, carried out the work. I can see that your friend wants and needs the information but he may be asking the wrong person.
Awkward dealer - spikeyhead {p}
The salesman has already had his commission. He'll do no more work unless he's forced to.
Awkward dealer - bbroomlea{P}
Salesman will say anything to get a signature on dotted line. Oldest trick in the book to say the service history is in the post!!

When we bought SWMBO's MINI Cooper, the book and history was missing. I refused to complete the deal until the car was SOLD with the history that it was advertised. Guess what - document wallet, correct history and stamps turned up with print out of all work done in the dealer network!
Awkward dealer - Kadriver
I know the person in question was a bit silly in accepting the car without all the paperwork. It wouldnt have happened had i been there.
Any thoughts on a possible way of getting hold of the documents?
Awkward dealer - bbroomlea{P}
How old is the car? Does it have or should it have a dealer service history? There is a chance that the invoices are still on the dealers computer network and probably a nice word in the sales managers ear will resolve it. I had lost my history for my Audi and they sent me all of the invoices but it was always done in their network. If the car they bought wasnt from a franchised network or serviced in one then you may struggle
Awkward dealer - Armitage Shanks {p}
I gave you some ideas in the first reply to your post. What make is the car? Is it still under any maker or dealer warranty ie less than 3 years old? Is the dealer who sold it an agent for that make of car? If your friend has the V5 they could contact the former owner and ask some questions. It could be that the documentation was not given to the dealer by the seller.