96 2.0 - Central locking devoid of life - Lachk
Hi all, I just aquired a 2.0 auto mk1 and it has a few minor niggles (not that I'm moaning or surprised). Having driven company cars for the last 10 years and getting very used to central locking I keep leaving my car unlocked so would appreciate any help.

I got one key with the car and this was not a ford one, it was a replacement generic key, obviously not remote.

My problem is the car has no central locking from any door, no double locking and no alarm whatsoever.

I have no idea where to start, but will have a damn good fiddle with the right advice.

Thanks in advance for any replies (that aren't rude)

{no need to repeat make/model in subject header as the drop down menu choice does that for you}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/10/2008 at 00:26

96 2.0 - Central locking devoid of life - jc2
The car may never have been fitted with double locking and alarm unless a top of the range model.Most had central locking but not all.
96 2.0 - Central locking devoid of life - elekie&a/c doctor
First stop is to check the fuses.The one for the locking is in the cabin fusebox behind the glovebox.Remote locking or not,the system should still operate from the door locks or inside push/pull flaps.hth
Thanks, It is a Ghia model and has the remote sensors in both front door handles.
Checked the fuse and it is fine - any ideas? Rear passenger door was unlocked from Thurs night until this morning (because I'm forgetful) so any help appreciated.
96 2.0 - Central locking devoid of life - elekie&a/c doctor
This looks like its going to get a bit more involved but here goes.Remove the plastic sill panel that runs along the floor from the drivers footwell and bonnet pull area alongside the drivers seat.Lift the carpet and underlay to expose the wiring harness in the front floor well.Peel off the insulation tape and there should be a crimped wiring joint with red wires attached to it.Hopefully this will be rotten!!This is the main power supply to the cdl system.Make good the connection and with a bit of luck the system will be restored.Btw if you have sensors in the door handles then your car is fitted with the early infra-red remote system.hth
I'm either not looking properly or I'm stupid (both are believable) but I can't see any red wires in the loom. I assume I'm looking at the large run of wires that run parallel to the door approx 3 inches in from the sill. There are plenty of wires (approx 20), but none of them are red. Am I looking in the wrong place?
96 2.0 - Central locking devoid of life - NARU
Look here ...

www.mirez.co.uk/AlarmProbs.htm

and here ...

www.fordmondeo.org/

Edited by Marlot on 06/10/2008 at 16:53