01 1.2 Cambelt Replacement - adampbrown
My 2001 Punto has 53,000 miles on the clock and a local mechanic has advised that I should have the cambelt replaced as he diagnosed a high pitched hum on acceleration as the bearing wearing.

I would appreciate it if somebody could offer advice on the following:

1) Does that sound like a sensible diagnoses?
2) How much should I aim to pay for a cambelt replacement?
3) I have heard advice that I should have the water pump replaced at the same time - why is this? Are the timing belt and water pump connected in some way on this model?

Advice on any or all of the above would be much appreciated.
01 1.2 Cambelt Replacement - big davey
Hi, the water pump is driven by the tining belt but if there is no signs of water leaking from the gland, i would just leave well alone, this is a safe engine, (asuming its a 8 valve engine) and its a very easy job to do, should the pump go at a later date. The high pitched hum could well be the tensioner, normally you get hum if you tension a new belt to tight.Be sure to put a kit on and not just a belt. I quite often replace water pumps on engines when doing timing belts if its a long or difficult job and especially if its a Renault where you always get water stains from the gland. The gland is a little drilled hole in a water pump which allows water, should it get past the seal to run out .

Hope this helps.
Davey
01 1.2 Cambelt Replacement - FT
Hi,

With regards to the cost of a new cambelt and tensioner kit, I paid approximately £120 for mine ('03 1.2 8v). Got this done at Nationwide Autocentre in July '08 at 62K. I agree, it is important to get both done and not just the belt. The garage didn't mention anything about the water pump, but can't see why they would as it would be more a precautionary thing to get changed (and if you've got the extra cash to spend!).