Child seat on the central rear seat - aaa

Hello.

I have recently got a 5 seater Mazda Premacy.
The user manual says that for safety reasons, babies/children seat should never be fitted on the central-rear seat. So, only 2 child seats at the rear.
It does not explain why the central one should not be used.
There are 3 separate, equal-size seats on the rear, so I cannot explain why It's not allowed to fit 3 children on the 3 rear sits.

My hope is that there must be a device or a special seat for the rear-central seat.

Any help please?

Thanks.

ArcadL
Child seat on the central rear seat - Bromptonaut
Possibly related to air bags in some way? (But it would really help if the manufacturer told you why.
Huntsman Roddy blow your horn, come make the hills reply.
Child seat on the central rear seat - jc2
There is a manufacturer mentioned recently on here that makes an assembly with three seats that is held in place by the outer two seatbelts.
Child seat on the central rear seat - Brian Tryzers
Does the centre seat have a proper three-point seat belt? If not, that would preclude fitting a child seat there - or, to be more sensible, using the middle seat at all. If there is a three-point belt, it may be more to do with the available width in a small car.

I'd also suggest that it makes a difference what kind of child seats you want to fit. A rearward-facing Group 0 baby bucket or a bulky Group 1 seat probably wouldn't be good; a base-only booster is not materially different from a seat-belt point of view from an adult occupant.

It would be sensible to find out what the reason is. Your dealer may have access to a Mazda technical department who could answer this for you.
Child seat on the central rear seat - kerbed enthusiasm
I have the same model car - Premacy on a 52 plate. I should point out that all of the following observations are my own and that it is advisable to erfer to both the car manufacturer and seat manufacturer for accurate advice!

Looking at the owner's manual (table of Section 2-54) indicates that all rear seats will accommodate a child seat, with the exception of a rear facing group 1 seat - which I wouldn't have thought exists.

I suspect that you have found a reference to the Isofix bars which are fitted to the outer seats only.

I use the centre seat for the child seat by choice. It is fitted using the three-point seatbelt (a major reason for buying the car several years ago). I work on the theory that the centre rear seat is as close to the middle of the car as possible and is therefore less likely to suffer intrusion in the event of an accident. We have also found that, by seating our daughter in the middle seat, she is less likely to be travel sick. The high rear seat means that she has an unobstructed forward view and due to the Premacy's tendency to roll in cornering she suffers less sideways motion.

The child seat sits firmly, especially when the seat belt is taken to its limit, wrapped around the anchor points on the child seat and then allowed to retract. This effectively locks it into position.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for all for your kind helps.

In fact, the car has driver and passenger airbags as well as two side airbags.

The central rear seat has lap and shoulder belt.

For "kerbed enthusiasm":

In fact, it seems that we have slightly different models.
The table your are referring to in section 2-54 is section 2-71 in my manual
(please see the image at
img218.imageshack.us/img218/9997/childseat03vs7.gif
). was manufactured in 2000, It's a 2.0 Gxi Tdi.
The table in the image above shows that the rear central seat is not intended for chil seat.

Many thanks.

ArcadL.
Indeed it does ArcadL, thank you for the information. I know that the Premacy was revised shortly before my model was launched and my table basically features S's where yours shows X's. Rather worrying, I have to say, that the original has this shortfall: it's an MPV after all and one would imagine that it ought to be capable of housing three child seats in the rear. I can't imagine what structural changes Mazda could have implemented in the revision that now makes the middle seat acceptable for child seats. Nevertheless my manual seems adamant that all is fine with most child seats in the middle rear but you certainly gave me pause for thought.

I also have the diesel variant and it has been spectacularly good over the three years of ownership. Reliability is (or at least always has been) rock-solid - unlike the Ford TDCi I owned previously!
Hello again "kerbed enthusiasm".

Thank you very much for your help.

Please, would it be possible that I see that table in you manual?
(would you be able to email it or show it to me by any other mean?)
In fact, I like the Premacy very much and would have to speak to my dealer, as family is the only one reason why I've bought this car.

Many thanks.

ArcadL.
No problem, other than getting the information to you.

I can try posting it on an old site that I host but it'll be this evening before I get around to it. Easier to email it to you directly but I'd need to catch sight of your email address! Your choice but I'm happy to oblige either way!

Try this

www.squigglytick.co.uk/premacy.htm

sorry that it's so faded...
Dear "kerbed enthusiasm", thank you very much!
I've got it!

AA.