Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Alan
I was on a single carriageway A road behind a Tesco lorry last week in a small queue of cars and he pulled into a layby to let us past which was nice of him and also rather unexpected as the queue was not that big. As this has happened before with a Tesco lorry I wondered if it is a PR policy of tesco to get motorists on their side.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - andyfr
It happens all the time on the A9. If they have anything following they don't drive past more than two laybys. I assume it's company policy as they tend to drive at the correct speed limit for single carriageway which is 45mph I think.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Tron
tinyurl.com/3hlp4j
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - andyfr
I stand corrected, 40mph. Thanks Tron.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - L'escargot
tinyurl.com/3hlp4j

The author seems to have missed the fact that the real solution to getting fewer vehicles on the roads is to have a smaller (and less affluent) population. China has got it just about right in its approach to the problem.

Edited by L'escargot on 02/10/2008 at 14:59

Nice Tesco lorry drivers - madf
China does not have large scale and until recently unrestricted immigration...
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Manatee
It didn't have a small population last time I looked either.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Stuartli
Tesco lorry drivers work on the principle that every little helps.....
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - bathtub tom
I'd often drive through lay-bys when I towed a 'van.

I recall one instance in mid Wales when I'd used several lay-bys to let following traffic past, only to be held up. It was a car towing a small inflatable dinghy - I was behind the mimsers that had declined to pass it. I'm expect they wrote lettes to their respective newspapers to complain about mad caravan towers.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - L'escargot
China does not have ........

It has a restricted birth rate. One child per family is freely allowed, but subsequent births are taxed. Something the UK would do well to emulate.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Pugugly
Something the UK would do well to emulate.

Whose going to look after us when we're old (i.e.pay taxes to pay for essentials) ?

Meanwhile back on topic !
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Dog
Dunno about Tesco lorries but - I was driving along the A30 from Truro to Bodmin at about 8-15am on Monday morn in wet and low light conditions and a M & S heavy job just pulled out on me as I was about to overtake him on a 2 lane carrageway - I have been a lorry drive in my wicked past btw ... I didn't bother flashing or giving him the ooter - he knows the score!

Dog.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Old Navy
Did you have appropriate lights on Dog? Wet + poor light = dipped headlights.

Edited by Old Navy on 03/10/2008 at 13:29

Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Dog
>Did you have appropriate lights on Dog? Wet + poor light = dipped headlights.<

No! I must admit I had my sidelights on and the car is black!!

Dog.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - peanut
I beg to differ. Switzerland has got it right in that it has an effective, efficient and highly usable public transport network. And it's not as if the terrain is on their side, or have a lot of land to play with.

Peanut

Nice Tesco lorry drivers - frazerjp
Being as I work for the big T, the bunch of drivers I meet are rather friendly they're also human beings who are just as frustrated with irate car drivers as some of us are.

Their usual shift consists of two runs going out of the DC, they're given times in their schedule but most of the time they don'tarrive at the store on time due to traffic not that it matters all that much anyway, unless it's 3 hours late. Despite the fact they have "isotrak" in their cabs to track their position, many factors can still hinder their progress on route like traffic & trailers been loaded late etc.. not to mention they're paid by the hour & the route is timed @ 50mph on the motorway.

Just thought I'd give you an insight of what I've been told by different drivers over the past 7 years or so.
Nice Tesco lorry drivers - Harleyman
they're given times
in their schedule but most of the time they don'tarrive at the store on time
due to traffic not that it matters all that much anyway unless it's 3 hours
late. >>

Try doing the same thing if you're delivering into a Tesco RDC! Five minutes past your slot time, and it's off to the back of the queue and wait till the rest have finished; if the staff can be bothered to speak to you at all!

This is the difference of course; your average general haulier is working to a far tighter schedule, where time is literally money. Tesco being the massively profitable organisation that it is, doesn't have to worry about that sort of thing.

Mind you, the home delivery vans don't seem to have the same regard for the national speed limits!