2002 1.7 Is the cambelt going? - audiA6tdi
Hi
i have an astra 1.7 dti 02 plate. The car has done 124k miles and has no service history with it. Its an ex company car so i beleive the car has been serviced (im trying to get hold of the history)
When accelorating the car makes a sligth squeeling noise (soudns a bit like a fanbelt noise)

Could this be the cambelt? Do they make this noise when they are about to pop?
The belt was due to be changed at 100k miles or ten years. Also does anyone know where the belt is positioned on these cars.

Thanks in advance
David

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2008 at 13:28

2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - jc2
No;it'll just break-no warning!!
2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - Victorbox
Most people buying a used car with a reasonable mileage and no service evidence would factor in the cost of an immediate cambelt change (plus a service) as a matter of course. You need to get belt & rollers changed now so you have a baseline point going forward.
2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - kingfisher
The belt is underneath the plastic cover that can be seen on left hand end of engine..top of plastic cover is a couple of inches to left of oil filler cap..
2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - audiA6tdi
ive brought the car for £850 and its a great little runner. I think il get the cambelt done asap!
2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - Dynamic Dave
If its an ex company car, then chances are it will have had the belt changed (unless you've owned it before the recommended change interval occured?). Before diving in with both feet, try and track down the service history or get a trustworthy mechanic to see if the belt *looks* relatively new, or if there is something else making the noise. The squealing noise could just be the drive belt for the alternator and aircon compressor. If it is the drive belt, then a simple test of sprinkling some talc or a squirt of WD40 on it should mute it for a short while.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2008 at 19:55

2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - yorkiebar
Although most of DD's advice above is good, I suggest not relying on "sight" of the belt to ascertain if it looks new or not.

Have seen 5 year old belts looking virtually brand new.

Have proof of it having been changed or change it, is the only sensible advice!
2002 1700 Is the cambelt going on my astra? - Dynamic Dave
Have proof of it having been changed or change it is the only sensible advice!

Yes, in hindsight you're right.

Hopefully there *might* be some other tell tale signs that is has been changed; rounded off bolt heads, fittings shinier than others, etc. But if in any doubt, then as per what's been suggested. This won't however necessarily guarantee the squeal will be silenced. You really need to get someone competent to have a listen and give their opinion.