02 2.0 St170 gear problems - richuk2008
Tonight i decided to order myself a k&n typhoon. So me and the missis go for a nice nightime drive. Earlyer in the day mt car seemed a bit reluctant to go into seond gear. After a while everythign went back to normal, Anyway lets get this story back on track on the way back to winchester on teh motorway mt gear shift lever gets all notcy i try to upshift then all of a sudden crack. I try to put it into fith gear but rather than going into 5th it goes straight into 3rd and im unable to get it into 5th or 6th at all so im on the motorway doing 70 in fourth gear. So i take next exit and leave motorway as soon as possible and pull into sainsburys car park. Gear lever just wobbles aimlessly side to side but seem reluctant to go left of neautral centre position at all. Where 3rd gear used to be is now 1st gear where 4th was is now 2nd i drive remaining two miles to girlfriends house in second at 30mph and park on driveway. car now refuses to go into any gear at all.

I think this car is truly cursed i have had nothing but problems with this car since i brought it. Ive spent literally all the money ive earned since i got this car fixing stuff on it.

Now this i have no idea what is wrong with it i unclipped the centre console and had a look at the gear rods but i have no idea what to be looking for. The gear lever has allways been abnormally stiff even compared to other st170s i have driven i even posted this on here a few months ago.

The only thing i saw in the compartment below one of the push pull rods was on the furtherst right one there was a rubber o ring that appeared to be under it and ripped.

any ideas guys

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/09/2008 at 19:39

02 2.0 St170 gear problems - gandaulf
have a look at the linkage near the gearbox it may be a broken bracket