05 1.9 tdi Vivaro Starting then dying immediately - geller_iom
I have been having loads of trouble with my van but recently was under powered and turbo not kicking in till around 2600 revs and glow plugs light coming on occasionally.
Put it into a garage no codes found but I asked them to check fuel filter as I had heard horror stories of filings and destroyed high pressure fuel pumps all was ok on that front.

Finally got codes by driving around with comp plugged and codes suggested excessive exhaust gases so EGR valve was taken out and cleaned found to be sticking but was put back in until new part arrived. Van dropped back at my house that evening. Next morning started van ok drove less than a mile stopped van. An hour or so later went to start van it 'fired up' and then died immediately this happened 2 or 3 times. Finally got it going with my foot on the floor as I turned it over and it slowly picked up after firing.

Back the garage for new EGR and turbo boost solenoid seem to have fixed the power issue but still fails to start properly. Giving it heat 2 or 3 times seems to work but it always used to be on the button before the EGR was taken out.

Any ideas

Fuel/Air problem from filter change?
Can the EGR affect starting?

Or is it just coincidence and I developed another fault while the other work was being done?
05 1.9 tdi Vivaro Starting then dying immediately - Screwloose

Two fuelling systems on the Trafic [and clones.] One had a feed pump; the other sucks fuel into the HP pump.

Any slight leak into the feed line will give your symptom with the latter system.

EGR has no starting influence.
05 1.9 tdi Vivaro Starting then dying immediately - geller_iom
Thanks for the info I will try to push the mechanic in the direction you suggested as he was thinking more on the lines of heater plugs and relays......

Will let you all know the outcome, if I don't torch the thing first.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/10/2008 at 21:21

05 1.9 tdi Vivaro Starting then dying immediately - Screwloose

The heater plugs are not used pre-start unless it's extremely cold - most have at least one plug gone and have never noticed.
05 1.9 tdi Vivaro Starting then dying immediately - Vivaro den
Two fuelling systems on the Trafic [and clones.] One had a feed pump; the other sucks fuel into the HP pump. Any slight leak into the feed line will give your symptom with the latter system. EGR has no starting influence.

wonder if you could help me i have a vivaro 1.9 cdti and its smoking so bad at the back and a crackling noise coming from the back aswell, iv had numerous mechanics tell me its the egr valve . i have been taking it out and cleaning it and putting it back in then it was going ok for a week and then it gets sluggish and cuts out and smokes again . everytime i take the egr valve out its full of black oily grease and looks like carbon sticking, i have bought a new egr valve and the black carbon and grease has still got to the egr valve so back to square one again. i would love to know where the black stuff is coming from and getting to the egr valve???? my van is running ok so far as the A.A have reversed my egr valve and is sitting in the wrong position but its working fingers crossed,,, but obviously i need to sort it out any ideas?????