05 1.9dci starting and then cutting out - mrsarcasm
1.9dci 05 45,000, The last 2 mornings the engines started ok and then immediately died after about 2 seconds, on pressing the button again it turns over but doesn?t fire, press it again and it eventually fires up and runs fine although the idle seems very slightly a bit erratic for a few minutes. It drives absolutely fine. No warning lights. Turning it off after a few minutes or when its warm and restarting it starts fine. Staring it up at lunch time or in the evening it also seems fine. It may be me but the last few weeks it does seem to have been turning over slightly longer before it fires up. When I bought the car about 3000 miles ago it had a stamp in the book from a non-Renault Dealer, I changed the oil anyway and have also changed all the glow plugs.

It did this once before about 2 months ago but it was facing up a very steep hill and it rained like a monsoon that night so shrugged it off

Would cleaning the EGR valve have any benefit (I know I should have done this anyway /slaps wrist!), I have no idea if its ever been cleaned before, probably not, I?m also thinking TDC sensor.

Failing that, what could it be?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/09/2008 at 11:21

05 1.9dci starting and then cutting out - DP
The fact that it seems worst after the vehicle has been standing overnight sounds to me like air is getting in to the fuel system while the vehicle is standing. Much of the low pressure fuel pipework on these (around the priming bulb / drivers side inner wing area) on these engines is transparent - can you see any bubbles in it? Does it make any difference if you give the priming bulb a few squeezes before you start it?

Cheers
DP
Thanks for that heads-up, I popped out at lunchtime and had a grope around, I did'nt find many bubbles, but I did find a fuel leak so into the garage tom for that to be done. Hopefully thats the culprit. Will keep you posted.
Again, thanks!
Any luck??

Cheers
DP
Well, my garage could only get the part today so it will have its first cold start tom morn so will let you know then although you'll be no doubt unsurprised to hear that checking the hose in the mornings revealed a lot more air in the pipes that could be purged out than the other day when I first checked it. It looks like they've (Renault) modified the pipe slightly as this ones got some protection round it.

Edited by mrsarcasm on 02/10/2008 at 16:36

Good luck for the morning. It sounds to me like it's starting on the fuel already in the pump and rail, and then it's drawing the air through and stalling.

My old (non common rail) Mondeo used to do the exact same thing after a diesel filter change. It would always start, run for a couple of seconds, then stop. It too would idle erratically as the last bits of air came through.

Hope that's it!

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 02/10/2008 at 20:11

Vroom vroom, Whoo! Started like a dream! Many Thanks.

Edited by mrsarcasm on 03/10/2008 at 11:58

Fantastic!!

Cheers
DP