02 2.0 ST170 - Sudden loss of power - richuk2008
Just had a realy worring thing happen to me with the ST170 focus. On the way to get the girlfriend from work. Just started the car and pulled out of the close where i live. Pulling onto the a road, i suddenly loose about 95% of power from my engiene. At first i thought ive put it into 4th by accident so try putting it into second this is not the issue the car is in 2nd but there was just hardly any power at all from the engiene. It was taking about 5 second for the rpm guage to rise 1000rpm. This happens for about a minuite so i consider turning home then all of a sudden car is back to normal. What i did realise though whlist and after this was happenign was the second oil guage in from the left kept rising and fallign whenever id try to accelarate .id not noticed this before but dunno if this could be a reason for this happening. Im worried guys any ideas?

also if i rev the engine hard as teh revs begin to fall below approximately the 2000 rpm mark i get a suckign noise that appears to be coming from the front of the car and a series of pops from the exhast backbox at teh same time

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/10/2008 at 19:57

02 2.0 ST170 - Sudden Loss Of Power - gandaulf
check any air pipes for splits/leaks
02 2.0 ST170 - Sudden Loss Of Power - djmontara
yea.. definitely sounds like a vacuum leak from somewhere.. have a look at the pcv hose behind the intake manifold..
does ur engine feel rough and lumpy at idle? and are there any codes?
another possibility could be ur MAF... if thats dead, it wouldnt tell the ecu how much air is entering the engine properly and hence itll screw up fuel mixtures and prevent the car from running properly.. but as u mentioned sucking noises, im very certain its a vacuum leak. most likely the pcv hose or the smaller hose behind the throttle body.. these are very common on our focuses..

hope that helps!

matt
02 2.0 ST170 - Sudden Loss Of Power - richuk2008
Doesnt feel rough or lumpy at all buddy. No fault codes at all. Do you know where i would find this pcv hose. And where is the intake manifold im nlost when it comes to technical terms :)
02 2.0 ST170 - Sudden Loss Of Power - djmontara
The PCV hose is basically on the back of the engine.. its a quite a fat hose.. you should be able to see it if you peer behind the intake hose. (the one that connects to your air filter box)
actually.. all the hoses are on the back of the engine.. just find them and trace them.. give them a squeeze.. and see whether they're collapsing.. there are small ones on the back of the throttle body that crack at the T junctions... sorry for the late reply... i haven't checked this thing for ages because nobody seemed to be helping me with my problem.. >< very annoying.. hope that helps.. if you need more help email me on djmontaraathotmail.co.uk that way i wont miss your message

matt ;)

some text talk amended

Edited by Pugugly on 16/10/2008 at 19:31