Warranty: cover with irregular Service History - musicmanuk
I have just bought a 3 year old Mondeo from a dealer in Southampton, with 30K on the clock. I found the car on the internet and went to view and purchase the car yesterday. When I originally phoned about the car, I asked if there was a full service history and I was told there was. I did a visual check of the car and went for a test drive. Everything seemed OK. I asked about the Service Book and was told it was in the glove compartment. I didn't check. I paid for the car and drove away.

I couldn't check the car in detail after I got home yesterday, as I had to go out. I used my wife's car as I cannot tax the car I bought until Monday (It was originally resistered in Northern Ireland, and I live in England).

This morning, I checked the car in more detail, including the Service Book. It had one service recorded in it - the one the dealer said had been done as part of their package when selling a used car. The car was a proper Ford Service Book, but there was no history of any other service.

I called some Ford dealers in Belfast, and located the one which had serviced the car last. The dealer said that the car had been serviced in December 2007, and a few parts replaced under warranty. The service was carried out at 20K miles. However, they then went on to say that the first service at 12.5K was missed. Any defects as a result of missing this service would not be covered by Ford. Presumably, this is not a problem as the warranty is 3 years, and the car is just over 3 years old.

I am annoyed I didn't check this before, and probably won't get anywhere with the dealer.

The question I have is, I would like to take out extended warranty cover. If a failure then occurs, will the warranty cover company get out of paying up if they discover the history? Will the fact that Ford replaced some parts under warranty on the service at 20K miles have a positive effect on this?

Edited by Pugugly on 27/09/2008 at 19:40

Warranty Cover with Irregular Service History - J1mbo
Past history is not relavant, you would not be able to extend the Ford Warranty has the original has expired. If you can, it would be very pricy.

I would suggest you look at Genisis (Warranty Administration Ltd) and take out a years cover inc breakdown. As long as its serviced in line with manufactures spec there is no problem. You might have a case against the garage if you were mislead, might be worth speaking to them. For piece of mind, maybe take it to a Rapid Fit for an oil change and visual check perhaps?